Does anyone here CC a .44 mag or bigger? - Page 3

Does anyone here CC a .44 mag or bigger?

This is a discussion on Does anyone here CC a .44 mag or bigger? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Chum ??? I carry a 1911 often; the rest of the time 9mm. However, if I felt the need for artillery, I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Chum View Post
    ???
    I carry a 1911 often; the rest of the time 9mm. However, if I felt the need for artillery, I would opt for the .460 Rowland kit for my 1911. It would seem to be more powerful than a .44mag. For those of you in bear country, I'd carry this with 230gr or even 250 gr in FMJ or hard-cast for penetrating something as tough as bears. If you don't know the .460 Rowland, it's impressive.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

I have an lar grizzly 44 magnum,1911 frame i think i could conceal it in a shoulder rig but it only has 6 round mag and it weighs a lot,i do have a drop leg holster for it,for a SD hunting rig.I can draw and engage quicker with my 1911 45
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

There's a big guy I work with who has carried a S&W .44 in his vertical sholder holster from time to time. It's not his primary but, especially during the colder months, he'll go with that rig from time to time. It's not so much a "I got a .44" kinda attitude as it just suits him better. He just got a 9mm millimium for pocket carry.....big dude.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I used to have a Taurus M44c .44 2" snubbie..It was quite a load and not too hard to conceal. The muzzle blast was too much for me though...

A big guy at work I know carries a S&W 29 4" during the winter and fall..

Cool I have an Anaconda and....

I only carry it to and from the range occasionally!

Mag44Laf
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Where did I just read a story of a guy who used a large cal (10mm, I think) for self defense. The jury hung him because the prosecution convinced them the he must be blood-thirsty to carry that much gun. Crap logic, but the guy IS in jail. (this might've been from Ayoobs column in combat hanguns)
    My retired Michigan State police ccw instructor carries a Smith in 10mm, crossdraw.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar

Thumbs up Sure do!

I do carry a model 29 S&W 3" in the winter when I occaionally carry OWB for convenience. I load it up with Speer 200 gr. JHP short barrel rounds (close to the recoil of a .44 special and very managable).
    As a matter of fact I just purchased a TT Gunleather OWB with snaps for ease of removal. It's the first one off the line and marked TT #1. So far I really love the rig. My pics Do Not do it justice.
    Tim really worked with me on this one gun being a 3". Cannot praise him enough. Just a great guy, very professional and a man of his word. Thanks Tim, I'll be back shopping soon!

Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Not for EDC, but during hunting season, I carried a Raging Bull 44 with 6 1/2" barrel in a vertical shoulder holster. There was no attempt to conceal (heck, I was carrying a squirrel rifle) but during deer season we have to wear orange vests over everything and the vest did conceal my revolver. So yeh, some weekends I "CC" a 44 -- in Florida!

The .44 was just in case we ran into hogs, who sometimes seem to magically appear in the grass or rise like a smelly volcano from a muddy wallow.

Technically, I don't think we could legally use it to defend against a bear, panther, or gator, but most of them are too shy to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    Yep, that's true! That would be John Ross. He is also the auther of Unintended Consequences Unintended Consequences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia John carries a 4" S&W 500 mag in a Smart Carry daily, he also has a pocket BUG but I can't remember what it is/was. Pretty much a non issue as the 500 was what everyone wanted to talk about.

Anyway, so yes, at least one person I know does cc a 500.

Ti

Roger this. I took John's class and he actually does carry a cut down S&W 500. No kidding. He worked with S&W to create a new version of that gun (full size). Check it out: John Ross Website Store.

Not trying to hijack the thread - just sharing some big bore love ...

Plan B

I used to carry my 4 inch 629 on occasion, but it had to go away. I'll be getting another, as soon as I can afford one.

I'm currently awaiting my holster for my 5 inch S&W Model 27 so I can tote it. It's the same size as a .44.
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

Why carry a 44 when you can carry a big gun?

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Cupcake, Harold Fish, the 10mm shooter, several things against him: [...] I try to check in on this case every month or so.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

IMHO Anyone who can CC a .44 mag or larger IWB doesn't need a gun. They would be scary enough big to cause most urban people to stay away as it is. Now in the back country, the four legged kind just see a bigger meal!

Years ago I worked part time in a gun shop in Maryland. One of our customers was a undercover cop in the Annapolis area. He carried a 4" S&W 629 because he said no one he did a drug buy with would believe it was a cop gun. As I recall he loaded it with 44 Specials.

After he retired he carried a full size Colt 45 ACP as his EDC.
    "If you can't place your shots on a non-moving piece of paper, how much more difficult will it be when that piece of paper becomes a 3-time felon whose sole purpose is to avoid going back to prison no matter what happens and no matter who gets in the way?"

Taken from a posting by "Deadmeat 2"

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    Hey, aint that the one you promised me??
    Did you forget my address?
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links