Taurus 24/7

Taurus 24/7

This is a discussion on Taurus 24/7 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My stepmother is just getting into shooting and was thinking about this firearm. Its the only automatic that she can work the slide on and ...

Thread: Taurus 24/7

Taurus 24/7

My stepmother is just getting into shooting and was thinking about this firearm. Its the only automatic that she can work the slide on and it made me wonder, why is the spring so easily worked in it? Is there anything I should be made aware of with this weapon over others? I am more up for her to go for a revolver, but not if that's not what she wants. I dont want her getting something she doesn't want to shoot as that will just drive her away from the shooting sport and self defense - she needs to be comfortable with it to use it and practice with it.

Also, just wondering if there are any other autos that I should look into that might be easier to work the slide on? Thanks folks, this situation is a little delicate and I am just soliciting more information and opinions to keep from overlooking anything.

the 24/7 is a great gun, it won gun of the year in 2005 from the NRA. One other gun that is really easy to work the slide on is a beretta 92, I would say the beretta is the smoothest gun out of the box. Both would be great weapons, but the 24/7 has a lower price point so you could buy more ammo with it. I have owned both and would say they are both great guns.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

I own a 24/7 in 45 cal. I have found it to be reliable as well as comfortable to shoot and carry. I'm not fond of the Heine sights though.

Ditto, I have a 24/7 Pro C in .40 s&w, great gun.
    The United States Constitution (c)1791. All Rights Reserved.

I ended up selling mine. It was nice out of the box, but the slide really seemed to loosen up from the frame over time. I put a lot of rounds through it though, so if your step-mom isn't going to be throwing huge amounts of ammo down range, it should last her a good long time.

Conversely, my Beretta 92 has more rounds through it, and is in as good a shape as the day I bought it. It might be a little large for step-mom though. My wife doesn't like shooting the Beretta. Her hands don't fit around the grip very well. She actually prefers the 1911, but she has trouble with the slide on that one too.

If she has a different home defense weapon, maybe a shotgun or such, then a lot of the .22 pistols are great to learn on too. Even my little kids can work the slides on just about all the big-name .22's, plus they are a lot more affordable to learn on, and the money saved on ammo while learning, could go towards a really nice gun.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Good info. I appriciate it. I don't think she is going to wear it out by any means, so I figure she's good on that count. She wouldn't be able to hold the 92 though, and my Dad despises them so that one is out ha ha. Anyway, that's what they are looking at, and I just want to make sure its a good investment.

Had a PT24/7 and a PT111 Pro. All good guns.
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

Quote Originally Posted by strider72 View Post
    Had a PT24/7 and a PT111 Pro. All good guns.
    I had both these also. Where great out the box, but after about 500 rounds I had so many problems, I finally traded them in for Glocks. Guess I dont get along with them very well.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

I also had a PT 24/7 Pro .45. I too had so many problems with mine after about 800 rds that I sold it. I also had it out with their customer service on numerous occasions. They lost my barrel that I sent to them for replacement after they signed for it. They stated that they had no record of receiving the barrel and proceded to question my integrity. They will NEVER get my business again.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Administrator
    I've noticed that most of they replies here say they've had the Taurus; thats telling in itself.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Exactly sixto, USED to have
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    yup I USED to own one too....
    so many better choices...at relatively the same price point...
    IMO
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

There's always the Beretta Tomcat with the tilt-up barrel. It's as tiny as a Kel_Tec and in normal circumstnaces, there's no need to work the slide to load it; only to clear a jam. The big compromise is the small .32 caliber.

Sponsored Links