Need advice on a .22

Need advice on a .22

This is a discussion on Need advice on a .22 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to buy a .22 for plinking and inexpensive practise. I'm open to auto pistol or wheel gun. I actually would love a .22 ...

Thread: Need advice on a .22

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar

Need advice on a .22

I'm looking to buy a .22 for plinking and inexpensive practise. I'm open to auto pistol or wheel gun. I actually would love a .22 revolver snubbie but the Smith's are very expensive and Taurus I've read too many negs about. Any thoughts?

VIP Member
    Ruger single six

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Smith&Wesson 22A
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Ditto on the 22A. There may be nicer guns, but for the money (got mine for $150, gently used) they're reliable, accurate, fun, fun, fun.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    I have a Ruger Single Six and it is a fun gun for plinking.

Distinguished Member
    A pocket full of pre-loaded magazines is hard to beat for finishing off that bad to the bone pop can. If reliability is an issue, I would avoid Walther p-22 (is fun to shoot) and a Sig Mosquito--was told a finicky eater

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Look into the Ruger Mark II. They're legendary in reliability. Mine has never failed, and it's a great little gun for plinking and practice. My .02 worth.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    if you're gonna consider the Ruger Mark II or III, you may want to look at the 22/45 bull barrel model. It's real close in feel to a 1911 (which is what the grip was originally designed to simulate), a great shooter, and extremely simple to strip, clean and care for (my opinion). I've seen dozens of Ruger .22 semi-autos between my collection of stuff and many friends, and they have all been 100% right from the box. Personally, I would opt for a used Mark II (if a NIB wasn't available) over a Mark III. I'm NOT a big fan of extra locking devices, or all the extra parts required to install them in a weapon!

I've got a Walther P22. Fun gun to play with. Havn't had any troubles with it and its accurate. I picked mine up for under $300. and i save $1.60 every clip i shoot compared to the 9mm.

Just picked up the Beretta Neos yesterday. Fun little gun. Much less finicky about ammo then some of my previous .22's, plus the European Styling is kind of fun.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Here's an oddball for you... Best plinking pistol I've ever owned is a Hi-Standard "Supermatic".

Check these out:

MODEL B - 22 LR.. - Auction: 8567705 (Ends 04/21/2008, 19:36:26 PST)

High Standard Supermatic Citation .22 L.R.(9424-06 - Auction: 8578533 (Ends 04/21/2008, 17:14:17 PST) (that one is almost identical to mine)

Aside from that, my Dad has a Ruger Mark II that shoots *almost* as well as my Hi-Standard

Happy plinking.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

VIP Member
    I've been quite dissatisfied with my Walther P22. It is a fun gun to shoot, but the original magazines don't hold the rounds well and have a tendency to fall out of the gun-- not stay put. I've been told there is a second generation magazine that solves the problem but haven't gotten around to buying any of the new mags.

Sponsored Links