What pistol

What pistol

This is a discussion on What pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so I thought I had my mind all made up. I had decided on a XD 4 inch in 45 acp. Then today at my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What pistol

What pistol

so I thought I had my mind all made up. I had decided on a XD 4 inch in 45 acp. Then today at my local shop the store owner and I started talking about how I would love a 1911,but couldn't afford it. He then proceeded to show me a new Taurus 1911 for $550. now Im all messed up in the head as to what to do, please help

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    First handgun? EDC (everyday carry)? 1911's are no doubt awesome, and many on these forums carry them; however, it is my opinion that everyone should own a Glock or an XD as they will last forever, are very reliable, and will eat just about anything you can feed em. Plus, it has more shots than a 1911. Dunno about you but I fear that 7 or 8 won't be enough if the worst happens. Just things to consider.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

VIP Member
    I have the Taurus 1911 and also a XD 4" 9 mm. They are both great guns. Do a search on this site there is a lot of info on XD'S and the Taurus 1911. Good luck.

Whichever one you can shoot more accurately and comfortably.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I'd say go for both. I bought the Taurus 1911 last year and love it. I just bought an XD, although mine's the 9mm sub compact, but even though it's only been a couple of weeks, I can see picking up another XD or two very soon (The .45 4" might be on layaway by this weekend). Don't ask me to pick my favorite between the two.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

That XD .45 packs some punch! I would say shoot them both then if your not sure, get the XD. Then find you a 1911 you want later, that way you can afford some user friendly bells and whistles!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

For carry ? The 1911 will carry a little better because it's thinner. The XD is a good gun, just a little bulkier.

I currently have Glocks and a SIG. The PT1911 has great reviews here in the forum, and in the periodicals. I'm getting one of them next. I say go for it--it appears to have all and more of the custom options a 1911 owner could want and a good shooter also. For the price, I don't believe one could go wrong.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...11-owners.html

I would be using this for EDC.You guys say th PT1911 would conceal better because its slimmer, right? I was wondering about the weight issue because the 1911 felt half again as heavy as the XD, is that an issue. This is not my first pistol and I am very familiar with firearms, but I will be using this pistol to use in my CCW class, so any issues with weight , magazine capacity and anything else I havnt thought of Im not real sure on. Oh yeah this pistol will be carried in a IWB Comp Tac MTAC holster

TIA
    Jarrad

Weight can be an issue. It's personal preference. I don't mind it occassionally. When I do, I strap up with the Glock or M&P9c. I just get a warm feeling though when I have the 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    For carry ? The 1911 will carry a little better because it's thinner. The XD is a good gun, just a little bulkier.
    I'll offer another take on this, being one who's sensitive to weight as well as width of a carry pistol. That Taurus weighs in at 38 ounces, about 9 ounces heavier than the XD--that doesn't sound like much until you have it hanging on you, so do consider weight.

For the money, ease of operation, size/weight and reliability I'd go with the XD.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Personally, being someone who doesn't have an rearend plump enough to hold my pants up, weight becomes a big factor. I love my Sig .40, but my pants are constantly falling when i carry it. So, most of the time a carry a .38 airweight.

You can get both for a little over what it would cost to get a new sig. I've got both and enjoy them immensely.

Go with the XD. The design is more "user friendly." The 1911 is the finest fighting pistol ever designed, but it is a pistol that takes some dedication and practice to master.
    Taurus has the worst customer service in the industry. If you get a good pistol, that is of little concern, but most Taurii I have seen including all of their 1911s have needed to go back to the factory for one reason or another! Several had to go back more than once.
    Several other 1911s available by Colt, Springfield, S&W, SIG, Rock River, Wilson, Baer, Ed Brown. From relatively inexpensive up to ouch$$$!

The XD is one of the best buys for the money spent and I think you will enjoy shooting it. Then save up for the really good 1911.

do what i did and combine the two:

get the xd .45 compact tactical. got the 5" barrel, but the shortened grip for easier concealment, with the potency of the .45. hell i was sold on the .40 s&w until i fired both, and there's no contest: .45 hands down. just holding the 230 grain bullet in your hand feels like you could pelt someone to death with it if you had to. and the .45 recoil is actually more slow and manageable, IMHO, though neither is unpleasant to shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links