A reliable pocket semi out there that won't jam?

This is a discussion on A reliable pocket semi out there that won't jam? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TerryD The Baby Glock's have a great reputation. My wife love's her G26. Reliable, easy to shoot, and can be pocket carried. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A reliable pocket semi out there that won't jam?

Quote Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
    The Baby Glock's have a great reputation. My wife love's her G26. Reliable, easy to shoot, and can be pocket carried.
    I checked all my clothes. The only thing with pockets big enough to carry a Baby Block is my old trenchcoat!

The G-26 is a great small gun, but I can't imagine real pocket carry.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post

I don't know of anyone offering +P 380 ammo. Santa Barbara offered a stought .380 20 years ago (I've got a few boxes of that left), but it's surplus and rare and not rated +P.

I've shot over 400 rnds of 32NAA through a KT conversion, the closest thing to +P with no excessive wear or problems.
    Buffalo Bore is listing a few .380 +P loads - looks like pretty stout stuff.

I just bought a box of CorBon .380+P 90gr JHP last month at a gunshop. Maybe they are old stock.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

As already stated...if it's mechanical, it can jam! That being said, a revolver will probably be less likely to cause you a problem because of the nature of its moving parts...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    I've shot over 400 rnds of 32NAA through a KT conversion, the closest thing to +P with no excessive wear or problems.
    P3AT with a p32 barrel? Or how exactly did you do that?
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Pocket carry

Hi, I switch between three postols for pocket carry and what I'm wearing at the time dictates which pistol I carry. They're all 380's, reliable as hell and deadly up to 20 feet. They carry great in Anderson Leather pocket holsters and I love them equally. Another + is they're
    slso fun to shoot.
    1) Colt Pony Pocketlite, 2) Colt MKIV Gov series 80 and Sig P232.
    Good luck,
    JimK
    45 ACP: SP 1911 TRP, Sig P220compact, HK 45c
    40 cal: S&W M&P 40c
    9mm: Sig 239, Sp EMP, HKP7M8, HKP7 PSP
    380 ACP: Sig 232, Bersa T, Colt Gov series 80, Colt Pony Pocketlite, Ruger LCP
    22 LR: Ruger SS MKIII Hunter, Colt Fronteer Scout 22lr/mag, Walther PPK 22lr, PP22lr, P22, S&W 317, S&W 34-1

The Bersa .380 Concealed Carry pistol.

But don't take my word, search this site for all of the positive comments.

You also can't go wrong with a snubbie S & W.

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    I'll be deciding between the Ruger LCP and the Kahr P.380 (which is supposed to hit the market around June) for my first pocket carry pistol.
    I am also in the market for a small pocket gun. I have heard nothing but good things about the LCP, however since it "new" maybe more time will truly tell. Havent heard much about the Kahr yet, but I am sure it will be just like the LCP.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Quote Originally Posted by past60 View Post
    Buffalo Bore is listing a few .380 +P loads - looks like pretty stout stuff.
    I stand corrected, Sir. I forgot about BB, Double Tap may have some as well.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I just bought a box of CorBon .380+P 90gr JHP last month at a gunshop. Maybe they are old stock.
    PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    P3AT with a p32 barrel? Or how exactly did you do that?
    No P-32 barrel, Sam.
    When the P-3AT was first starting into production, the 'head gunsmith' for KT came up with the idea of chambering some 380 barrel blanks for the 32NAA cartridge. They ended up making 30 full upper conversions (to the best of my knowledge) and offered a dozen to senior members of KTOG; the rest was given or sold to KT employees. They have been found on gunbroker from time to time. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by ace5000 View Post
    I heard Seacamps are picky about ammo. Is that something I should be prepared for? I usually shoot WWB at the range to save some cash...

Well here is the thing. They are designed for JHP so that the magazine are made to keep the JHP in line. When you get down to this size of a cartridge tolerances become more critical. They want a JHP that is very close to the specification. That being the SAMI spec. And several manufacturers have, at times, been very lax about keeping their ammo to specification and then that can cause a problem. These particular batches or runs will be too long overall and should not be if they were made correctly. However several manufacturers have been good about it. So those work flawlessly. At one time federal put out a batch of too long OAL ones that we had some trouble with. But they were contacted and they addressed it and their ammo now seems to come out consistently the right length now a days. I have real good results with Federal now and Hornady. Both of them I have measured OAL on and they are consistent and in spec and shoot flawlessly for me.

Now keep in mind that Larry designed this gun to specifically shoot JHP and so the followers and magazines are specifically tuned for JHP and not for FMJ. Most other mouse guns are set up for FMJ. And in some cases have trouble with JHP. So... the down side is that no, you should not put FMJ in them. I have heard of people taking the follower and modifying the Mag for FMJ and having some success but also heard of some not having good success. The issue is that if you modify that mag it then probably WILL have trouble with JHP then. So we all shoot a good known within spec JHP and have no trouble out of it.

You can find the .32 version for lower money used. For instance I was able to find mine which is very mint, with two mags and original box and papers for $319. I then had to pay shipping and transfer fee but I was all done for $350. Mine has never missed a beat. Not one FTF or FTE.

Of course that being said... I don't prefer .32 as a primary. It is strictly my go to gun for when I cannot carry anything else. Pocket in shorts and T shirt sort of thing. I do fire it every couple of months and clean it. This discharges the old two magazines and reload with new. I try and buy a couple boxes from same lot. Then check the OAL against the old batch and if its fine I don't test it until I start rotating it in. So far, when I stick to Hornady and Federal JHP I have always found them to be consistent, within a few thou of each other. Thats the key.

The Ruger LCP is an excellent alternative to the Kel-Tec P3AT IMO. I wasn't impressed with the fit and finish on the P3AT and I've heard several reports of them not feeding well. The LCP has functioned flawlessly for me so far. I'd like to get a few more rounds through it before I'd say I'd bet my life on it but.....

I'm going with A LCP as soon as all of the hype dies down, and bugs get worked out!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Pocket autos can be a fickle bunch, they are not for new shooters, The smaller and lighter you get, the more problems a new shooter will have.

Get a J frame if you fear "jamming" and then pick out a pocket auto and really learn the gun. You have to invest a lot more of everything when you want to shoot/carry the micro auto's. I suggest Kahr, after the steps above are complete.
    +1.....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links