My wife is a BAD influence

This is a discussion on My wife is a BAD influence within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When my wife and I got married guns made her very nervous. I talked to her a lot and reassured her of how, as long ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wife is a BAD influence

Cool My wife is a BAD influence

When my wife and I got married guns made her very nervous. I talked to her a lot and reassured her of how, as long as proper safety is used, guns can be very safe.

Last year she finally consented to letting me buy a handgun (I already owned a shotgun). I also started talking about getting my ccw permit. She was ok with the idea, but didn't really show a lot of interest in getting hers.

A few months later, out of the blue, she started talking about getting her own gun and getting her ccw. We looked at a lot of guns together and she finally decided on a Springfield XD9sc. We found a good deal online and bought one for her.

In February we took our class together and applied for our permits. After getting the permits a few weeks ago, we made our Wal-Mart trip and she hasn't carried since. In talking to her about it she said that she loves her XD, but it just doesn't conceal well. I told her that she might have to get a different holster and/or change her wardrobe. No, she wants another gun! I said that we could sell the XD and get something else, but she likes it and wants to carry it during the winter. I then showed her some small, lightweight revolvers and she has decided that her next gun is a s&w 642 airweight

This means that she will own more handguns than me and that's not good, so I will need another one. So my wife is a bad influence, making us buy more guns I've created a monster

After looking a revolvers for her, I have been bitten by the snubby bug (as have many of you guys apparently). While I really want a 1911, I think I might pick up a Charter arms Off Duty .38 only 12oz.

Anyway, sorry for the long post.
    Last edited by Aaron4_6; April 10th, 2008 at 08:21 PM.

2. Remove Ads

lol

I've been trying to talk my wife in to going to the range for years.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

VIP Member
    Be a little wary of the ultra-light snubbies - I know several women (heck, and men, too!) who are put off by the relatively harsh recoil in the lightest of them. Great guns, but not the most fun to shoot!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Be a little wary of the ultra-light snubbies - I know several women (heck, and men, too!) who are put off by the relatively harsh recoil in the lightest of them. Great guns, but not the most fun to shoot!
    Yeah, I warned her about that. She will probably just shoot regular .38 and not +p. It won't be a range gun, just something for summer carry that she will shoot only enough to be proficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron4_6 View Post
    So my wife is a good influence, making us buy more guns
    fixed that for ya

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I bought a used SW 351 PD....22 magnum, approx 13 oz. loaded. For, God forbid, up close and personal. And the recoil isn't really......Theye also make 22 cal in revolvers....Well placed shot, with that gun you get 8...
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    my wife finally got our ccw license this year...out of the blue...
    make sure your wife looks at the snubbies and can run the trigger effectively...the 642 trigger pull is heavy...
    but it is a great firearm to conceal and carry...and if it isn't a range gun...she doesn't have to put alot of rounds through it, just enough to be comfortable....another good thing about a wheelie...no break in period.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

My wife just took the course and on the first night came home and said "Wow, I find revolvers much easier to use than semi-autos so I think that's what I want." No arguement here. I'm hoping my dealer will give me a package deal on a couple of 442s. Aint it great when they come around to realizing that guns are fun and can be handled safely?
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

I think maybe I will get a J frame also. I like the looks of the Charter Off Duty, but I've read some less than great things about them. Plus I know I can't go wrong with smith & wesson

Quote Originally Posted by Bline View Post
    Aint it great when they come around to realizing that guns are fun and can be handled safely?
    Yeah and it's nice to have a readily available shooting parter at the range, and a backup when your out and about together. You got her back and shes got yours, makes a formidable duo.

You are lucky,

A change in her wardrobe would have cost you a lot more than 2 new guns!

Dauff

Quote Originally Posted by dauff View Post
    You are lucky,

A change in her wardrobe would have cost you a lot more than 2 new guns!

Dauff
    Yes, and not nearly as much fun!

The 642 is a great firearm. I just got mine back from the gunsmith. I had a trigger job done to it. It made a world of difference. The recoil is a little sharp but not too bad. The 642 is so light you will forget it is there.

Many wives will, at some point, come around to a more serious approach to CCW...mine only took 32 years, and two more years to actually start having a weapon on her person...and finally, one more year to start a 'regular' CCW pattern...

See? There is hope...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well my wife sure is the opposite. She has the problem that every time she goes to the local pawn shop to look at the diamonds she always comes home with a new gun. The woman the owns the shop also has a well stocked gun shop at the same location and those two start looking at guns and one always seems to find it's way home with her. I keep trying to talk her into a nice diamond but it just never works
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links