Ruger Sr9 Recall: MERGED

This is a discussion on Ruger Sr9 Recall: MERGED within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just want to give a heads up to Ruger SR9 owners. Check out rugers website for all info....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Sr9 Recall: MERGED

Ruger Sr9 Recall: MERGED

Just want to give a heads up to Ruger SR9 owners. Check out rugers website for all info.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If by "all the info" you mean a banner and a dead link, then sure...

Can you summarize, since Ruger apparently can't?

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Found it...

Ruger® Issues Product Safety Warning and Recall Notice of SR9™ Pistol
    April 9, 2008
    Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE:RGR), announces that it has determined that Ruger SR9 pistols manufactured between October 2007 and April 2008 can, under certain conditions, fire if dropped with their manual safeties in the "off" or "fire" position and a round in the chamber. The pistols will not fire if the manual safety is in the "on" or "safe" position.

As a responsible manufacturer, we want to make our customers aware of this safety concern as soon as possible. Ruger is finalizing the design of a new trigger group which prevents firing when dropped and will retrofit at no charge all Ruger SR9 pistols with serial number prefix "330" (330-xxxxx).

SR9 owners can obtain information or register for the recall by:
    • Visiting the Ruger website at: Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
    • E-mail: SR9recall@ruger.com
    • Fax: 928-541-8873
    • Calling the Ruger SR9 Recall Hotline at 800-784-3701 between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. EDT.

When Ruger is ready to retrofit a consumer's pistol, Ruger will send a shipping box, label and instructions for the FREE return of the SR9 pistol to our factory in Prescott, Arizona. Work will be completed promptly at no charge to the consumer and the pistol will be returned at Ruger expense. All owners will receive a FREE SR9 magazine as a "thank you" for their patience and cooperation.

All owners of Ruger SR9 pistols are urged not to use their pistol until it has been retrofitted with these new factory parts. If owners must use their SR9 pistol, the manual safety should be kept in the "on" or "safe" position except when actually firing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess what my prefix number is, hmmm can always use another mag

Quote Originally Posted by Gunney View Post
    Guess what my prefix number is, hmmm can always use another mag
    I'm in the same boat. Just got it last week too.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I just got mine yesterday!

My serial starts with 330 too.

At first I was angry, until I saw the free mag.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Thank you for participating in the SR9 recall. Your information has been received and is being processed.

When we are ready to retrofit your SR9, we will send you a shipping label and shipping box with instructions so you can return your pistol to us FREE of charge. Once we have received your SR9, we will install the new trigger group and return it to you FREE of charge. We also will send you a FREE extra magazine as a 'thank you' for your patience and cooperation. We will make every effort to return your pistol within one week, so we will not ask you to send it to us until we are ready to receive it. We expect to begin sending shipping labels and boxes in mid-May.

REMEMBER, DO NOT LOAD OR FIRE YOUR PISTOL UNTIL IT HAS BEEN FACTORY RETROFITTED WITH NEW PARTS! IF YOU MUST FIRE YOUR PISTOL, BE SURE TO KEEP THE MANUAL SAFETY IN THE 'ON' OR 'SAFE' POSITION EXCEPT WHEN YOU ARE ACTUALLY FIRING.

Thank you,
    Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
    After shipping, mags are $50! So we're getting a pretty good deal
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

Link is fixed: Ruger - SR9™ Product Safety Warning and Recall Notice

Sounds like Ruger is going to be responsible about it. Free shipping, they're going to try to deliver 1-week turnaround, and a free magazine for your trouble.

Also the "flaw" doesn't sound too severe; just keep the dang safety on.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Last edited by JD; April 10th, 2008 at 09:43 AM.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    Also the "flaw" doesn't sound too severe; just keep the dang safety on.
    Yeah seriously.

1) Who drops their gun?
    2) Who drops their gun with the safety off?

I wonder if an incident caused this recall, or if they're doing it preemptively.
    Last edited by JD; April 10th, 2008 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whyipackmy45 View Post
    Yeah seriously.

1) Who drops their gun?
    2) Who drops their gun with the safety off?

I wonder if an incident caused this recall, or if they're doing it preemptively.
    It's that old risk management strategy...

Take the number of faulty products in the market place, multiply by calculated risk of an incident, multiply that by the average settlement amount - if that number is more than it would cost to do a recall, then you do a recall

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I'm not terribly happy about this, but at least Ruger is taking care of it.

A few SR9 owners have stated that they would only use the manual safety as they were holstering their gun, then they'd take it off while it was in the holster and present that gun as if it were DAO. So, it would be possible for their SR9 to slip out of it's holster, with a round in the chamber and the safety off.

-JT

I'm glad I read this, as a buddy of mine at work has one. I will be sure to tell him.

I don't see how anyone could be angry about this, at least they are being responsible for the situation, and 1 week turnaround?! thats amazing..
    Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

Quote Originally Posted by garn View Post
    I don't see how anyone could be angry about this, at least they are being responsible for the situation, and 1 week turnaround?! thats amazing..
    And a $50 magazine. I'm actually siked about this.

Sponsor

Ruger SR9 recall

We got notice yesterday from our distributor that the SR9 is being recalled.

We have to go through our 4473 records and contact every person who bought one about this. You can read about it here:

Ruger SR9 pistols manufactured between October 2007 and April 2008

Ruger - SR9™ Product Safety Warning and Recall Notice

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links