A reliable pocket semi out there that won't jam? - Page 4

A reliable pocket semi out there that won't jam?

This is a discussion on A reliable pocket semi out there that won't jam? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all! I am new to your site and enjoying it so far! I just had to post on this thread because I carry a ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A reliable pocket semi out there that won't jam?

Hi all! I am new to your site and enjoying it so far!

I just had to post on this thread because I carry a Kahr PM9 almost every day in a desantis nemesis pocket holster. I have not had a jam yet form this little gun and I trust it to go bang every time. I can shoot it pretty accurately for such a small gun also. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a small pocket auto.

I carry a Kahr CW9 in my front pocket in a holster, with no problems at all. It's a 9x19 7+1 rounder.
    The United States Constitution (c)1791. All Rights Reserved.

I have a J frame for the wife, a couple Makarovs too, but couldn't imagine carrying either as a true "pocket" pistol with the weight of them. I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT every day in a Don Hume wallet holster. I've been very pleased with it thus far.

If you buy a Kel-Tec, I strongly recommend doing the "Fluff and Buff" treatment beforehand (Google it). I did with mine, and have had VERY few issues with it. You MUST clean it weekly, as it will catch pocket lint and dirt like crazy. If you do that, it'll treat you well, and you'll get so you feel naked without it in your hip pocket.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    My Walther PPS hasn't jammed, and I pocket carry it.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

If you want a reliable pocket pistol, a light 38 revolver like the S&W 642 is your best bet IMHO. I bought a 380 semi-auto a few months ago and have not yet had a 50 round range session without at least two jams. I gave up on it as a carry piece and bought a 642. The geometry, physics, and manufacturing issues associated with the action of a semi-auto pistol work against reliability in the smaller models. If reliability is very important to you and you want a small light gun - get an alloy frame snub 38 revolver.

I've owned a lot of pocket sized autos, North American Arms in .32 and .380, Kel-Tec in .32 and .380. Although all were reliable the NAA were to heavy and the .32's to light of a caliber. I didn't like the fit and finish on the Kel-Tec's, I just didn't feel that pride of ownership feeling. I just got my Ruger LCP .380. Haven't shot it yet but it looks very well made and the trigger is light and smooth.

A few months ago I purchased a PM9 and couldn't be happier. It has been flawless and fed everything I put through it. Some points that weighed in my decision:

- I had a PPK/S and wanted 9mm vs. .380, given the significant stopping power difference. The PM9 is smaller (some) and lighter (almost half a pound). The PM9 recoil is also much less than with the blow-back design.

- I can't see something larger than the PM9 (XDSC, M&P compact, G26, Sig229) being a "pocket" pistol, really. Even the PM9 pushes the upper limit when trying to use it in jeans.

- I like the extra 2 shots vs. a J-frame. I also understand that the recoil of the PM9 is considerably less, and the PM9 is far more accurate, given the sights, sight radius and recoil factor. The PM9 also prints less in the pocket.

- Having said all of that, I will still pick up a P3AT or LCP for those couple of months in the summer when I wear flimsy shorts with a drawstring. Those two guns are literally half the size and weight of the PM9. A .380 isn't anywhere near a 9mm +P in performance, but it's better than nothing. I wouldn't even consider a .32, especially during the winter months when there are layers of clothing to penetrate.

Bottom line, I feel the PM9 is the best of all worlds for a "pocket" pistol, and the VDxxxx and new IAxxxx serial number ones have proven to be reliable and go "bang" every time.

I've put 400 rounds through my PM9 with flawless performance. Shoots accurately. Follow Kahr's directions and you shouldn't have a problem. Strong arms and hands help as well with any shooting.

I carry an AMT DAO back-up (.45)......not light weight, so if it jams I can beat the **** out of the perp with it. (this one thankfully fires everytime)

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    It's glock 26 for me but I don't see the 26 as a pocket pistol.It's a bit big and wide for the pants pocket.I'd go with the smaller ones that were mentioned.

I feel that most pocket semi autos jam because they gather lint and stuff from being in a pocket. Even a gun carried in a pocket holster will gather lint and such,thats why I like a snubnose revolver for this type of thing,i feel a revolver is much more forgiving under these types on conditions. Don't get me wrong small auto these days have become reliable but this hinges on maintaining said weapon. I feel any carry gun that may be called upon to save ones life should be broken down and cleaned lubed weekly IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    I feel that most pocket semi autos jam because they gather lint and stuff from being in a pocket. Even a gun carried in a pocket holster will gather lint and such,thats why I like a snubnose revolver for this type of thing,i feel a revolver is much more forgiving under these types on conditions. Don't get me wrong small auto these days have become reliable but this hinges on maintaining said weapon. I feel any carry gun that may be called upon to save ones life should be broken down and cleaned lubed weekly IMO.
    You're exactly right. I take down and clean mt P3AT weekly. Surprising what gets in there....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links