Trigger bite with an XD-40 subcompact

This is a discussion on Trigger bite with an XD-40 subcompact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just ran 100 rnds through my new XD-40 this afternoon. A nasty suprise awaited as the pad of my trigger finger got pinched during recoil ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trigger bite with an XD-40 subcompact

Just ran 100 rnds through my new XD-40 this afternoon. A nasty suprise awaited as the pad of my trigger finger got pinched during recoil between the bottom of the trigger blade safety and the trigger guard. I suspect that I may be reaching a little too deep on the trigger, but I thought to ask all here, Has anyone else had this experience?

As always, I prefer to 'grip the pistol naturally', and as such I would prefer not to adjust my grip to shorten my reach into the trigger guard. Obviously, I am not highly trained on the mechanics of grips, trigger pull, etc, and I suspect a lesson with a quality teaching professional would reveal wonders. But of course, I seek free advise first.

Welcome to the forums

I don't have an XD (although I'd love to get one in .45) but I'll throw in my inflation-adjusted two cents...

Although your "natural grip" may have some advantages (such as being easily repeatable and comfortable), it's probably not ideal. The ideal grip on a semiauto pistol is basically "as high as you can grip it without getting slide bite". Keep the barrel as low in your hand as possible.

Most people instinctively want to put the trigger in or near the first nuckle of their trigger finger. This induces trigger flinch and other grip problems. The pad of your finger (usually where the "swirl" in your fingerprint is, about halfway between the first knuckle and tip of the index finger) is the area that should be in contact with the trigger.

Bottom line is, you're probably going to need to get used to a slightly different grip.

Here's a great video on grip and sight picture by an IDPA champ: YouTube - Todd Jarrett on pistol shooting.

Good luck.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Welcome!

I I'd love to help you out, but I haven't run into the same problem with my new XD-9 SC. Shoots like a dream. Hope you get it figured out.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

I did that once. The recoil on it seems to push the gun up on my grip if I fire it quickly with the 9 round mag in it. I have a heck of a grip, and no other weapon does it so that is what I figure the problem is. I have had the trigger nip at me once, my hands were a little sweaty and the thing just barely got me - enough for me to notice but that was it.

thanks guys, I suspect I was acting like a big kid with a new toy, ignoring the fundamentals and making smoke and noise!

bingo on the above. never had the problem, but have seen others, and their form, albeit it got the job done, wasnt how things were designed around.

study and practice better form until IT becomes your "natural" way of doing it.

A trigger kit with an over travel stop will likely cure your problem, whether it's due to you or the gun, is a different matter.

The video in post #2 is great and you can probably learn a lot from it.

If you keep having problems, you might want to check out XDTalk Forums - Your HS2000/SA-XD Information Source!.

Some people do have some problems with the trigger safety, and most have either taken a fine file and rounded the edges so that it sits flush with the trigger, or installed a slightly lower tension spring for the trigger safety.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Some people do have some problems with the trigger safety, and most have either taken a fine file and rounded the edges so that it sits flush with the trigger, or installed a slightly lower tension spring for the trigger safety.
    The trigger safety was high on my XD40SC by quite a bit and I did "flush it". It made a big difference. I did still get "trigger slap" on certain reloads I was trying as I was working up accuracy loads. (I liked the trigger on my M&P better than the XD due to it's smooth surface.)

Cloudpeak

Never had that problem-my thang was the ejection port kept hanging up my draw w/MS VMII.

Go figure.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

I got an xd compact in 45acp and i,v never had that prob.

In a follow up report:

I am at ~500 rounds through this XD-40 SC and, drum roll please, the trigger bite is lessening as predicted. Still some tenderness to the trigger finger, but whatever the cause, it is reducing with break in.

+1 (see: learning the forum lingo) for Springfield customer service. Called SA and they requested that I send it back. They sent me an email that printed the prepaid shipping label and quoted a 4 week turnaround time. I have yet to send it, not wanting to be parted from my new toy, but I suppose I should have it looked at to be thorough. It is always an advantage to have a factory armorer look over an everyday carry piece I suppose.

Now I will have to clean it tho........

BUMP

Great kudos for SA.

At their customer service suggestion, I sent my XD40SC back for a nasty trigger slap. I thought it was reducing with breakin, but after a 'range buddy' ran a mag through and said, "***t that hurts" I sent my EDC gun back.

11 days later, yes count them 11 including the three day holiday, my little friend was back in my hands. I only wish I had the time for a range report to discuss the impact of the "adjust trigger and block" lingo on the invoice.

Stay tuned folks, I will report in full as soon as I can pull the trigger.

mld

Glad to hear Springfield's customer service is solid.

Let us know how it shoots now.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Last edited by Pete Zaria; June 1st, 2008 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Whoops! Already posted that link in a previous post.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

hmm I have the same gun and I never had that happen.

Get rid of it and buy a Glock....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links