Trying to decide on a new EDC.

This is a discussion on Trying to decide on a new EDC. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trying to decide on a new EDC. It has to either be pocket carry or IWB/tuckable for the majority of time. Price is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide on a new EDC.

Trying to decide on a new EDC.

I am trying to decide on a new EDC. It has to either be pocket carry or IWB/tuckable for the majority of time. Price is definitely a consideration as I have a budget under $600, so please don't suggest any pricey/expensive weapons. I have looked at the Glock 26/27 and the S&W 642. Caliber is not as much a consideration as concealability. I already carry a Keltec P3AT but would like something a little more powerful/?dependable? and as low-maintenance as possible.

My concern with the Glocks is that they may not be as concealable IWB/tucked (casual business attire in the office.) However, the number of rounds, power, and accuracy, and reliability are definite pros. I do not envision myself needing anything other than a "get 'em off me" type of weapon as I don't frequent areas that are prone to violence. But, you never know what might happen.

I am medium build - 5'-11' and 190 lbs. with a 38" waist. I shoot pretty well at the range, but have not been in any other type of shooting situation. No formal training in use of firearms in a combative situation. I am familiar with shooting both sliders and wheel guns, so I have no real preference there. Anyway, the two methods of carry most often utilized by me would be the front pocket and IWB/tucked. Others as clothing/occasion permits. Any thoughts would be appreciated and if more information is needed, I'll try to respond ASAP. Thanks.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Ron
    I pocket carry a 642 all day in complete comfort in a Mika pocket holster. It would be nice to have more rounds available, but IMO the five shots would in almost every potential scenario be sufficient. If not, I would probably be in deep trouble, regardless of the number of additional rounds I had available.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

IWB tuckable and pocket carry

If you want one gun for both pocket carry and IWB tuckable carry, I'd recommend the 9mm Kahr PM9. It weighs about 17 ounces empty and is roughly 0.90 to 0.95 inches thick, so it fits well in either mode of carry. The gun's capacity is 6+1.

If you were only going to carry IWB tucked and pocket carry were not a consideration, you could also consider the all steel Kahr MK9, which has the same dimensions as the PM9 but weighs 7 ounces more. It handles recoil better than the PM9 because of this weight. I use one of these and it is a reliable, accurate gun.

Finally the 9mm Walther PPS is a good IWB gun because it is quite thin, like the PM9, although it weighs a little more and has a longer slide and barrel.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i pocket carry a 642 everyday and love it. so simple and easy..no worries about a heavy rig on your belt. you can wear almost anything, as long as the pants aren't too thin.
    20.00 pocket holster does the trick...
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by dhbry232 View Post
    ...I have looked at the Glock 26/27 and the S&W 642. Caliber is not as much a consideration as concealability. I already carry a Keltec P3AT but would like something a little more powerful/?dependable? and as low-maintenance as possible.

... I do not envision myself needing anything other than a "get 'em off me" type of weapon as I don't frequent areas that are prone to violence. But, you never know what might happen.

I am medium build - 5'-11' and 190 lbs. with a 38" waist. I shoot pretty well at the range, but have not been in any other type of shooting situation. No formal training in use of firearms in a combative situation. I am familiar with shooting both sliders and wheel guns, so I have no real preference there. Anyway, the two methods of carry most often utilized by me would be the front pocket and IWB/tucked. Others as clothing/occasion permits. Any thoughts would be appreciated and if more information is needed, I'll try to respond ASAP. Thanks.
    #1 Glocks are easily concealed in office type clothing with tuckable holsters or a sweater.

I carry a Glock 19 every day in an office setting and it doesn't print.

#2 Their are good handguns to carry and good handguns to fight with (as much as any handgun in a good weapon to fight with). Seldom are they the same gun, but Glocks in the 26 & 19 size are those guns; but even carrying the 17 isn't bad. I'm thinking of going from a 19 to a 17 because if I'm going to need a gun, I may as well go with a bigger gun if I can conceal it.

#3 - Find a used, chewed on, worn Glock 9mm in a gun shop's used case. Have a gunsmith replace the springs, check it for necessary upgrades to the frame and then shoot the hell out of it. Glock 9mm's are effectively immortal and the odds of you getting a bad one are very very low.

If you want an alternative, check out those Sig 225's floating around the internet for $250 or so. Less capacity, but nice guns.

Use the money you save on buying a used gun for training.

Just a side thought here: Have you considered a Glock 36? The single stack configuration would print less than a G26 and it throws great big bullets!

