All-Steel Snubby Advice

All-Steel Snubby Advice

This is a discussion on All-Steel Snubby Advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well guys I currently carry a SIG 239 and would like to change over to snubby carry..... A guy my wife works with offered me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

All-Steel Snubby Advice

Well guys I currently carry a SIG 239 and would like to change over to snubby carry.....

A guy my wife works with offered me an all Steel model 640 38+p only pre-lock with a set of Craig Spegel wood grips, Uncle Mikes Boot Grips, the stock grips and the "hip clip" grips or whatever they are called, several boxes of premium self defense ammo (Golden-Saber, Hydra-Shok, Glaser and Cor-Bon DPX) and 3 speed strips plus $100 bucks for my SIG 239..........

#1 What do you guys think of this deal?

#2 How do you all take the all steel snubby? How do you carry yours I would think a high ride pancake would work great but it may weigh to much for pocket carry.......

#3 Any other info I should know etc?

Thanks in advance.
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    Well guys I currently carry a SIG 239 and would like to change over to snubby carry.....

A guy my wife works with offered me an all Steel model 640 38+p only pre-lock with a set of Craig Spegel wood grips, Uncle Mikes Boot Grips, the stock grips and the "hip clip" grips or whatever they are called, several boxes of premium self defense ammo (Golden-Saber, Hydra-Shok, Glaser and Cor-Bon DPX) and 3 speed strips plus $100 bucks for my SIG 239..........

#1 What do you guys think of this deal?

#2 How do you all take the all steel snubby? How do you carry yours I would think a high ride pancake would work great but it may weigh to much for pocket carry.......

#3 Any other info I should know etc?

Thanks in advance.
    Josh
    The weight issue of a steel vs. an alloy is minimal.

The snubby works best with a bobbed or internal hammer, if not you have the spur cut off, or use a Dremmel tool and do it yourself..

I personally do not like pocket carry. I use either a SmartCarry or a K&D Defender IWB. The belt clip, I understand is convenient, not sure about retention with it though.

Obviously felt recoil in a steel is better than with an alloy.

+P ammo is IMO a waste. These are close quarter, bad-breath distance weapons.

The value between the two, you'll have to look up yourself, GunBroker.com or AuctionArms.com should give you an idea. I'd say keep 'em both.

Happy Shooting

Get both

The S&W 640 is an excellent gun, but so is the Sig P239. If you can swing it, I would recommend getting the revolver and keeping the Sig as well. But in answer to your question about value, I believe the used Sig P239 is worth about $500, which may also be a fair value for the revolver with the attachments you mentioned.

It is good that the revolver is a prelock model, but unfortunate that it can only shoot .38 and not .357 magnum. I think S&W made the 640 in both varieties.

I think a high ride pancake is good for a steel J frame revolver. It will hold it so high on the belt that you don't really need IWB to conceal the barrel. You can buy such a holster from Kramer, Galco or DeSantis, among others.

Here is a photo from the web of a model 640 - this particular one is ported. The second photo is a J frame in a Kramer belt scabbard holster:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I'm going to assume that both guns are in similar condition, in which case that sounds like a fair/good deal. What's your holster worth, does it go with the deal? Same for his.

Opportunity to try out some different grips without having to go spend more money (though realistically, you'll get use out of one set, + the originals are nice to keep with the gun). Ammo isn't cheap these days, and a hundred bucks buys a new holster. You could even sell the Spegals on here or gunbroker if you don't like 'em; new, they're around $60 & up.

1. Make SURE you want a snubby before you sell your carry.

2. Check the revolver before you buy.
    Revolver checkout: how to tell if a particular specimen is any good - TheFiringLine Forums
    This is a lot easier to do if you've practiced it (on another revolver) beforehand.

3. Be sure you won't regret selling the Sig.

I recently picked up what sounds like the same model J-Frame your looking at. The guy behind the counter weighed it for me and said it weighed 17 oz., which sounds about right.

Mine is the 640 .38 spl, pre-lock. It came with a Galco, U.S.A. Ultimate Second Amendment holster. It's condition was dirty, but cleaned up nicely, and was otherwise very good. I bought this used, at a gun store, for $260+ tax. No box or papers, just the gun and holster.

Last used P239 I say was 9mm and went for $500 with an extra mag.

Hope this helps.

Sigs are $500-600 NIB (on average). 640s about $400. Used, Sigs will be more because of the name. If you want a snub, and if the 640 in good condition, grab it- there's none finer.

Regarding the weight difference, to me even a few ounces was noticable for pocket carry. My 36 is 5 ounces heavier than my wife's 642, and for pocket carry it seems much heavier to me. YMMV.

While I don't own any SIGs, I'd never part with one. If possible, I say keep your SIG and buy a snubbie.

Good luck.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by theghostrider View Post
    Mine is the 640 .38 spl, pre-lock. It came with a Galco, U.S.A. Ultimate Second Amendment holster. It's condition was dirty, but cleaned up nicely, and was otherwise very good. I bought this used, at a gun store, for $260+ tax. No box or papers, just the gun and holster.
    Wow, you stole that! I've never seen one that cheap. Where do you shop?

Administrator
    "I would think a high ride pancake would work great."

OWB in a nice pancake high ride works fantastically well.
    Make sure you have a stiff gun belt.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    I wouldnt make that trade, you are getting the short end of the stick.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by DistantHorizon View Post
    Wow, you stole that! I've never seen one that cheap. Where do you shop?
    It was a local place here in MI. I was in there the day before and it wasn't there then, so I think I got it the day it showed up.

Owning both steel-framed and alloy-framed snubs makes me recommend the all steel versions. I think they're more satisfactory to shoot.

I suggest that you go handle an all steel vs alloy snubbie. I feel the "carry" weight difference is substantial. I had an opportunity to purchase a friends unfired sp101 w/2" barrel at a great price (and will own one eventually) but the weight was a little much (especially for pocket carry). I can easily carry my S&W 37-2 airweight all day in my front pocket but not an all steel snubbie. Good luck with a tough choice. Also I think that the "recoil" of alloy snubbies is quite overstated, I was actually disappointed in the lack of snap of my snubbie (as weird as that sounds).

I wouldn't make that trade. You're not gaining anything except pocket carry-ability, and you're losing quite a bit of operational effectiveness. Plus, if you want to pocket carry, I'd recommend an Airweight or lighter. Love J-frames and have a 442 myself, but they're not the equal of even a small auto in terms of practicality as a primary weapon. Great BUGs and guns for specific circumstances.

I second the Kramer belt scabbard if you do ever belt-carry a J-frame, however. (For your SIG, as well.) If you pocket carry, Mika (like lots of others on the board).

I would second what AgentX said, I had a S&W 642 that was a great little revolver but now I carry a Glock 26 in its place. Having 10+1 rounds of 9mm+P versus 5 rounds of .38 special +P was no contest IMHO. If your heart is set on a short barrel revolver, may I suggest that you take a look at the Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum. You get a steel frame revolver with either a standard or a bobbed hammer and a choice of 2" or 3" barrel. The recoil is about the same as a medium size K frame S&W. High quality and versatility in that you have a choice of .38+P or .357 magnum. I also would recommend a high ride pancake holster. I think you will be sorry later on if you traded your Sig P239.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links