FN FiveSeveN

This is a discussion on FN FiveSeveN within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have experience with the FN FiveSeveN? How does it shoot? How's the quality? etc. etc. I can't help but love the idea of ...

Thread: FN FiveSeveN

FN FiveSeveN

Does anyone have experience with the FN FiveSeveN?

How does it shoot? How's the quality? etc. etc.

I can't help but love the idea of a) 20 rd mag and b) a pistol with "almost" rifle cartridges. Then again uniqueness has always intrigued me.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

Cool GLOCKish?

Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag
    Does anyone have experience with the FN FiveSeveN?

How does it shoot? How's the quality? etc. etc.

I can't help but love the idea of a) 20 rd mag and b) a pistol with "almost" rifle cartridges. Then again uniqueness has always intrigued me.
    I have a buddy who bought one and a case of the AP before it became illegal. HE says it's a cute toy, but he still carries a 45 for self defense. If you handle one (I've held his gun but not fired it) it feels a little bit blocky and "GLOCKish" without the sense of solidity that a Glock conveys. It shoots a round that is smaller than a 22. When you say "almost a rifle" to me it's in the same vein as saying the 5.56mm is almost a rifle round.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

no real shooting exp but it is light and looks like its fun to shoot almost bought one but other guns came first

Assistant Administrator
    It is of interest for sure but for me not a viable carry option. Sure would like one tho to ''play with'' !

Going up in size a bit (and ignoring its uglyness!) the CZ-52 with its 7.62x25 round is potentially pretty useful but again - I think higher velocity light bullet rounds are too risky in places where rule #4 aspects would be critical.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

OD*
    It shoots a round that is smaller than a 22.
    A 5.7 is a .224 no?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Assistant Administrator
    A 5.7 is a .224 no?
    Yep - AFAIK that is close enough!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Not for a carry gun. Small , fast bullets that over penetrate and make small holes.

This is the idea pistol for killing zombies.

Like anything else, it'll carve out a niche and a fanatical following and the rest of us will ignore it because we have our own niche to fanatically follow.

I've shot two mags through one.

Recoil is extremely light, like an airsoft gun. Accuracy is very, very good. It is a centerfire round, so it'll go off reliably.

Overpenetration isn't something I'd worry about much - it has qualities that make it more likely to penetrate a specific type of barrier (body armor) but it won't do much otherwise. We shot it without fear into the trap here and no probelms were reported or noticed after taking it down for cleaning.

I personally like a bigger bullet, but I'll wait to see what the real world jury says about it first.

I liked the feel and handing better than a Glock. It was different than other pistols, but not necessarily a bad thing.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    I've shot two mags through one.

Recoil is extremely light, like an airsoft gun. Accuracy is very, very good. It is a centerfire round, so it'll go off reliably.

Overpenetration isn't something I'd worry about much - it has qualities that make it more likely to penetrate a specific type of barrier (body armor) but it won't do much otherwise. We shot it without fear into the trap here and no probelms were reported or noticed after taking it down for cleaning.

I personally like a bigger bullet, but I'll wait to see what the real world jury says about it first.

I liked the feel and handing better than a Glock. It was different than other pistols, but not necessarily a bad thing.
    What's the cost on ammo? What would you estimate as the max effective range? What about report and muzzle flash?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Cost on ammo is astronomical right now - FN still doesn't have out the non-AP stuff and I shot it back when it was a sedate $20 per box as opposed to $50+ now.

Max effective range I'd say drops pretty quickly - as the velocity sheds, so does the effectiveness of the bullet. I've only shot at our 10m indoor trap.

Report was mild - somewhere between 22 and 32 with a little more snap. Muzzle flash wasn't visible in the single incandescent of the basement where I shot it.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Links