What pistol

This is a discussion on What pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ellswj so I thought I had my mind all made up. I had decided on a XD 4 inch in 45 acp. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What pistol

Quote Originally Posted by ellswj View Post
    so I thought I had my mind all made up. I had decided on a XD 4 inch in 45 acp. Then today at my local shop the store owner and I started talking about how I would love a 1911,but couldn't afford it. He then proceeded to show me a new Taurus 1911 for $550. now Im all messed up in the head as to what to do, please help
    I love my XD.45 compact. Rock solid reliable. Hits everything I point it at. Eats everything I feed it. The grip and trigger safeties are natural and intuitive. No manual safety to confuse matters or cause a delay when nano seconds count. Easy to conceal & carry all day long. The compact magazine holds more than a full size 1911 ten plus one in the pipe with thirteen in the spare for twenty four out the door. Thats a lot of 230 gr. Federal HST flowering messages for the BG or bring two spares for forty six rounds. Need more see a therapist, Actually I keep two more in the console just in case. Murphy's law and all that. What continues to amaze me is this is a compact .45 cal that is just a blast to shoot and I swear I am a better shot because of it. Being old I never ever thought I'd be shooting tupperware much less praising it but now I can not imagine a better EDC for me. She isn't a beauty and I do need me a nice Sunday goin to meetin dress up gun, but the XD is the every day work horse that I am betting my family's lives on to do its part. Add TFO fiber optic night sights and a K&D holster you'll be good to go

Here are some links to XD article if you have not seen them.
    XD Torture test
    SPRINGFIELD'S XD SUB-COMPACT GOES HIGH-CAP
    SPRINGFIELD'S XD GOES THE DISTANCE
    THE XD EXTREME DUTY SERVICE AUTO PISTOL
    SPRINGFIELD'S .45 GAP XD TACTICAL PISTOL
    SPRINGFIELD XD .40 SUB-COMPACT
    SPRINGFIELD'S X-TREME DUTY POLYMER POWERHOUSE
    The XD Goes ACP
    SPRINGFIELD'S SUB-COMPACT XD
    Springfield's XD Keeps On Growing
    SPRINGFIELD'S XD GETS LITTLE
    Springfield's XD .45
    SPRINGFIELD GOES POLYMER
    SPRINGFIELD ARMORY XD SERIES
    Sizing Down, Powering Up
    A FAIR SHARE OF ABUSE
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

Just to add to the confusion. Soon as the puppies sell we are looking at picking up a Stoeger Cougar for the wife as the .45 is a bit much for her. It is a Beretta Cougar, exact same gun, made with the same tools, every thing. An $880 gun if it says Beretta on it and $425 if it says Stoeger on it. Beretta quality and Beretta customer support at half price is hard to beat.
    Here is the Wikipedia encyclopedia article in case you are interested.

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I would go with the XD if you are new to guns or have limited experience. I would go with the 1911 only if you were familiar with the cocked and locked single action mode of carry or plan on extensive training to become familiar and where it is second nature to you. A lot of people carry 1911s who shouldn't, because they are not accustomed to the thumb and grip safeties and may fumble with the gun when they need to fire it in a hurry. 1911s are wonderful self defense weapons, but only in trained hands are they effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    For carry ? The 1911 will carry a little better because it's thinner. The XD is a good gun, just a little bulkier.
    +1 I have a Springfield 1911 and XD45 Service both are excellent guns but the 1911 is easer to carry because of its thinner profile. They both need a good holster and belt situp.
    Vic
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II
    Kimber Custom II
    Glock 23, Sig Sauer P225, Kel-Tec PF-9
    Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. SUN TZU THE ART OF WAR

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Whichever one you can shoot more accurately and comfortably.

That is exactly what you need to consider, unless your just collecting.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

I'm definitely familiar with the design and function of the 1911, Ive shot them countless times and Ive been around guns my entire life. The function of the pistols is not the question I would feel comfortable with both and they both point extremely well.another thing for me to consider is with no manual saftey is the XD safe to carry cocked and locked? I hope thats not a stupid question I just am not used to carry a pistol around all the time. I also looked at the new XD with the thumb saftey,would that be better? Oh yeah I also thought I should tell you guys Im 6'3 215lb so the actual size shouldnt be a problem should it

Go to the range and rent a bunch of 45acps. Then hold, fondle, and shoot them. After all this, pick the 45acp that feels and shoots best for you. Regards, Richard

DC Founder
    I am somewhat biased towards the 1911 because it's all I carry now, but I have, in the past, owned an XD and also really liked it. So much that I will buy another some day. Really I don't think you could go wrong with either one, but as others have pointed out, carrying cocked and locked, thumb safety manipulation and weight are factors that others find objectionable. Personally, the weight is no different to any other gun after carrying it awhile and I find the slimness of the 1911 does make it much easier to conceal. I have found no problem with thumb safety manipulation until I pick up another gun and don't find it....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    I'll offer another take on this, being one who's sensitive to weight as well as width of a carry pistol. That Taurus weighs in at 38 ounces, about 9 ounces heavier than the XD--that doesn't sound like much until you have it hanging on you, so do consider weight.

For the money, ease of operation, size/weight and reliability I'd go with the XD.
    I sometimes disregard the weight more than I should because I wear a duty belt and complimentary gear for 10 hours a day. Weight would probably be more an issue if I were in a different line of work, or retired and wasn't condition to carrying a load.

I've always been a fan of the 1911 and own a lightweight 4" 1911 which makes carry easy. I've owned an XD-40 service and found it to be a good gun. I sold it only because I didn't need another polymer gun and I had no practical use for it. Either will serve you well for carry.

Like others have said, really it's whatever feels better in your hands.

OK third post on the same thread probably a rule against that and no I really am not trying to sell you an XD but hope this answers your question

another thing for me to consider is with no manual safety is the XD safe to carry cocked and locked? I hope thats not a stupid question I just am not used to carry a pistol around all the time.
    Not a stupid question at all. I felt that way even though lack of a manual safety is part of why I bought an XD. But once I got it strapped on it felt, well, unsafe. The operative word is "felt" It's a feeling that has no foundation in fact. Much the same way that many "feel" that a cocked n locked 1911 is unsafe. I mean look at it, the hammer is cocked what if some one bumps it yadda yadda. Same deal with XD's. Remember feelings are not facts. It is a very safe system IMO, that does take some getting used to.

I also looked at the new XD with the thumb safety, would that be better?
    See above. Those are about as useful as udders on a boar hog and counter productive. It is just one more thing for me to screw up and slow me down. For that reason Fairbairn Sykes suggested removing any manual safety on your carry gun. According to them they knew of people who had been killed or shot because of the manual safety. Is it on? Is it off? The wrong answer either way could be fatal or painful. Thats why I like an intuitive safety I do not have to mess with but keeps the gun from firing due to a real a accident like being dropped, bumped, snagging onto something, etc. The XD will fire every time you do two things simultaneously have a firing grip on the gun and intentionally pull the trigger. If you don't it won't

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links