Poll for SIG Owners: SA/DA vs. DAK

This is a discussion on Poll for SIG Owners: SA/DA vs. DAK within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have determined that next purchase will be SIG P239 9mm. Torn between SA/DA or DAK configuration. Open to any opinions or suggestions....

View Poll Results: Which configuration for New SIG P239?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • SA/DA

62 65.96%
  • DAK

32 34.04%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll for SIG Owners: SA/DA vs. DAK

Poll for SIG Owners: SA/DA vs. DAK

Have determined that next purchase will be SIG P239 9mm. Torn between SA/DA or DAK configuration. Open to any opinions or suggestions.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

2. Remove Ads

Guy at my local Gun Shop told me that the DAK (or double action only) is pretty much a safety thing that law enforcement agencies love. They dont want accidental discharges when the LEO's heart rate is 200mph or after a shooting. Because of the DAK system many agencies now have a contract with Sig Sauer.
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

Interesting poll. I have a DA/SA 239 right now and was considering the conversion to DAK so I would have to only learn one trigger pull for increased BAR (body alarm response) in case of actuial shooting. I have not decided as I have not shot the DAK trigger. There was another fella here not long ago who was selling grips after he went from DAK to DA/SA. I will keep watch here and knowing the conversion is $200 I may hold off for now.

VIP Member
    The DAK does make a lot of sense for carry but I shoot so much better with a SAO!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Moderator
    DAO are for people that neither have the time or the inclination to master a simple DA/SA trigger.

The DAO originally came out as an alternative to training. Its no better than shooting a revolver double action and the result is decreased accuracy due to the long trigger pull and movement of the gun when firing.

Of course, at typical ranges of 7 yards or less,firing at a large target, it doesn't matter so much but it is slow.

The only reason that it is even popular is because in this new age of dumbed downed Americans that expect instant gratification and something as simple as a double action,single action thereafter trigger that necessitates just a little bit more training, it is seen as being "safer" and less prone to accidental discharge.

Since most people will want to shoot at targets at some time in their life, the first time that they actually try a true single action and they realize that it really is a better gun to shoot accurately, then they will no longer be satisfied with a DAO action and either look to trade or sell or buy another gun.

I've seen it time after time. Hardly anyone goes from a SA to a DAO. On the other hand, lots of people put the DAO's away and get better shooting guns.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    Instead of voting I'd just suggest seeing if you can somehow shoot both and make up your own mind. You just might not be happy with what other folks like.

But you can't go wrong with a SIG 239.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    Instead of voting I'd just suggest seeing if you can somehow shoot both and make up your own mind. You just might not be happy with what other folks like.
    Good advice...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

DA/SA and practice

I have 3 Sigs, buying my first one about 10 years ago, and they are all DA/SA. Once you become accustomed to the Sig DA/SA trigger through practice and repitition, you find that it works very well. The first DA pull is usually 9 or 10 lbs, but very smooth. Subsequent SA pull is about 4.5 lbs with no "stacking" or increase in force before the gun fires. You can shoot very well with this trigger system, and the first DA shot can be quite accurate.

So I voted for the DA/SA over the DAK.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I didn't think I would but I love the new DAK.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    DAO are for people that neither have the time or the inclination to master a simple DA/SA trigger.

The DAO originally came out as an alternative to training. Its no better than shooting a revolver double action and the result is decreased accuracy due to the long trigger pull and movement of the gun when firing.

Of course, at typical ranges of 7 yards or less,firing at a large target, it doesn't matter so much but it is slow.

The only reason that it is even popular is because in this new age of dumbed downed Americans that expect instant gratification and something as simple as a double action,single action thereafter trigger that necessitates just a little bit more training, it is seen as being "safer" and less prone to accidental discharge.

Since most people will want to shoot at targets at some time in their life, the first time that they actually try a true single action and they realize that it really is a better gun to shoot accurately, then they will no longer be satisfied with a DAO action and either look to trade or sell or buy another gun.

I've seen it time after time. Hardly anyone goes from a SA to a DAO. On the other hand, lots of people put the DAO's away and get better shooting guns.

I agree completely on that arguement. I believe DAK differs from DAO, though. From what I understand the first pull is long and follow up shots can be fired quickly due to the fact that the trigger resets
    about halfway back to its rest position....similar to a Glock trigger. May be wrong...I don't know....what say the DAK owners?
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Administrator
    Not that it matters, but I prefer the standard Sig set up... you might be the opposite.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    WJP9, pretty much that's it. DAK is a double-action only, hammer fired action. First pull is a light (usually about 6.5#) full length stroke. Then the trigger resets at an intermediate point with a heavier pull (10.5# or so), or you can let it all the way out for the 6.5# pull. Since it is hammer fired, it has a second strike capability (click, no bang, just pull again), unlike (if I understand correctly) most striker fired safe-action type guns.

I haven't fired one (so I didn't vote), but several people I know have and they all rave about how smooth the trigger is. I would really like to get my hands on one, though...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Like da dak

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

VIP Member
    I have, like and shoot both.

IMHO, the DAK is a better choice that a DAO -- assuming they are your only choices. However, you need to decide against both a DA/SA and a striker to get to that point.

The Sig DAK, the H&K LEM, and striker Glocks, S&W, etc were developed to get the LEO market, when switching from wheel guns. Why? 1) ND's in adrenaline rush situations -- both finger twitches and re-holstering in SA mode w/o safeties back on. 2) Transition of LEOs w/o various safeties causing someone to get shot while "forgetting how to shoot the 'new gun'." An existing force of LEO with years of training and muscle memory of using a wheel gun i.e., draw/pull trigger/bang w/o messing with a safety.

The following is excerpted and shorten/modified from _Shooting Times_.

The DAK trigger system delivers a smooth, consistent 6.5-pound full-length trigger pull that feels much closer to the pull weight of a striker than any regular DAO. However, IMHO the S&W and Glock are much lighter pulls. It also provides a complete re-strike capability without any pretensioning or prestressing of the internal firing mechanism -- a.k.a. tap-rack-bang.

There is nothing magical about the design. It is done by the mechanical advantages in the trigger/hammer linkages. The key is an extended the "leverage arm" of the hammer from the pivot point (like sitting farther from the fulcrum of a seesaw) so that less force is required from the trigger while remaining within the existing dimensions

After initial firing, the shooter can control the trigger reset either to an intermediate point with a shorter pull distance and two-pound heavier weight (the trigger bar intersects the hammer arm closer to the pivot point) or fully reset to the original longer and lighter weight position.

Externally, the only visible difference between a SIG DAK mechanism and a conventional SIG DAO mechanism is that the DAK trigger has a slightly slimmer profile and the DAK hammer is bobbed and sits completely within the frame when at rest, while the DAO hammer protrudes slightly. Other attractive features include the fact that the slide must be locked back and the magazine removed to disassemble, and it can be disassembled without having to pull the trigger.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I bought a 239 SAS .40 a few months ago. Was very surprised with the level of accuracy. It shoots better than many of my other pistols.
    This was the first time I've tried the DAK system, but I am very pleased.
    It took me about 100 rounds to get comfortable with it. After that I think it's great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links