Stop the pain!

Stop the pain!

This is a discussion on Stop the pain! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, I now have about 1000 rounds through my P40 I purchased what, a couple months ago... I've noticed a few things. From going to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop the pain!

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar

Stop the pain!

Okay, I now have about 1000 rounds through my P40 I purchased what, a couple months ago... I've noticed a few things.

From going to the range at least weekly, I've developed a callous on my trigger finger, and a couple slashes in my load thumb from loading mags. Also, the same thumb has been pounded relentlessly by my slide stop that HAD a very sharp corner on it:

Notice the red area just forward of the first joint.

Anyhow, I've taken my Dremel to the slide stop to solve it:

The trigger is very sharp at the bottom, and lots of rapid fire practice causes a lot of pain to my index finger. I don't want to start dremeling my trigger, I don't think that's a solution. Is there anyone that has had similar problems and come up with a good solution? Maybe I need a good gunsmith in my area that can soften up the trigger for me and make it more comfortable to shoot?

A picture of where my finger ends up after placing it correctly and releasing the trigger:

Here is what my finger looks like after a couple weeks of good practice:

And here is the trigger: as you can see, the bottom edge is not very cozy looking, it definately could use some work

Yeah, it's an EDC firearm, but I also shoot it a lot in order to remain profficient. I use my fingers for work and they need to remain injury free. help?

VIP Member
    I'd have a gunsmith de-horn that sucker!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator
    Well, your problem with using your Dremel is that you did a rough grind but, now you have to clean that up by finishing with a cratex rubberized abrasive wheel which will allow you to smooth and polish that grind on your slide stop.
    Then finish with some fine 3-M Wet or Dry paper and apply some cold blue.
    Because what you have now sort of looks like a butcher shop job. You can easily clean that up. You want to buy a Cratex "shaped point" assortment.

Brownell's would be a good place to get them from.

Once you try using the Cratex wheel and see how evenly and smoothly it removes metal you probably WILL want to do your trigger.

Also you can carefully and lightly break the knife-sharp edges on your magazine feed lips.
    That would be the top edges that are cutting your thumb because they serve no function/ purpose in feeding the cartridges into the barrel chamber.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, your problem with using your Dremel is that you did a rough grind but, now you have to clean that up by finishing with a cratex rubberized abrasive wheel which will allow you to smooth and polish that grind on your slide stop.
    Then finish with some fine 3-M Wet or Dry paper and apply some cold blue.

Once you try using the Cratex wheel and see how evenly and smoothly it removes metal you probably WILL want to do your trigger.

Also you can carefully and lightly break the knife-sharp edges on your magazine feed lips.
    That would be the top edges that are cutting your thumb because they serve no function/ purpose in feeding the cartridges into the barrel chamber.
    I'll check out the Cratex thing. Yeah, I just did a quick rough grind, I have lots of stuff to polish it up, all the way to 2000 wet/dry sandpaper, and a cotton wheel etc... I'm curious about the Cratex though.

Still, I don't think the bottom of the trigger would be helped much by removing material. I think it needs to be built up, if anything. I remember reading somewhere about a guy who was building up Kahr triggers to lengthen the trigger reach.

The Cratex assortment is $75... ouch!

Administrator
    Try just searching Ebay for "cratex" - you should be able to get a deal there. That's where I bought my last batch. I didn't want to suggest Ebay since I did not know if there were any for sale there at the time I posted my reply.
    You'll love using them.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    Still, I don't think the bottom of the trigger would be helped much by removing material. I think it needs to be built up, if anything.
    You could try a trigger shoe. I don't know if they are cheesy, or ergonomic, or how difficult they are to keep installed.

Tyler Manufacturing and Distribution Company, Inc
    Click on "trigger shoes" on the left side of the page.

I know kel-tec manufactures them for their handguns:
    PF-9 Accessories : Kel-Tec

Quote Originally Posted by DistantHorizon View Post
    You could try a trigger shoe. I don't know if they are cheesy, or ergonomic, or how difficult they are to keep installed.

Tyler Manufacturing and Distribution Company, Inc
    Click on "trigger shoes" on the left side of the page.

I know kel-tec manufactures them for their handguns:
    PF-9 Accessories : Kel-Tec

I used to run trigger shoes on my paintball guns, they were great. The company at your link doesn't make them for Kahr pistols. I'm not sure they'd be a good idea, however, in an EDC situation where they could cause a snag on clothing or something.

Good idea though.

I think the best thing for the trigger would be a custom trigger being thicker, and round at the bottom with no sharp edges. I'll have to find a good gunsmith for that, I guess.

Invest in the greatest invention of the decade...the UpLULA
    Butler Creek Products
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Invest in the greatest invention of the decade...the UpLULA
    Butler Creek Products
    :D I've already been searching... Every online distributor seems to be on back order, but I have a bid in on Ebay. Definately a cool product.

Butler Creek has (or did last week) in stock if your bid doesn't make it.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Ouch!
    Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

I had a P9 that did the same things to me, after several frustrating attempts to remedy the situation I finally sold it. I have now ended up with a Glock 26 and couldn't be more happier - no more cuts. I would look at getting a Glock 27 or you may want to look at the Cylinder and Slide website as they do custom carry packages for Kahr pistols. Unfortunately either way you go it will cost you some cash. If Kahr ever addresses the sharp issues I might buy one again, but until then, no way Jose!

I have a P9, and it seems as if the trigger guard was designed intentionally to hurt your trigger finger. I find it necessary to use a bandaid when I shoot it. That does the job. I have a friend who uses a turn or two of electrical tape when he shoots pistols.

I also have found that the cushion on my fingers is much less than it used to be and even my 1911s hurt my trigger finger.

A bandaid or something similar takes the pain out of shooting.

Regards,
    Jerry

Tease!!! The website won't let me order...

Unfortunately their online store is under construction and isn't working presently !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links