.22LR as CCW

This is a discussion on .22LR as CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Godskid Just want to point something out. The .22 is the Bobcat. The Tomcat is a .32... Good call!...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .22LR as CCW

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Godskid View Post
    Just want to point something out. The .22 is the Bobcat. The Tomcat is a .32...
    Good call!
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    If memory serves me, the Beretta is the flip-up barrel type??? If it is, whatcha go'a do when it misfires---no ejector. I qualified for ccw with a 22lr. thought it was what I wanted to carry. Many better options out there. If you have to present your weapon it's already a bad day, so why not stack the deck as much as you can.
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Administrator
    Well, if you are going carry a .22LR for self-defense then switch to an Eley competition Match Grade ammo so that you'll at least know that your firearm will go Bang every time you pull the trigger.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Ah...I read some comments about the effectiveness of .22LR in the hands of SEALS and hitmen.

We're talking self-defense here, not trained commando operations or Mafia planned ambushes...

Defending one's self and/or loved ones means stopping the threat, not wounding the BG such that he kills and then bleeds out from a .22LR wound.

Yes, it's all about shot placement, but why do you think LEOs and military folks aren't toting some dinky rimfire pistol--because hit ratios plummet when you're under attack!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Well if I had to carry a 22 it would be loaded with either AquillaSSS sniper ammo with a 60 grain bullet or if you can find it thier hyper velocity stuff which if memory serves me is like 1750 fps.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

All the stories of "MR X" got shot with a .22 and lived are all but irrelevant. I've run on numerous guy that have been shot with all sorts of calibers and not one caliber is always gonna incapacitate. I thought we knew that? So many other factor: .22 short? round nose? hollow point? hypervelocity? Was the barrel 2"? 5"? It all makes a huge difference as well as shot placement, of course.

I recall several stories of a single shot .22 stops.

-FBI shootout (I think in FL?), BG sniped good guy.
    -.22 passes through both femoral arteries, guy bleeds out in moments.
    -entry through side of thorax, don't recall what specific damage was done.

To take a single incident or 2, one might conclude that the .22 must the be ultimate manstopper. not scientific.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Better then nothing,maybe. You may just provoke them to use deadly force! There is just no stopping power.
    I'm throwing more lead then that, why? (because I can)
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post

Better then nothing,maybe. You may just provoke them to use deadly force!
    Uh, you probably shouldn't be shooting someone if they haven't already threatened you with deadly force....

I once heard the .22LR called the "kill ya later" round. It'll kill you, eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by AUTOMAG View Post
    Check into what most hit men use.........a 22LR!!!! The Navy SEALS used a 22LR pistol called the Amphibian!! What do you think that was used for!!! Shot placement is all that matters in a defensive situation.
    Um, no. "Hitmen" (and women) are using hi-caps in 9mm and .40, and generally mag-dumps. The Navy and SOCOM aren't doing anything regular with .22. Modern suppressors are efficient enough to deal with 9mm/.45 gas; the primary reason the .22 was such a "hot" suppressed weapon was low overall sound signature, Tour of Duty and Ghost Recon options aside...

There is good info available on the Banditos, Crips, Bloods and Latin Kings, among others. When discussing hits, these are the modern players, not a bunch of transplanted hi-Talians.

To the OP: if you are planning to stop an assault, a .22 won't do it. If you can pin someone down, 10-15 rounds of .22 LR will certainly do it, but you may have difficulty explaining that particular "defensive" scenario. Defensive tools require evaluation of statistics- what is most effective, most of the time? Are you just wanting a "get off me" tool, or a fight stopper? Know the limitations of yourself and your gear. Like a couple of other posters, I've seen more than 1 or 2 people shot...

I've killed a 3lb fox squirrel with a .22 LR rifle. I emptied the 10 round magazine, hitting the little animal 7 times, 5 of which were in vitals, at less than 10 yards with hollow points (it was running, thought I had missed) and when I ran out of ammo it still went another 15 yards before stopping. I will never attempt to shoot an aggressor with a .22--i'd be too afraid of what he'd do to me after being so pissed off :/

Is a centerfire cartridge better maybe the thing is you can't run the scenario twice so you will never know. All things being = I will take a .22 I can shoot over a .45 I can't, remember the first rule have a gun. If you are fine with so am I, you have to work with what you got at the time.

A range instructor once told a class that I attended that most "professional" asassins use a .22. But, then again, he also claims to have seen Bigfoot duking it out with Elvis in his backyard one moon-lit night...

Seriously, if your life might depend on your choice of gun and ammo, why go with the .22?
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    All the stories of "MR X" got shot with a .22 and lived are all but irrelevant. I've run on numerous guy that have been shot with all sorts of calibers and not one caliber is always gonna incapacitate. I thought we knew that? So many other factor: .22 short? round nose? hollow point? hypervelocity? Was the barrel 2"? 5"? It all makes a huge difference as well as shot placement, of course.
    I never implied that there was "one caliber that was always gonna incapacitate". That train of thought is very foolish even with a rifle or shotgun involved.

No round makes up for shot placement and penetration, and especially for the ability to perform under stress. That having been said, physics are still physics; the .22lr lacks the transfer of energy to "shock" someone into stopping if an incapacitating hit isn't achieved (which happens a whole lot more than most of us would like to believe). One might even question whether or not .22lr has the penetration to pass through clothing, bone and tissue in a fairly consistent manner, regardless of bullet type and barrel length. To that end, what kind of shot placement must be achieved with a .22 to be consistently effective? Do you have to not only aim for the heart or spinal column, but also between the rib cage to get to them?

Recounting actual events are very relevant in my opinion, especially when they are used as an example to illustrate a point (which in this case was that the OP would be much better served with a larger caliber with more mass).
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

I think that with the proliferation of really small good .380 autos, like the Keltec P3AT, Ruger LCP, Kahr P380, Seecamp LWS 380 and North American Arms Guardian, calibers like the .22lr and .25acp are obsolete in a pocket semi auto. If you find the .380 a bit too much then a good .32 auto like the Beretta Tom Cat or Seecamp LWS 32 or Keltec P32 should fill the bill for a self defense pocket auto. Back in the day people carried the .22s and .25s because nothing else that small was available then for them to carry. With the wide range of pocket autos in .380 or .32 it no longer makes any sense to carry a .22 or .25 that is the same size.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links