My current pocket gun is a 642 j-frame. It carries pretty well in carpenter's jeans but when I wear slacks it usually rides in an ankle holster. The reliability is hard to beat but in this day and age there are larger caliber, higher capacity guns in about the same size.
    Jack

I have a PM9 and a S&W 442, Brother to the 642, and favor the 442 for Pocket Carry.

While the 642 makes more of a "lump" in the pocket, it is not discernable as a gun. When I pocket carry the PM9 I find that everybody and their Brother knows I have a gun in my pocket because of the square angles of the gun.

If you suggest another Holster I will be disappointed. Follow my previous postings and you will see I'm well versed in good leather. The J-Frame draws easier from the pocket too, and the Revolver in it's smaller size still retains an "edge" in reliability.

As far as the number of rounds, yes, you can never have too many rounds in a gunfight. However as a truely defensive weapon I feel that five shots is enought to allow one to shoot and disengage. The handgun is for fighting your way out of a situation, not as an offensive weapon. Those of us in law enforcement often use a handgun as an offensive weapon, as oppossed to a defensive weapon, because it's a PITA to carry an M4 all the time. For offensive duties I much prefer the rifle or shotgun.

Make no mistake about it, when good guys and gals start shooting back at criminals, proving their victim selection process was wrong, bad guys tend to start "beating feet" or "kicking rocks" as we like to say. This is different than for LEO's.

When I have to carry under "Deep Concealment" and carry only one gun that can't be discovered, it's the Airweight J-Frame that I reach for. It hides better, more reliable and packs enough "punch" to get me home if I do my part.

Good luck and stay safe.

Biker

As usual, forum members have a depth of experience and are willing to share. Thanks to all who responded. Biker, I am leaning heavily toward the 642 for the reasons you mentioned. As noted in my post, I can always carry my Keltec P3AT if nothing else will hide well enough. But, for an all around personal protection device, the 642 seems to have the most going for it based on my criteria.

Concealability, price, and weight are prime factors in my search. Also, I am used to .38 specials - first revolver I ever shot, and first I ever owned shot .38 specials. I think I may go with the 642 for now and just save for a really nice slider (something in a 1911, maybe) to be acquired later on. Thanks again for all the advice (and that Walther does look pretty good!)
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

I am 5'11" 195lbs with a 36" waist, so I know how you feel. My daily carry varie between an xd-40 sub, and a Kahr mk40. The XD is in your price range, conceals very easily in a crossbreed wearing just jeans and a t-shirt. The Kahr conceals even easier no matter what I wear. I am also looking at buying a snubby in the next few weeks. I am looking at a 638 though. If you are set on pocket carry from what I hear and read, a snubbie is definetly the way to go. If you prefer iwb as I do, a Kahr is probably one of the easiest to conceal.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

My opinion is pretty much in line with Mitchell's regarding Glocks...you can't go wrong.

I have no problems concealing my 19 IWB (or my 17 for that matter) so the 26 should be a breeze. I'll grant you that it's probably not as good for pocket carry (unless you're wearing cargo-pants or something), but for IWB, it'll be just fine.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I believe that there could be a single-stack Glock in your future...a G-36...a very concealable .45 (definitely in your price range)

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    All the above have given you good advice....here's my personal experience. I have Glocks (26 &19) a Sig 239, a Ruger SP101, and a S &W 642; all considered good carry guns. All are great guns and I love them. The one I end up carrying 9 out of 10 days......S&W 642 loaded with Gold Dot +p short barrel, and a stripper clip for an extra 6 rounds. My choice is based solely on comfort and concealability. It's great for either pocket carry or iwb holster.

I'm 6'2" 230lbs and have a 36-38" waist. I could probably carry more gun - but I'll tell you - I have a Walther PPS 9mm with a High Noon "Split Decision" tuckable IWB holster. The gun completely disapears on me and is very comfortable to wear at both 5 o'clock and at 2 o'clock. On occasion I will pocket carry - but I really don't like to. The Split Decisoin is great for the tuck factor as well - I wear shirts tucked in 99% of my life.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    +1 for the PPS. I'm 5'6" 135 with a 30-32" waist. I carry it in either a Desantis Super Fly, SmartCarry, or a Crossbreed Supertuck (again, it just disappears). It is available in 9mm, soon in .40. With the 9, you have a choice of 8,7, or 6 round magazines, plus one in the pipe. I have 400 rounds through mine so far and the only problem is that it wants more ammo! The only things to consider are the price/availability and aftermarket because it still pretty new.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

VIP Member
    If the time ever comes where you decide that now you want to carry (insert firearm model here), the 642 will still be a weapon you can use as a pocket gun or a BUG. I vote for the Smith!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links