New Ruger LCP

This is a discussion on New Ruger LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a new Ruger LCP today. I've been looking for an "anywhere" gun for the past several months. I was at a wedding ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger LCP

New Ruger LCP

I picked up a new Ruger LCP today. I've been looking for an "anywhere" gun for the past several months. I was at a wedding this past weekend and I couldn't hide the Glock 27 under my suit so I went unarmed. My girlfriend and I stopped at a boot store on the way home so I could look for a new pair of boots and while I was trying on a pair of Wolverines my girlfriend came running down the isle and told me that 3 shady looking characters just walked in and asked me if I had my gun. Well you see where this is going. I carry 99.9% of the time and I don't like to be without it.

The Kel-Tec P3AT intrigued me but the fit and finish on the P3AT turned me off. I'm picky when it comes to something that I may have to call on some day to save my life and the P3AT just feels a bit too crude and unrefined for my taste. The Ruger LCP takes what Kel-Tec started and elevates it to the next level. The gun itself looks almost identical to a Kel-Tec P3AT. The fit and finish on the LCP is excellent in comparison to the P3AT. The gun feels very solid and everything fits together very well. The gun does have a slide lock unlike the Kel-Tec but it does not lock back after the magazine has been emptied...it must be engaged by hand. It's a little tough to get the slide to stick open but I'm not sure how important the slide lock is anyway. The trigger pull is long although it breaks very cleanly with no significant overtravel. I'm not sure about the actual trigger weight as I don't have a trigger pull meter but the trigger is consistent. I posted a picture contrasting the LCP against my Glock 27. The profile pic displaying the difference in thickness is too large to post.

I'm going to take the LCP to the range tomorrow to break it in. I'll update this post with the results from my trip to the range.

-Longo
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

I think once they become common on the shelf, I'm going to pick up one!
    Looking forward to the range report. Have you been on a waiting list?
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thanks for sharing, can't wait to see a range report. I have looked at one, but haven't decided if I want a kahr or a LCP. I like the price better on the LCP but but want to know how well it is at the range
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

GC
    This is my first post here, I do lurk some however. This post brought me out of the shadows. Not to divert your post, however, I thought this might be important information to you. Hopefully your LCP doesn't suffer the same problem mine has. Here is a review of my new LCP I posted on a couple of other forums I frequent. The review...

Ok, here it is. I had a chance to get my new Ruger LCP .380 out to shoot today. It was a very pretty day, warm and sunny, with a slight breeze. Instead of heading to my gun club which I knew would be very busy, I went to a very secluded part of the National Forest where I hunt often. After a seven mile twisting, narrow, gravel Forest Service road I finally came to the end of the passable roadway in a nice wide area. There are some really large trees down from a couple of ice storms and they would make for a sure and solid backstop.

I stapled my target to a box, threw a rock in the bottom of the box to hold it in place and pushed this against a huge blown down oak tree. The black area of the target you see in the photo measures 3 7/8" inches exactly. I had stripped the LCP before heading out and given it a complete clean and lube job. I fired a box of fifty CCI 95 gr. FMJ roundnose Blazers with no problems. Recoil was mild, the gun seems to shoot just a tad low, but the LCP functioned perfectly.

Next came a fifty count box of Double Tap 90 gr. Gold Dots at a rated 1,000 fps from a KT barrel. Recoil was a bit snappier, but not objectionable in any way. The little gun fed, fired, and ejected every round without the hint of trouble - perfect! I shot with two hands, strong hand only, weak hand only, point shooting, ect. I could not induce a limp wrist malfunction or any sort of hitch in the get-along from any shooting position or grip. Here is a target with two complete magazine and chamber loadings for a total of 14 rounds in the target from seven yards distance. This was shot from a braced kneeling position. Not benchrest steady, but pretty solid. I was happy enough with the groups considering the intended purpose of this little pocket pistol. The target...

One hundred trouble free rounds and better accuracy than I expected. I'm getting a warm feeling about this new sweet thing! I had a one hundred count box of Winchester white box 95 gr. flat point FMJ's to shoot next. The LCP chewed right through them with zero problems and we are on a roll now. I shot the top tray of fifty rounds and began working my way through the bottom tray of fifty. I'm having a ton of fun and feeling really confident this Ruger handgun is gonna work out.

