Beretta 92F - Page 2

Beretta 92F

This is a discussion on Beretta 92F within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Miggy And yet it has been killing people for over 100 years....go figure You gotta love the 45 v 9mm discussion Sure ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92F

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    And yet it has been killing people for over 100 years....go figure

You gotta love the 45 v 9mm discussion
    Sure it's been killing folks...at five to ten rounds a person from an MP40 or whatever. Heck the POPE got hit with a 9mm and he lived! Even barring intervention from "above," if he'd been hit with a 45 multiple times, he'd be making conversation face to face with the man upstairs....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I've carried the 92F with the LaserMax laser for a while. Though it's a GREAT duty-type, Military-type weapon, I found it to be wayyyy too large for CCW. It shot like a champ, but remember, it's a service duty weapon. I traded it in, as I got a really good offer (200.00 more than I paid for it) A 92 Compact might be a better choice if you're going to insist on the Beretta. Smaller and shoots just as well as the big brother 92F. You could also opt for the 96 in 40 cal, but you could also explore the other types of guns on the market for a smaller, more defensive weapon.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    if he'd been hit with a 45 multiple times, he'd be making conversation face to face with the man upstairs....

Don't bet your life...or somebody else's...on that. I personally observed a bad guy take three (three being "multiple") center mass hits with 230-grain Hydroshock and proceed to lead a foot pursuit for another 8 - 10 minutes, then fight while being handcuffed. No pistol caliber is a "manstopper". Pistols are defensive weapons, at best. I carry a .357Sig or a .45ACP most of the time, but I'm perfectly comfortable with a good 9mm round. Two 9mm rounds in the melon-bag will stop the action a lot faster than five .45 rounds in the arms and ass.
    My humble opinion,
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Senior Moderator
    As I have posted in the past, I saw an actual police video of a thin woman shot with three .45 ACPs in the torso and didn't even go down. A number of PDs are using 9mms and are quite pleased with the results.

Purportedly, Prince George's County has more gunfights than any place in the US and they use 9mms. They commonly encounter that elusive one shot stop and DRTs.

The NYDP uses 9mm and they are pleased with the results as well.

Risque007,
    Right now I am carrying a 92G Vertec in a Fist #2 OWB, easy on-easy off leather holster. As far as I'm concerned, it's no more difficult to carry than anything else. I'm quite comfortable with it. As I pointed out in another thread, I believe, that a Beretta is one of the few, if not the only, manufacturer that supports loading a round in the chamber and releasing the slide. The extractor is designed to support this. It's like Euc said, a single shot's better than a no shot should it come to that.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo
    Don't bet your life...or somebody else's...on that. I personally observed a bad guy take three (three being "multiple") center mass hits with 230-grain Hydroshock and proceed to lead a foot pursuit for another 8 - 10 minutes, then fight while being handcuffed. No pistol caliber is a "manstopper". Pistols are defensive weapons, at best. I carry a .357Sig or a .45ACP most of the time, but I'm perfectly comfortable with a good 9mm round. Two 9mm rounds in the melon-bag will stop the action a lot faster than five .45 rounds in the arms and ass.
    My humble opinion,
    Gonzo
    Indeed. I think the 9mm vs. .45 horse is thoroughly dead, folks. Let the poor thing rest in peace....

Like a previous poster, I have carried a Taurus PT-99 as my daily 'bad-guy-be-cool-stick' :) for years and never felt it was too big; and I am a "strapping" 5'7" and 140 lbs. I am fortunate to live(when not in Japan...) in Indiana, the original CCW state, so I am not overly concerned with printing/accidental exposure. (We were packing when packing wasn't cool!! >;-P) I carried it in a Galco right-handed belt slide in Summer, and a Miami Classic AKA "Jackass" shoulder holster when bundled up for winter.

Weapons are like one's choice in music; one man/woman's treasure is another's trash. I would have bought the Berretta, but I went with the cheaper, more-affordable-as-a-Marine Lance Corporal Taurus. My experience in shooting the two is that you can see where the extra cash went into the Beretta to make it a much smoother operating/well refined weapon. If and when I ever get back to the states and out of the mild police state of Japan, I'll prpbably pick up a Beretta 92 if for no other reason than to add it to my meager collection of military style firearms.

But anyway....Go with what works for you!
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Lead Moderator
    92's a nice gun, but you may find it too big and heavy for convient carry. It does shoot nice and is reliable though.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BushidoMarine
    Indeed. I think the 9mm vs. .45 horse is thoroughly dead, folks. Let the poor thing rest in peace....!
    Yep...it is dead, alright. But...was it killed by a 9mm or a .45?
    heh, heh, heh...
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Oh no He didn't
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

VIP Member
    The more I shoot my Berettas, the more I hope that a .45 ACP chambered Beretta Px4 is submitted and wins the search for the next U.S. military service weapon.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

No, I actually haven't purchased anything yet as I'm too young to legally carry concealed in Missouri. That's why I'm peppering all you guys with questions ;-)

I also have the Beretta 92FS (O.D., Crimson Trace laser grips, 15 round mags) and yes, it is heavy ....but ...oh so very accurate !!!! With it's low recoil and target sticking ability , I can easily pull off enough shots to do what it was intended for . And ...if 15 rounds won't do it, and with it's weight, you can always throw it and do some damage too !!
    diplomacy ... the art of saying "nice doggie"..while looking for a big rock !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier
    I just got back from LFI-I, where I asked Mas Ayoob about the 9 mm thing.

His take was that 9 mm (with the right ammo) is just fine most of the time. He has .45's for his officers because they are in New Hampshire: coats can clog the hollow point of hollow point ammunition, and (basically) turn it into ball ammo. If so, he at least wants it to be a BIG ball.
    Hoosier's right. Mas... as we fondly call him in these parts, has the take on almost anything in the LFI School. We do carry heavy garments in NH. The 9MM, coupled with the right type of performance ammo, is great. I'd prefer the 40 or 45 myself, just in case. Either way, 2 to the CM and 1 to the hat is more than enough to take the bad guy down (1 in the hat puts all the lights out ) Just my personal opinion though

I carry A 92fs and a 96 also an 8045 mini cougar on occasion . I have an inside the pant holster which works well for all of them and a fanny pack They shoot well . merlin45k out

VIP Member
    Another LFI grad here (I and II in August 1996). Mas' eldest, Cat, effectively fired her Horan-tuned Beretta 92FC during the pacesetter course of fire which prompted me to get one too...in my case an Italian-made 92FC for about $300 with 13 rounds four mags, used, but LN. It is easier to carry that gun a bit than a full-sized 92/96-series. The 92FC Type M (eight shot) is easier yet.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Actually that particular Pope is doing just that at the moment.

I felt perfectly comfortable carrying an M9 in the combat zone. I picked up an M4 if heading outside the compound, but for self defense inside or while guarding Iraqi contractors an M9 was adequate. I'd rather have a .357 revolver in the sandbox than any autopistol, but whatcha gonna do?

For private protection a92 series would be ok, but you can get better guns IMO for that purpose that weigh less and have the same round count, more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Heck the POPE got hit with a 9mm and he lived! Even barring intervention from "above," if he'd been hit with a 45 multiple times, he'd be making conversation face to face with the man upstairs....
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links