night sights or flashlight paired with handgun

This is a discussion on night sights or flashlight paired with handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was speaking with the gunsmith thats working on my G.I. 1911-A1. I inquired about nightsights. He told me that he much prefers the original ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: night sights or flashlight paired with handgun

Question night sights or flashlight paired with handgun

I was speaking with the gunsmith thats working on my G.I. 1911-A1. I inquired about nightsights. He told me that he much prefers the original G.I. sights. Cause the large posts are a pain for him. I like small narrow posts myself, and have no problems shooting with the factory sights, truthfully I like them. I my grouping is only slightly larger when I shoot with one hand. Im considering just using my Shurefire with my left hand, if I have to shoot in low light conditions.

I figure there is pros and cons to doing this.
    The pros would be: Having the target and sights lit up, with the light disorienting the target. The cons would be: less stability with aiming, and having my position lit up(which muzzle flash would do regardless). Pulse having both hands doing separate tasks, and occupied.

Whats you opinion?

2. Remove Ads

Practice practice practice. Learn to point shoot with that gun one handed. That's my approach anyway.

That and I don't go anywhere after dark if I can help it. That said I've been out after dark 4 times this week.

Assistant Administrator
    I would favor light off the gun - but practice as Euc says.

Get good at the needed dexterity to employ a small flashlight (I only use E1e on purpose) - and so practice too with single hand shooting - extend that too if possible to two handed with light. For any individual (IMO) and hand size and gun platform - there will be a two handed hold that is close to what you manage with no light.

Night sights tho - I think are very advantageous and I personally also like CT grips - all in all - a useful combination of options.

I also do not venture out a great deal after dark - other than office to house etc.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I like night Sights and Light off the Gun

Lead Moderator
    I don't see much need for night sights personally. You need to light up your target at night to ID it anyway. And your light should be pointed the same direction as your gun.

I use the night sights for my weapons. I also like the concept of a flashlight off the weapon for use in certain situations.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    I don't see much need for night sights personally. You need to light up your target at night to ID it anyway. And your light should be pointed the same direction as your gun.
    +1 Use the light in the weak hand and the gun in your strong hand. The night sights will not help you ID your target in the dark, the light will.

I got a lite that was inexpensive so I could decide if it was right for me.personally I want to be sure of my target and giving away my position is of no concern to me since I am not in a battle zone and if I had to do business I will be putting rounds down range and my lite will not be on his mind but me hitting him will be.if you have been on the recieving end of a tactical lite you dont see anything because you are blinded.lites attatch easy and come off easy also.when home it is on,and unless I get a holster like a safariland or the like the lite is not going to be on the pistol.the only time I would need the lite is home in a dark hallway or out in the yard.out and about for me it's not that dark that I would have a target go/no go situation.since this has come up a few months ago I had a home invasion get his mind changed real quick.I had gotten a flash suppressor for the bushmaster and had installed it,set it aside standing up,and was gathering my mess up and heard the back door open and 3-5 seconds later a freak was turning around and heading out the door.I only looked up because I was alone and was not expecting company(thats why I was doing this in the front room).I whent out the back door after getting a mag and found that this guy was gone really fast.I realised that the investment in a lite for that weapon was well worth it.I had no problems since and found the lite to be VERY brite.people around here are unbelieveable,2 breakins and this.this summer.while I have no intentions of going after someone and shooting I feel that it is important for the invader to see that I don't just stand there and not do anything in reply to him entering.that is why I whent out side,I know someone will hammer me for doing that but in my shoes what would many people do?

sorry for the long reply I had this out of my mind until I got started.
    and the breakins, they did get tools and other things, but after I posted "protected by Bushmaster and HK" no more break ins.I had 2 in 3 weeks.and it was 6pm while we were home.

get a lite,that way if you need one you have it.I would not want to shoot a drunk that thinks he is home,that actually has happend in my area.the police shot and did not see very well.turned out he was 23 and drunk thinkin he was climbing in his window.if I did that it would be called murder and I would be gone for life.

OD*
    The night sights will not help you ID your target in the dark, the light will.
    True, but it will not help you see your sights. There are many occasions when you can see a possible threat-target and NOT see your sights. In my experience, having both can be very reassuring.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

If nothing else night sights Help ya locate your gun in the Dark when i turn and open eyes at my Table by bed those 3 green dots jump right out at me and i know excatly where the bad lad is

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    I don't see much need for night sights personally. You need to light up your target at night to ID it anyway. .
    They're far more useful in low-light situations than at night - in a poorly-lit back warehouse, for instance. You can ID your target clearly, but traditional sight picture ain't ever going to happen without them.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

small flashlight and CT grips do the job when I'm out after dark.
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

Senior Moderator
    Good point Bud, I had forgot about that. But there's nothing more comforting in the night than looking in the direction of your gun and seeing those dots.

There are times that there is enough light to identify a threat, but you really can't acquire the sights quickly because they blend in with the target. It is rather surprising how night sights show up well even when there's enough light to see fairly well.

For what it's worth, a flashlight discloses your position and night sights don't.

But, the bottom line for me is both. It's not really one or the other.

Administrator
    I do not ever want any "flashlight" actually mounted on my defensive handgun. On a "close in" defensive shotgun or long gun...fine but, never on my personal defense handgun. Unless they can design one that is about the size of a toothpick.
    That is just not for me.

An internal laser or CT grips are fine if you want them.
    I think they have some honest value.

I like tritium night sights.
    And, yes there really are low light, dusk, pre~dawn & night situations where they really would be decently useful.
    Not because you'll not be able function defensively without them but, because they do make "getting on target" slightly quicker and lots easier.
    They "shave off" a precious bit of time & do not add any bulk or appendages to the weapon so "why not"
    Just my humble O~penguin on all of this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

It's my rpersonal rule ot never own a gun without night sights. I also have a Surefire that I practice shooting with in my left hand. I'm also getting a weaponlight for my HK. Might as well have both incase I need to drop the light in my left hand, to block an imcoming hit or something.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links