night sights or flashlight paired with handgun

This is a discussion on night sights or flashlight paired with handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Night sights on the defensive primary, flashlight for the off hand in the off chance there's time to field it. If I have to shine ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: night sights or flashlight paired with handgun

VIP Member
    Night sights on the defensive primary, flashlight for the off hand in the off chance there's time to field it. If I have to shine a flashlight on a target to identify it, I'm already toast or I'm looking for trouble when I ought to be in cover or a safe room. The three dots (esp the front) are quicker in daylight, and in mid light the tritiums are required equipment. Generally, nothing is really totally dark, but rather inconsistant. A street light down the block or a lit sign somewhere can play havoc with visual perception. If, through some extroardinary circumstance, you absolutely must traverse the dim path, your position is already known to the resident goblins who lurk, and the occasional sweep of your blinding light may give them pause and uncertainty. Without the element of surprise, they may wait for another less aware victim. You might also keep your fingers crossed.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

2. Remove Ads

1952 - 2006
    I can give you personal experience with using night sights.

While at Thunder Ranch during several night drills, I found that I was shooting tighter groups in low light than I was during the day. That green light bulb just yelled "Look at me!!!" and I did.

IMO once you actually use night sights in the lighting conditions they were designed for you'll never be without them.

As far as using a light, I have a SureFire 6P that I carry anytime I carry my 1911, (which is all the time) and I practice the "Harries Technique" in utilizing it. I find it to be stable and accurate enough for defensive work.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    I can give you personal experience with using night sights.

While at Thunder Ranch during several night drills, I found that I was shooting tighter groups in low light than I was during the day. That green light bulb just yelled "Look at me!!!" and I did.

IMO once you actually use night sights in the lighting conditions they were designed for you'll never be without them.

As far as using a light, I have a SureFire 6P that I carry anytime I carry my 1911, (which is all the time) and I practice the "Harries Technique" in utilizing it. I find it to be stable and accurate enough for defensive work.
    I'm with you 100%
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links