Does anyone here CC a .44 mag or bigger?

This is a discussion on Does anyone here CC a .44 mag or bigger? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ???...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here CC a .44 mag or bigger?

Does anyone here CC a .44 mag or bigger?

???

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Not me !!!! could not stand the noise inside a car or building. Heck after the first shot, I would not be able to hit the broad side of a barn.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I sure don't new 642 with +P ammo is pretty hard to shoot comfortably. But I can say I've seen two guys at a range that were carrying under trench coats Olympic Arms K23P - AR-15 Pistols
    Olympic Arms, Inc. - K23P - AR-15 Pistol

I also remeber someone here mention their CCDW instructor pulled a S&W 500 out of his pants during the class.
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

Why Carry a .44 or bigger, I mean Dirty Harry was just a TV star. HaHa That and the fact that a .45 auto with the right bullet has a higher 1 shot knock down percentage that a .44 mag. Try to remember that these bigger calibers weren't designed for self defense they were designed for handgun hunting, and there is a reason for that.
    "No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

1943 - 2009
    We once had a member here from Florida who claimed he carried a S&W .500 Magnum concealed. He was always asking about holsters, speed loaders, defensive loads for the .500 Mag, etc., etc., etc.

He finally just faded away, because he probably figured out nobody was taking him seriously.

A concealed S&W X Frame? In Florida's climate? Right...

Big Ego problem, there.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Maybe someone that hikes or backpacks in bear country and they don't want the other hikers on the trail to know that they are armed. Other than that I think a person would be just too weighted down with a huge revolver for concealed carry in the city. I doubt that anyone would carry such a gun for very long when there are more suitable choices that are both smaller and lighter and just as effective against human predators.

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    Maybe someone that hikes or backpacks in bear country and they don't want the other hikers on the trail to know that they are armed. Other than that I think a person would be just too weighted down with a huge revolver for concealed carry in the city. I doubt that anyone would carry such a gun for very long when there are more suitable choices that are both smaller and lighter and just as effective against human predators.
    I was thinking there may be a few alaskan/canadian people who carry a .44 mag or larger concealed. I'd be interested to hear about it.

As far as the .45 vs .44 mag and knock-down %.... I've read that and all I have to say is that there are far, far more recorded shootings of .45s than .44 mags. How many of you would, if they had to choose, take a hit from a .45 bullet over a .44 mag, seriously?

Anyway, you never know, someone might carry a .44 mag concealed. I was just curious to hear about it if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoozyerdaddy View Post
    I sure don't new 642 with +P ammo is pretty hard to shoot comfortably. But I can say I've seen two guys at a range that were carrying under trench coats Olympic Arms K23P - AR-15 Pistols
    Olympic Arms, Inc. - K23P - AR-15 Pistol

I also remeber someone here mention their CCDW instructor pulled a S&W 500 out of his pants during the class.

Yep, that's true! That would be John Ross. He is also the auther of Unintended Consequences Unintended Consequences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia John carries a 4" S&W 500 mag in a Smart Carry daily, he also has a pocket BUG but I can't remember what it is/was. Pretty much a non issue as the 500 was what everyone wanted to talk about.

Anyway, so yes, at least one person I know does cc a 500.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

bae
    I carry a Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull now and then. I keep .45 LC loads in it, the 260 gr Speer JHPs, for social purposes. I don't live in the city though...

I'd love to get my hands on one of the new S&W 329 Night Guards, frankly.

When I lived in Alaska, I would carry a 3" 629 when going walkabout.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I know a guy who carries, and one day he opened his jacket to show me a Desert Eagle .50 AE in a rather nice leather shoulder rig.

He's a rather decent guy, just a bit of a blowhard and know it all. Likes to show off a bit as well.

Hard telling how many people he shared his "secret" with that day..........

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    We once had a member here from Florida who claimed he carried a S&W .500 Magnum concealed. He was always asking about holsters, speed loaders, defensive loads for the .500 Mag, etc., etc., etc.

He finally just faded away, because he probably figured out nobody was taking him seriously.

A concealed S&W X Frame? In Florida's climate? Right...

Big Ego problem, there.
    Ahahah, I remember reading that thread. Wasn't he looking for a IWB for one...lol, whatever. Kind of always wondered what happened to that guy. I think he put up a similar post on THR. I almost bought a .41 magnum snubby, not quite a .44mag, but still a big wheelie to CC.

Lets not forget something important here too.
    Bigger guns + Higher Velocities = OVER PENETRATION!
    Here in VA you are responsible for where your rounds hit. Even if you are in a state that holds the BG responsible, how could anyone walk around with the knowledge they shot a BG and it also killed an innocent bystander? Especially in a large overpopulated city?
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Danger Mouse,

Since I'm the only person who has admitted (so far) to carrying a .44 Mag, I'll assume your question was directed at me. Alaska is grizzly country, and the .44 Mag is even considered underpowered by some. As for overpenetration, I switched to .44 Special for in-town use, rather than carrying an extra pistol.

Cheers,
    Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Where did I just read a story of a guy who used a large cal (10mm, I think) for self defense. The jury hung him because the prosecution convinced them the he must be blood-thirsty to carry that much gun. Crap logic, but the guy IS in jail. (this might've been from Ayoobs column in combat hanguns)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links