Need help choosing a .22

Need help choosing a .22

This is a discussion on Need help choosing a .22 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess what I'm looking for is a plinker. I've been thinking about three guns in particular: Browning Buckmark, Ruger mark III or Taurus wheel ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help choosing a .22

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar

Need help choosing a .22

I guess what I'm looking for is a plinker. I've been thinking about three guns in particular: Browning Buckmark, Ruger mark III or Taurus wheel gun model 94.

Any opinions on any of these? I know many of you are going to say: "go rent them and see what you like", but what I'm really looking for is your first hand experiences with any of these three, particularly in the realm of ease of maintenance and reliability. I've read that the Ruger, and Buckmark are a pain to take down. Thanks.

There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I have to agree with Kerbouchard. After reading his torture test, and the success i have had with mine, the Neos is darn good gun. Pretty easy to take down and clean too.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Lead Moderator
    I have owned my Buckmark since 90. No problems and it works well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Out of the ones you listed, I'd personally take the Ruger.

My favorite plinker is a Hi-Standard. They're a bit pricey now (mine's a vintage one) but they're excellent .22 handguns.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I will second the Neos recommendation. Great trigger, extremely accurate, the carbine option is nice, and it's just a sexy little gun. The one detriment is that mine doesn't like cheap ammo, Aguila specifically. Not that I really expected it to, but it would have been nice if it ate anything I put through it.

I have shot all that you have mentioned. I would never own the Taurus, the trigger was awful! That said, my favorite 22 plinker is my 6" s&w 617

VIP Member
    I have a Ruger Mark II Bull Barrel. I enjoy shooting it and it is accurate, but as you said Ruger 22 Semi's can ber a pain to breakdown and put together. I also found with mine when they get dirty they let you know it FTF/FTE.

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPhoenix View Post
    I will second the Neos recommendation. Great trigger, extremely accurate, the carbine option is nice, and it's just a sexy little gun. The one detriment is that mine doesn't like cheap ammo, Aguila specifically. Not that I really expected it to, but it would have been nice if it ate anything I put through it.
    I do not believe you can get the carbine kit for them. The BATFE said they were illegal, so Beretta scrapped them. That was one of the reasons I had purchased mine.

Freedomofchoice, if you are set on one of those three, I would go with the Browning.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

+1 on the Ruger MKII being DIFFICULT for take down and putting back together.
    Had one and it was a great shooter, but I later got rid of it as I was tired of struggling with takedown and reassembly.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Personally I like my Hammerli Trailslide....if you can find one, great shooter!
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

+2 on the Ruger Mark II. I also have one with the bull barrel in SS with a Leupold scope. The Mrs. loves to shoot it! I have not had a problem with takedown, only with the last step swinging the main spring housing latch up into position. Once you learn it, it is easy. I also have a Walther P22. This is a much lighter and easier pistol to take down and reassemble. I have put around 1000 rounds thru it without a burp or hiccup.

Safe and sane shooting everyone,

johnstuf

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I picked up a S&W 22A last month. So far it seems to be a decent shooter and easy to service. $229. at BASS PRO.

Be wary of American Eagle ammo, by Federal, FTF, FTE.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Although it is not on your list, I go along with the other guys voting for the Beretta Neos. It's a good one!
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

I bought my Ruger .22 auto in 1963. It has performed well ever since! I have no idea how many "bricks" of .22's I've used.

JERRY

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links