Which company to patronize?

This is a discussion on Which company to patronize? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am pondering which company to choose in the way of a snubnose revolver. I am torn between Taurus or S&W. Anyone with experience with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am pondering which company to choose in the way of a snubnose revolver. I am torn between Taurus or S&W. Anyone with experience with either of these brands please feel free to contribute. I would use it for a bug and/or pocket carry. The titanium models of the Taurus line really caught my attention. I am looking forward to your counsel. Thank you.

Colt Detective Special "The Original Snubby"

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Smith &Wesson hard to beat.Seriously buy what shoots and feels best for you regardless of brand.

S&W has better quality I'd say. If it's 38, the price is pretty close. For some reason S&W 357s cost a lot more.
    -Biker

I believe S&W is the gold standard in revolvers.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I presently have each in my Household. My wife carries the S&W .38 while I sometimes carry the Taurus model 85. in .38. Both equipped with CT grips. The S&W is much smoother in operation and IMP a better gun, but either one will answer the call to duty if needed.

I own revolvers made by both and I find them about the same in quality and workmanship. Along time ago S&W was the better pistol but these days their the same. I do know that Taurus does offer a life time guarantee on their products and I find that a plus. I own the Taurus CIA 650 model .357 snubbie which is simular to the S&W J-frame that I have amd it is one of my favorites. I have fired countless rounds through it with out any problems. Bottom line is you can not go wrong with either gun. It all matters on what you like.

The S&W is a better gun. Both will work but the Smith is cleaner and smoother.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    For pocket carry:

- Colt Det Spcl is a very heavy gun. Hammer likely to get hung up on cloth trying to draw in a panic situation.

- Hammerless S&W is best for easy draw and light weight.

Wrt .357 snubbies or titanium models . . . try it before you buy it. Even my favorite gun dealer told me that people buy them to carry and after shooting them once they either pack them away, sell them or refuse to practice with them. They are brutal on the hand.

The heavier the gun, the more that the gun absorbs recoil. On the other hand for pocket carry or even IWB/OWB carry we look for light-weight, so it is a tough balancing act to get a manageable gun in a super small/lightweight size.

Senior Moderator
    The S&W has a better trigger and will retain its value better.

Taurus quality has come a really long way, they have decent triggers and are cheaper.

I have a Taurus 605 that is my pocket carry pistol
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Had a Taurus .38 revolver for a few weeks and MAN o MAN was that thing inaccurate!

Gave it back to my buddy
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

Administrator
    The Smith/Wesson is a better investment concerning resale value.
    Given the choice I would always choose the S&W.
    Just my own personal opinion...though the Taurus guns (in general) have improved greatly (as in Leaps & Bounds) they used to have such a totally crappy reputation and high catastrophic failure rate that in my own mind I can never forget how worse than bad they used to be.

They have proved to be decent these days though. My memory is admittedly probably too long.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Ruger SP101.

A little heavier than the heaviest S&W J Frame, but lacks the internal locking mechanism (on all recent S&W revolvers) that has been reported to lock up unintentionally rendering the revolver (temporarily) useless. Chambered for .357 magnum for serious stopping power, but also shoots .38 +P or +P+ for target shooting and less bang and recoil for personal defense purposes.

Administrator
    S&W
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    I believe S&W is the gold standard in revolvers.
    Having owned a few, I'd say Ruger's are every bit as tough as S&W's. The one point I will give S&W is they have a smoother trigger out of the box, but I think the Ruger is even more reliable - plus, the Ruger doesn't have the internal lock.

If you don't mind a little extra weight, check out an SP101. You can't go wrong with an S&W either. They're in a whole different class from Taurus, Rossi, Charter Arms, etc...

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links