.22LR as CCW

This is a discussion on .22LR as CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know many will disagree, I may be wrong too. I own a .38 snub and a .22LR Beretta. I often carry the seven shot ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: .22LR as CCW

.22LR as CCW

I know many will disagree, I may be wrong too. I own a .38 snub and a .22LR Beretta. I often carry the seven shot +1 .22 with one spare mag. It is so small and light, it really disappears. I don't feel underarmed with the .22. With 15 .22 stingers, I can't imagine not taking care of business with up to three BG's. Am I delusional? i only carry .22 around my own hood. If I think it may be needed, i switch to .38. I am comfortable with my .22 and can shoot the eyesocket at 5 yards, not moving, of course. So, a,m I kidding myself? Or is the .22LR an okay "light duty" weapon?
    Kel Tec P-32 .32
    Grendel P-10 .380

2. Remove Ads

I've been shot with a .22 and while it didn't feel good, I was still able to jog over half a mile to my house and get a ride to the hospital. I'll tell the story of how that happened some other time, but after that, I would not feel comfortable carrying a .22 for self defense.

But, if it's the only thing you have, the only think you will consistently carry, or it's the only thing you can shoot accurately with, then, well, it's better than nothing.

They do say that the majority of the times a gun is used for defense it is not fired and that the mere presence of a gun is enough to deter most BG's...

I don't condone a .22 for carry, but like I said, it's better than nothing...

Just remember that shot placement becomes much more important.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

You will be called delusional here by someone, I'm sure. Not me, although I think the up to 3 bg part might be a stretch. The effectiveness of the .22 comes in numbers. I've noticed that I can put 10 .22 rounds on target in a fraction of the time that I could with my 9mm. It's still not my caliber of choice, but I do have some new respect for the round. The possible legal problem is that the prosecuter and the scumbags civil attorney will most certainly point out that you shot the guy 10 times, as opposed to once or twice with a "real" caliber. The sheeple will probably buy it.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

It's better than throwing spitballs, but you'd better be a darned good shot. Also, if the BG is wearing heavy clothes, you may be up creek without paddle unless you manage to hit the eye socket!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Senior Moderator
    I would not laugh at a .22lr but I would choose any centerfire pistol cartidge over a rimfire from a realibility standpoint.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Rather than carrying a .22LR for self-defense, I think you'd be better off not carrying it to reduce the weight you're toting so you can run faster....

Seriously, the goal in self-defense is to stop the threat before you're dispatched, and with that in mind, I'd highly encourage you to consider something that will do so much quicker than will a .22LR. My opinion is .38 Special as a minimum.

Rimfire is the "kiddy menu" of self-defense--carry that snub or get a sub-compact semi with heftier ballistics.

Good luck.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

The problem with any rimfire is its reliability. By its very nature a rimfire cartridge has a greater chance of a misfire than a centerfire. Whether or not a .22LR will do the job.... well, there are much better alternatives, but I wouldn't even want the barrel of a .22 pistol pointed at me, much less be shot by one.

Well, a .22 in the pocket is better than a .45 at home any day......

.....but you can find more powerful, centerfire alternatives in the same size/weight package as your Beretta if you're so inclined.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarksMagic View Post
    So, a,m I kidding myself?
    Yeah, you are a little bit. Sure a .22 might do the trick...but why take that gamble? There are plenty of better choices that require a gun no bigger or heavier than your tomcat.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Sure a .22 might do the trick...but why take that gamble? There are plenty of better choices that require a gun no bigger or heavier than your tomcat.
    Exactly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I would not laugh at a .22lr but I would choose any centerfire pistol cartidge over a rimfire from a realibility standpoint.
    Agreed.

As with any other round/caliber shot placement is key.
    One well aimed shot of .22LR into the eye socket, nasal cavity, or back of the mouth beats two 9mm, .40, or .45s to the arm and leg toward stopping a hyena.
    Also .22LR is available in high velocity JHP too as well as if you spend the coin high quality match grade that has a consistency and reliability to fire rating matching that of centerfire ammo.

