Purchased a S&W MP9 For First Concealed Gun

This is a discussion on Purchased a S&W MP9 For First Concealed Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was tossing around a Glock and the MP9 . The MP9 felt better in my hand. Still waiting on my permit should be another ...

I was tossing around a Glock and the MP9 . The MP9 felt better in my hand. Still waiting on my permit should be another 4 weeks I hope. I figured I buy a gun so they would have a serial number when giving me the permit and not waiting again for them to add the gun later. I am 5'8 about 200lbs and built pretty big , not heavy. I was wondering will I have a problem concealing and what holster would be better to help conceal it. I am open to an IWB or OWB holster.

I am 5'10" and 210 lbs. so we are built the same - hansome! Just kidding. I have a Glock 26 that is similar to your MP9 and I can pocket carry it in a Desantis Nemesis holster if the pocket is large enough, otherwise I will carry it OWB. There should be a whole bushel basket full of good holsters for you to choose from. So that choice will be a personal one for you to make and not me. However, that being said I like the Yaqui Slide type that any of the major holster makers sell.

I just realized that you have the full sized MP9 and not the MP9c compact. This rules out pocket carry, but not the suggestion of the Yaqui Slide type. Hope this helps you.

Nice gun I was also basically choosing between the MP9 and the glock.

Congrats on the M&P9! I have the M&P9 and M&P9c. I personally carry the compact over the fullsize because I find it more comfortable to carry and easier to conceal well. For comparison, I am 5'6", about 145#, and have a small build. I have carried the fullsize M&P before and still do provided my dress and cover garments allow. With the compact, it seems as though I have more flexibility.

As for carry method, that is really up to the user. I have used both IWB and OWB. I find OWB more comfortable but harder to conceal unless using a jacket or fleece. IWB, for me, is easier to conceal, but at times, can be uncomfortable depending on the day's activities.

For actual holsters, I have used quite a few including K&D, Brommeland, UGB, Blade-Tech, and Comp-Tac. Again, holster choice comes down to the individual users. What works for some may not work for others. Have you ever heard of the infamous "holster drawer" or "bag of holsters"? In your quest for a good holster that works for YOU, I am certain you will end up with one.

Good luck!

Links