A reliable pocket semi out there that won't jam?

This is a discussion on A reliable pocket semi out there that won't jam? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I'm about to take the safety class here in Ohio to get my CCW. Is there a reliable pocket pistol out there? I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hello all,

I'm about to take the safety class here in Ohio to get my CCW. Is there a reliable pocket pistol out there? I just got back from the Kel-tek forum, and it was not so encouraging... I'm used to a 92FS that goes bang EVERY TIME.

I had a Taurus 605 revolver for a while but could not shoot it well at all and sold it - trigger and flash was a problem even with 38s. So I think I would be more proficient with a semi. The XD subs are fine guns but seem too thick.

Any suggestions in a 9 or 380?

JD
    Administrator
    All guns can jam, there is no jam-proof gun.

Personally, the only autos I've pocket carried have been Colt Mustangs, and they have been ultra-reliable. But those are out of production.

I hear lots of good things about the Seecamps.

I heard Seacamps are picky about ammo. Is that something I should be prepared for? I usually shoot WWB at the range to save some cash...

VIP Member
    Like JD I carry a Colt Mustang. It is not perfect, but after replacing a magazine I have not had a failure in about 400 rounds. Finding them is not easy, affording them is. Over the past year I have watched prices for ones in excellent shape go from the mid-six hundred dollar range to the upper-seven hundred dollar range.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Kel-Tec P32, P3AT. They need to be properly lubed and cleaned once every week or two (like every pocket auto, lint builds up in a hurry in a pocket). Both my AT's shoot anything you feed 'um, over 1500 rounds between them. Also they weigh 8.3 oz, and are locked breech.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I have a llama 380,paid 275.00 used and it eats everything from cast lead reloads to JHP,looks similar to a colt mustang.but kinda big fer a pocket gun.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    I'll be deciding between the Ruger LCP and the Kahr P.380 (which is supposed to hit the market around June) for my first pocket carry pistol.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    I'll be deciding between the Ruger LCP and the Kahr P.380 (which is supposed to hit the market around June) for my first pocket carry pistol.
    I'd give both of those some time to work out the bugs over the first few production runs and wait to hear how they are before I would buy.

Not saying either is a bad gun or company. I'm going to have to sit on my hands to not buy the first p380 I see. But at the same time my P3at has had no problems other then not liking an off brand hollow point that I tried where my PM9 has had the same amount of round through it and has had one trip back to Kahr.

Seecamp's finicky ammo issue is gone. They were made to use Winchester Silvertips only. Now they've gotten away from that. I'd go with the .380 instead of the original .32. They are finely built guns.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Seecamps are excellent but pricey, if cost is a concern then I would seek out a Ruger LCP.

Administrator
    Pocket autos can be a fickle bunch, they are not for new shooters, The smaller and lighter you get, the more problems a new shooter will have.

Get a J frame if you fear "jamming" and then pick out a pocket auto and really learn the gun. You have to invest a lot more of everything when you want to shoot/carry the micro auto's. I suggest Kahr, after the steps above are complete.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Pocket autos can be a fickle bunch, they are not for new shooters, The smaller and lighter you get, the more problems a new shooter will have.

Get a J frame if you fear "jamming" and then pick out a pocket auto and really learn the gun. You have to invest a lot more of everything when you want to shoot/carry the micro auto's. I suggest Kahr, after the steps above are complete.
    Sound advice, I keep "forgetting" that Kahr is going to be releasing the P380 in June, that should be a fine pocket gun, and is probably going to be my choice to retire the Mustangs.

I think there are a lot of fine reliable pocket pistols out there. IMO - The operator becomes a much bigger variable in the reliability the smaller the pistol gets. Pocket pistols need to be clean and well lubricated to remain reliable. Limp wristing can cause even the best pocket pistol to jam.

I agree with a previous post that a wheel gun is a better choice for a first gun.

Partial answer

The two guns below have never jammed, and both are small enough to fit in a pocket. However one is a revolver and the other is a little heavy for the pocket. But I trust them not to jam, based on many rounds fired without a problem.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

If Pocket Carry is your choice then a J-Frame Revolver is my choice for you.

Learn to shoot the roundgun, lots of practice.

Biker

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links