Glock magazine question

This is a discussion on Glock magazine question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have on mag loaded with cor-bon hollow points 13 rds and when racked it feeds perfect. I have another mag loaded with speer gold ...

Thread: Glock magazine question

Glock magazine question

I have on mag loaded with cor-bon hollow points 13 rds and when racked it feeds perfect.
    I have another mag loaded with speer gold hollow points and if mag is full 13 rounds it will not rack unless I take one round out of mag.
    I have switched mags and tried to see if if was the mag but the cor-bon rack's perfect in either mag.
    could this be bad ammo or could something else be going on...
    maybe with the gun itself?
    This has me perplexed.
    Glock 23
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger Mark 3
    S&W 642
    Looking

2. Remove Ads

Well, every gun has the potential to be finicky with different ammo. If I had to guess, I say it's probably the wider cavity of the Gold Dots that's making the difference. How's your feed ramp look, have you tried to polish it? How long have you had this particular Glock?

If all else fails, just carry Cor-bons and forget the Gold Dots. If you're just looking for another brand of ammo to use (or a backup brand), I'd say Remington Golden Sabers would probably feed just fine as they've got a nicely rounded nose profile.
    Jack

Hmmm, that is a perplexing problem. Like you say it doesn't seem to be a magazine problem or a feed issue as the gold dots will feed, just not from a fully loaded magazine. Sounds to me like the top round in the gold dot magazine is somehow nosediving and not lining up to feed properly. Remove one round and then the top round is lined up and will feed. I would try another box of gold dots to make sure it is not the ammo. If not then inspect the lips of your magazines and make sure that they are not cracked or deformed, especially when fully loaded with the gold dots. If your magazines are fine, which sounds like they probably are, I would call Glock and explain to them your situation. Glocks usually feed any factory round you put into them.

Do your mags have the newest followers? They were redesigned I think. Don't know what the difference in ammo would be?

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Call Glock's Tech Supt number and explain it to them. Perhaps they have a solution (new springs/followers). You'll be amazed how customer friendly they are.

Yeah--don't forget to ask for your free calendar!
    1-770-432-1202

thanks guys for the ideas. I will play around with the mags tommorow. The pistol was new to me last Sept. and was made in 2007. I do like the idea of calling glock and appreciate the phone nmbr.
    And yes a calender would be great.
    Glock 23
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger Mark 3
    S&W 642
    Looking

My G23 does the exact same thing. With Hydrashocks in the mags, they are easy to hand cycle, but with my favorite ammo, Remington Golden Saber, the gun is very difficult to hand cycle the slide. I can still do it, it just feels like the slide is dragging on the top round.

It doesn't keep the gun from functioning normally when I fire it at the range though. So, I don't worry about it too much.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Good thing the old Speer "Flying Ashtray" isn't still around, you plastic tenders would never get a shot off!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Will a full magazine seat completely while the slide is forward? How is getting the thirteenth round in the magazine anyway? The G21 I had it was virtually impossible to load to capacity, IIRC the G30 was the same way. I do remember that the top round was gouged on the rim by the magazine lips.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Good thing the old Speer "Flying Ashtray" isn't still around, you plastic tenders would never get a shot off!
    It feeds, it's loading the mag to full capacity that's problematic. Yeah, its a shoulder issue. The wider HP has more surface hitting the bottom of the slide, so a fully loaded mag may have difficulty seating. You're probably looking at .020"-.030" in height difference. Empty the mag a few times, and it may ease up, depending on how much set the spring will take. If not, you'll carry 1 in the chamber & 1 low in the mag. 9mm doesn't have this problem cough, cough...

It is for this reason that I download Glock magazines by one (just as I download AR mags by 2).
    For the record, my Glock will feed from full mags, but it is difficult to seat the mag on a closed slide.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Links