.22LR as CCW

This is a discussion on .22LR as CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use a .22 for target practice but I would not bet my life on that itty bitty round....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .22LR as CCW

I use a .22 for target practice but I would not bet my life on that itty bitty round.

2. Remove Ads

Back in the 80s and 90s I use to carry a North American little pocket 22 LR all the time, when warring shorts, or as a backup to my G19, at work;. But I retired it a few years ago.

The reason I retired it, is today we face a different kind of threat than we did twenty years ago. Today, allot of armed robberies are drug related, and BGs hopped up on crack, coke, PCP, etc. do not feel getting shot like a sober person does. Or at least in reading police reports of shootings, BGs who are hopped-up dont go down when shot, unless you cause a major wound channel.

While I still dont believe you need a 44 magnum to kill a human, with advancements in polymer guns there is no reason to not carry a 380 pocket gun, when IWB or OWB is not an option.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    lots of assassins would disagree
    I am not an assassin, I dont fire from stealth, nor do i have the opportunity to place a shot surgically. What i do have to deal with is putting multiple hits into or as close to vital zones as i can starting after the whole situation went rodeo . I dont care how well the .22 works for an assassin , heck i know it works fine for them as i have put down cattle , horses and truth be known deer and antelope with single shots from a .22 pistol . What i care about is that it will not reliably dissuade joe q sixpack when he is upset much less Mr Weightpile on parole . The biggest baddest pistol you can carry will at best be a marginal tool to use in a gunfight and with that being said ill again state that nowadays the .380 is the floor for me , 9mm is normal and at times i bump to .45 , not because i think the .45 will do much if any better than 9mm but because i happen to know that when one is pointed at you ( by someone with ill intent ) it looks like you can Tapdance arm in arm with the entire cast of the rockettes down the bore .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

If I were to carry a .22 for SD, it would have to be a wheelie. Rimfires in an auto are just too unreliable. My GF packed a .22mag wheelie for a long time, and I've carried it a couple times (as a BUG ). It would not be my prefered caliber of choice, but for anyone who shoots them well they can make a decent SD option.

A .22lr as a ccw? Well, I wouldn't unless I couldn't carry anything else. But, it sure is better than nothing.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Well, if you ever have to use that .22 and the BG finds out about it he's going to be really angry.
    My opinion is that concealed-carry calibers should start at .4.

Quote Originally Posted by OzarksMagic View Post
    i only carry .22 around my own hood. If I think it may be needed, i switch to .38.
    I think you know the answer.

Better than a sharp stick, and if you can scare away or deter a BG, fine, but it is not much of a man stopper. There are some equally small, yet more powerful options available. A Keltec, Guardian or Seecamp might be a better choice to increase your firepower, but maintain a small package. But any gun is better than NO gun to me, when you need one. A .22 will certainly hurt you.

If that is all that you happen to have then I see nothing wrong with it!!! Check into what most hit men use.........a 22LR!!!! The Navy SEALS used a 22LR pistol called the Amphibian!! What do you think that was used for!!! Shot placement is all that matters in a defensive situation.

Actually, .22 wounds are quiter often fatal, but that does you little good if the BG first kills you or your family.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yeah, you are a little bit. Sure a .22 might do the trick...but why take that gamble? There are plenty of better choices that require a gun no bigger or heavier than your tomcat.
    Just want to point something out. The .22 is the Bobcat. The Tomcat is a .32...

I bought my wife a .22 Beretta Bobcat and had problems with reliability. I had to use hot rounds or the casings would stovepipe. I will not have her carry something that is unreliable. I bought her a .32 Beretta Tomcat. The .32 is centerfire and much more reliable. I have never had an issue with it. A gun that is unreliable is, in my opinion, more dangerous than not having one. I myself carry a Glock 27. Works every time!!

I'm currently packing a .22 auto. Why? because my 12 guage doesn't fit in my pocket!! After dealing with some debt issues(lesson learned) it's all I got. If I were you and I had a .38 as well the .22 would be relegated to plinking duty where it belongs but as stated in previous posts, it beats spitballs by a small margin.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

I often carry my Walther P-22 as a CCW. 10 accurate shots available, and would probably only need 2 or 3.

The ,22 is quick, has no recoil, and I shoot it very well. Its enough for me...

JERRY

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I know a woman who shot an intruder nine times with a .22 revolver, and he lived through it. While I wouldn't volunteer to be shot by a .22, I definitely wouldn't carry one for self defense unless I had no other choice (at least it could serve as a visual deterrent).

I am not saying that .22's aren't deadly; there are a lot of people who have been killed by them. I've even heard arguments that they have a higher rate of death than injuries inflicted by a 9mm. I can honestly believe that, since they have a tendency to bounce around, which would probably cause a lot of internal bleeding, and I imagine it could be very difficult for a surgeon to find a .22 slug to remove it.

The thing is, you don't employ a pistol in self defense to kill someone; you use it to stop the threat they impose. This purpose is much better served by a larger, heavier caliber than the .22lr.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links