If the best one has or can afford or manage is a .22 then as long as their pistol is kept in good repair, excellent condition of cleanliness toward reliability, and they run _high quality_ and preferably high velocity match grade ammo and TRAIN with it then under most conditions 25' and closer one should feel secure...as long as they aim _and_ hit the aforementioned unarmored spots of the eye sockets, nasal cavity, and back of the mouth. Anywhere else and with a .22 it's a crap shoot at best.

BTW .22 works fine with good shot placement on four legged animals as well such as dogs in specific which in the US is very much more of a real world danger and area of concern than are humans.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have a buddy who was shot with a .25 cal handgun, and he was fully functional for about 1/2 hr. He Called 911, and waited for EMS workers to arrive; was transported from a remote area, by helicopter, to a hospital. By the time he got to the hospital, all his vital signs were failing and he was unconsious. He's now ok, but my point is those little guns do not stop a person. Their potency is insidious and will not really end a fight effectively.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Your choice to carry it or not . For myself ill take a large spyderco folder over the .22 as in my experience ( not speculation but actual cases ) the knife will put them down faster and harder . IMHO a .22 is a fair killer , but totally lacks in any kind of realistic stopping power . The other side of the coin is no one wants shot with anything and likely a bb pistol would suffice . For myself i wont nowadays carry anything smaller than .380 in a firearm .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Look, I'm a huge fan of .22LR for lots of applications. We've all heard that a .22 to the skull is one of the deadliest things on the planet due to the absence of an exit wound, etc.

But let me tell you something I saw about 15 years ago.

When I was a kid I saw one of my friends shoot a guy twice his size 7 times in the torso with a .22 out of fear of taking a beating. It was a "bang bang bang bang bang bang bang click click click click" situation - the guy just emptied the gun into him at less than 12 feet. Maybe it was just divine providence, but none of those bullets hit anything even close to a major organ or something that would actually kill the guy. It didn't even put the kid in intensive care. He was out of the hospital in a few days, and we all expected our buddy be on the receiving end of a revenge killing at any given moment.

The rest of that story isn't germane to the post, so just let me say that I carry a 1911 with two spare magazines.

Overkill? Maybe, but is there really such a thing as "overkill" when you're attempting to neutralize a threat to yourself or your loved ones? I know from experience that there is such a thing as "under-kill."

lots of assassins would disagree

I think you would have to almost exclusively do head shots and be aware that some heads are harder and may deflect the bullet without incapacitation

my last actual gun fight - I was armed with a Browning Buck Mark - not my gun of choice - but it was close at hand when needed and the Mdl 19 S&W was not...

it got the job done, mainly cause the BG didn't like any form of pain - my wife and I were lucky that the diminutive bullet tearing into his flesh was painful enough that he decided he wanted to seek an easier target somewhere else...

Hinckley used a .22 during his 1981 assassination attempt on Pres. Reagan: Shortly before 2:30 p.m. EST, as Reagan walked out of the hotel's T Street NW exit toward his waiting car, Hinckley emerged from the crowd of admirers and fired a Röhm RG-14 .22 cal. blue steel revolver six times in three seconds.[11] The first bullet hit White House Press Secretary James Brady in the head.[12] The second hit District of Columbia police officer Thomas Delahanty in the back.[13][12][14] The third overshot the president and hit the window of a building across the street. The fourth hit Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy in the abdomen.[13][12] The fifth hit the bullet-proof glass of the window on the open side door of the president's limousine. The sixth and final bullet ricocheted off the side of the limousine and hit the president under his left arm, grazing a rib and lodging in his lung, near his heart.[9] Sixteen minutes after the assassination attempt, the ATF found that the gun was purchased at Rocky's Pawn Shop in Dallas, Texas.[15] It was loaded with six "Devastator"-brand .22LR cartridges which contained small lead azide explosive charges and were not manufactured in the US; any bullet which contained actual explosives had already classified as an illegal Explosive Device under US Federal law at the time Hinckley purchased them.
    (Wikipedia, 2008, online)
    (of course "exploding bullets might help)
    Last edited by MR D; April 14th, 2008 at 01:22 PM. Reason: citation of source

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links