357 MAGNUM or 38SPL for my new EDC Snub Revolver??? Help me out!!!

This is a discussion on 357 MAGNUM or 38SPL for my new EDC Snub Revolver??? Help me out!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Derrin33 I actually prefer .38 to .357. But thats me. Kinda like how I prefer .40 to 9mm and .45. It's all ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 357 MAGNUM or 38SPL for my new EDC Snub Revolver??? Help me out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Derrin33 View Post
    I actually prefer .38 to .357. But thats me. Kinda like how I prefer .40 to 9mm and .45. It's all about what you like. BIG +1 to the fact that buying a .357 gives you the option of shooting both rounds. Not only do I prefer it, but so does my wife. She wants a 85 just like mine and I figured why not buy 2 and just buy one kind of ammo.
    Totalmente de acuerdo señor. I load up with 357Mag when out in bear or mtn lion country hiking or camping. Most of the time around town I'm carrying Speer Gold Dot 125gr 38spl+P or BB 158 gr +P LSWC. I love the variety of ammunition options you get with a 357Mag S&W or Ruger.

2. Remove Ads

Hey All,
    Thanks for your responses thus far, it really helps guide my thinking towards the right choice. As of now I'm still leaning heavily towards the S&W M&P 340 (.357 Magnum). Still my only concern is the fact that a lot of the gun powder won't burn before the bullet leaves the barrel so that will produce a very bright flash that could temporarily blind me in a low-light shooting (which as everybody knows most shootings occur in low light). So that being said, I think Marvin Knox hit on the fact that they make 357 ammunition that is "low flash" anyone have any insight on that? Does it make a difference? This whole muzzle flash is really important b/c what's the extra power from a 357 cartridge worth if it makes you momentarily blind.... right??? ---- The 38SPL would then be the better choice I think. ------ Any thoughts on this???? -- Also if you got anything else, please add!!!! Thanks again everybody

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I own both a 642 Airweight and an SP101. The .38 airweight (15 oz.) is more punishing with +p loads than the SP 101 (27 oz) is with magnum loads.
    The Speer Gold Dot 135gr. short barrel load, exits a 2" barrel @ a reported 950 fps, and is formulated to expand and penetrate at this velocity. Recoil with these are a little less than other 357 loads I've fired, but, I still would not want to shoot them out of a 12 oz. gun.

VIP Member
    The main advantage is that you can shoot both .357 and .38 loads through the .357. You can test at the range what loads you prefer from low power .38s to full power super hot .357 loads. All of the major manufacturers top end personal defense ammo is low flash. Lastly in a big shtf Katrina type scenario you will have twice as many ammo options to choose in case ammo gets hard to find. Once you buy a 38 you can't go up in power, but if you buy the .357 you can drop down anytime you want too.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Love my SP101...

SnubMan – consider this (and I’m only HALF joking).

You may only carry a 357 in slot number 5 of the cylinder. You know – to sign off with before running for your life cause you’re out of ammo.

But, for me, I think the ability to answer the question is worth the price of admission.

What question?

The question the guys always ask when the subject of concealed carry comes up.

“What are you carrying?”

“Smith and Wesson 357 Magnum.............and you?

I had a S&W 340PD. I got rid of it only because of the internal lock. I just didn't feel comfortable with it even though I didn't personally have any issues.

I have shot .357 mags through it. It was not fun, but tolerable. In a SD situation I was confident that I could get good COM hits at 7 - 10 yards, QUICKLY.

I shot plenty of .38 special and +p loads through it with no problem.

I believe that I paid $649 for mine (NIB) and it had Hi-Viz sights. The 442 is significantly cheaper, I believe $350-$400.

Like others said, if $ is no issue and the IL doesn't bother you, than get the 340. But don't feel outgunned with the 442 or 642 with some Speer GD 135gr +p loads. They are only 3 oz heavier than the 340.

Good luck.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I think that .38 +p is a nice compromise. Plenty of power, healthy kick that doesnt hurt which allows you to carry a nice "lightweight" snubbie like a J frame (not an awesome but HEAVY sp101)

Sorry to come late to the party. Ditto on what has been said about the Ruger SP101, although I would recommend the one with the 3" barrel. I have found that this one gives better control and accuracy and less felt recoil than the 2" model. Also the Winchester 145 grain Silvertips are another controllable load you may want to consider.

I almost responded the other day, and decided not to, but I can't help it - when I look at the information you provide in your post, you've shown very little reason to not get the .357.

I assume when you mention that you shoot .38/.357 equally well, you're talking about shooting it in a snubby.

The only thing you're giving up is that .38 special shot from a .357 revolver will lose a little velocity compared to .38 special being shot out of a .38 revolver. You're gaining ammunition choices, as well as a revolver that's been designed a little stronger to handle magnums. You can cheapen range trips by shooting a combination of .38/.38+P/.357 to save on ammo costs.

My personal experience consists of my 3" SP101 (which I would NOT compare to the gun you're considering, due to length & mass). While I feel the .38+p is a better defensive cartridge due to noise, flash, & maybe(?) overpenetration, I love shooting .357's in it. .357 is just a FUN cart to shoot; it is loud, fiery, and accurate. Perhaps you feel that way about .357 from a snubby; I cannot comment on that as I've never shot a snubby.

This is the first time I've felt compelled enough to use the dancin' banana!

.357, you can choose then what ammo to carry and have the options. easier to have the option then to regret not buying the larger bore later.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Knox View Post
    “What are you carrying?”

“Smith and Wesson 357 Magnum.............and you?
    OK! Now I'm convinced!!

So what's the equivelant of a 642 in 357 Magnum?
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by randy7601 View Post
    OK! Now I'm convinced!!

So what's the equivelant of a 642 in 357 Magnum?

I would get the gun rated for .357 because you know it is built better than a gun rated only for .38 (IMO). Even if you will only shoot .38's, I would get a .357 gun.

For a belly gun I would actually use .357 rounds. You won't know the difference in a fight. Your terminal backstop will.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    .38spl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links