Glock question

This is a discussion on Glock question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sometimes when I slam a mag home, the slide closes automatically and chambers a round. Supposed to do this? Don't slam it so hard? Send ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock question

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

Glock question

Sometimes when I slam a mag home, the slide closes automatically and chambers a round. Supposed to do this? Don't slam it so hard? Send it back?

Thanks

SDG
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Sounds like the little spring that controls the slide lockback lever is weak or bent. My daughter recently bought a new Glock and it was doing the exact same thing. I took it apart and found the spring to be bent. I called Glock and they sent me a new one. Any Glock Amourer can do this repair in about 3 minutes.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I'll take it in, thank you.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    As I learned at a defensive handgun course, this is an ADVANTAGE. Gets you "back in the game" quicker.

I do this intentionally with my Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    As I learned at a defensive handgun course, this is an ADVANTAGE. Gets you "back in the game" quicker.

I do this intentionally with my Glocks.
    I was thinking the same thing, that it sounds pretty cool. However if the user isn't ready for it this it could be unsafe. I'm sure it could be done by getting a weaker spring.

But your problem is probably a bent spring, which might just get weaker over time since it has been damaged already, better get that fixed.

Problem is, it generally isn't consistant in the auto-close, so...

Yeah, +1 Rob. My G23 only likes to do it every 10th time or so.
    God Bless America!!

mine all do it occasionally...I rack after every reload anyway (regardless of whether the slide drops on its own).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I was told that was a side-effect do to the pistol's design back when I first switched to Glocks. Later it was also pointed out to me that the slide will close when slamming a mag if the pistol is held at an angle, but it won't if the barrel is pointing horizontally. For that reason this was touted as a design feature by some. Either way, in my experience the "angle" does make a difference in whether or not the slide will fall. BTW, my USP did this as well, so it's not an isolated Glock incident.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Quote Originally Posted by Derrin33 View Post
    Yeah, +1 Rob. My G23 only likes to do it every 10th time or so.
    I'd say that is pretty close to how often it happens with me as well. I usually don't mind since that is my next step, and it's only unsafe if you have your finger on the trigger, which it shouldn't be.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    My G21s both "auto-close" every time. My G27 only rarely. I don't worry about it.

VIP Member
    Yup, my 27 does it once in a while too... no worries.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Sometimes when I slam a mag home, the slide closes automatically and chambers a round. Supposed to do this? Don't slam it so hard? Send it back?
    I have several magazines that do this---all in the large frame pistols--(G17 and G22). It's just the magazines. I don't even have to slam mine that hard. I did not mark mine as to which magazines do this, and I really don't see the need. Having a magazine insertion close the slide and chamber a round is actually a good thing in my opinion--I wish all my mags would do it. There's nothing wrong with your pistol from what I can tell. My G21 would do this with four out of the six magazines I had for it. All were the 13 rounders. From what I remember, the ones that do this in my G17 and G22 are hi-cappers too! I don't exactly know how all this correlates, but if I were you, I'd look at it as a good thing too.

My G34 does it 90% of the time. It takes me by surprise when it doesn't happen.
    I don't see a downside to it. The gun is pointed in a safe direction and my finger is off the trigger.

My G23's slide will do this every so often, every 1911 .45 I've ever shot has done this from time to time (I've shot quite a few), my Ruger 9mm does it just as much as the Beretta 92's I carry on duty, which is every couple of 'mag slams' when reloading.

It's very common in my experience to have a slide go to battery when 'slamming' a fresh magizine home. When at the range, go with it. Your sidearm is ready to fight......if it happens in a combat situation, go with it, your sidearm is ready to fight. There is NO malfunction, this just 'happens'......and don't start 'babying' your magizine loads, keep slamming 'em home. You fight how you practice. I don't believe you need to send your Glock away to be 'fixed' or 'tuned' or anything.

I'm not a armorer or a gunsmith, but I have shot MANY diffrent auto loaders and have experienced this since I began shooting. The guns are not 'designed' to do this, and they're not designed to 'not ' do this either.... but it's certinly NOT a malfunction.

This is just my opinion, based on experiences I've had, put on the internet. Take it for what it's worth.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links