Until round 177... Some internal part broke on round 177. I fired that 177th cartridge; the gun ejected it and fed number 178 normally. I began the trigger squeeze and knew immediately something was wrong. The trigger came straight back with zero resistance. I glanced down at the gun, no stovepipe or miss feed. I tapped the magazine to make sure it was seated in the gun and then racked the slide. A loaded round was ejected. I inspected that round and there was no strike on the primer. I brought the gun back on target and pulled the trigger again. It was clear the handgun was not going to function, the trigger pulled freely to the rear with no resistance. I racked the slide again with no better results. Sumpin's broke inside!!! The gun will not fire, the trigger doesn't seem to be engaging. 176 good rounds fired then - BUMMER!

I packed my gear and brought it home. I called the dealer and was happy to hear him say, "If I had another one I'd replace that one right now for you no questions! Unfortunately, I don't have one in stock and they are just trickling in with no idea when the next one will be delivered. Bring that one back and I'll ship it to Ruger for you. Ruger will receive it under warranty and fix it for you and we'll make it right. I don't want you to be out a penny on this!" It'll be on its way tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    I think once they become common on the shelf, I'm going to pick up one!
    Looking forward to the range report. Have you been on a waiting list?
    cdwolf,

No, I wasn't on a waiting list. I called several of my local dealers today and one of them told me that one had just arrived and that they hadn't processed it. I asked them to hold it for me and I drove down to pick it up. I was a little surprised to hear they they didn't have a waiting list for them. I just got lucky I guess.

GC,

Thanks for the range report. Have you heard anything from Ruger about the malfunction? I plan to take mine out and put 200 or so rounds through it as I've read that's an acceptable break in procedure. I only hope my LCP doesn't suffer the same fate as yours. I like the idea of an "anywhere" gun but only if the gun is reliable......keeping my fingers crossed.

-Longo

I am so jealous. I pre-ordered mine over a month ago and am waiting on delivery. Let me know how you like it.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Could it be that hammer mainspring broke?

Somewhat off-topic, but how'd your hand feel after 170 rounds? I've heard people say that these little guns are awful on the hands but opinions seem pretty divided. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by GC View Post
    ...Until round 177... Some internal part broke on round 177. I fired that 177th cartridge; the gun ejected it and fed number 178 normally. I began the trigger squeeze and knew immediately something was wrong. The trigger came straight back with zero resistance.

GC
    I have no idea yet what the problem is, another 3 weeks or so and I'll update ya'll on what Ruger has to say. It'll be interesting...

Regarding recoil and feel after the shooting session, I think that is going to be very subjective. I shoot often, mostly .22LR, 9mm, .45ACP, .38 Special and .357 Magnum. However, I also shoot the .41 Magnum and .44 Magnum enough to keep familar with them. Soooo, what I am saying is the range session didn't bother me at all. Maybe someone that shoots less could be uncomfortable with the grip and recoil.

I've carried a Kel-Tec P3AT for 4 years, and yes - I've had multiple Failure to Fire / Failure to Feed issues. This is my BUG, and I just have to go on faith that it wont take a dump in the exact moment that I need it.
    [edit: yes, I've done all the KTOG "fluff and buffs" etc.]

I'm seriously tempted to sell it and pick up one of these Rugers.

Anticipating your range report -

- Resurgam

VIP Member
    Congratulations longo244!

Welcome aboard GC!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Sounds like what happened with my Kel-Tec P11. I experienced the same thing. Broke it all down and found that my trigger bar had broke. Kel-Tec sent me a new one and I replaced it but the gun was never right after that. Hope everything works out.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's never comforting to hear about failures in a gun I own or plan to own; hopefully it's just an isolated incident.

I also had a P3AT that I carried, but it was difficult to field strip and clean. I miss it for the size and light weight, so the LCP looks like it would fill the bill for a replacement carry piece. Hopefully it will be easier to field strip and be just as reliable as my old P3AT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links