Another Walther Question - Page 2

Another Walther Question

This is a discussion on Another Walther Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody have any luck replacing the bad mags in the p22? That is the only big problem I've heard about both here and outside the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Another Walther Question

Anybody have any luck replacing the bad mags in the p22? That is the only big problem I've heard about both here and outside the box.

Mike

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Mike,

Contact S&W Tech Supt. If you have the older mags, they will replace them for you. S&W's support has been outstanding.

Thanks Lens, I don't own one yet but that is good to know.

Mike

We're seeing a number of these P22s come into the store. Their owners are attempting to trade em in. Unfortunatly, most have the early mags with the guns. We don't usually take em in as trades, and try to get their owners to sell them outright on a private sale, so we don't get stuck. The "A" mag guns, well, we take them in, but not at a very high price though.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Mine may be for sale shortly!

Quote Originally Posted by LPguy
    Lmaooooooooo I couldn't agree with that more. But this is the first time I have heard anybody complain about smiths policies.

Mike
    I really can't say the policy is/was "wrong". However. I like to "teak" my guns, and I was going to have it tefloned in a "girl" color, to hype it a bit for my daughter (13 yo). Took it to a shop that has done my Steyr, BHP, Rem 870, and a couple of friends 1911's. The coater called me back, and really didn't know what to say, but showed me what was left, and said that what he saw conformed to "pot-metal" (alloy of variable composition). My dad was a welder machinist, and I'd seen similar "effects" before, and agreed with him.

Smith told me that I violated the warranty by making a non-factory alteration to the gun. True, no argument. My contention was that I felt grossly mislead by the advertising and pricing. For what I paid, I believed I was getting a T-6 or similar Al, well-made, pistol, not something cut from a billet of Pakistan's Finest Smelted Coca-Cora Cans. (I didn't want $$ back, I just wanted a trade-out for a new frame/slide, and maybe $50 for handling. They "offered" to let me buy a new P22 for the "reduced" price of $250.)Rather than play the customer service game, and fess-up to the fact that they have maybe $50 in parts, maybe $50 in labor/gun, and then a 300% mark up, I was basically told to suck-n-smile.

To me, the bottom line is that you can spend $100+ less, and get the Phoenix Arms .22 package, and know what you're getting, or about the same $$, and have something your grandkids can be using after you're dead, from Ruger. With the mag issues, and what I encountered, I just have no respect for the pistol or the business.

They (P22's) are ok plinkers, but don't spend more than $200.

Rob too bad you don't live in my area. I could show you a long list of Rugers, High Standards, and some other older Smiths (41s etc) The people that come into the store, are usually looking for the older guns, or the Rugers. They seem to hold up well. The last walther P22 that came for a trade, was never unwrapped or shot. This is telling me a great deal about that Walther P22 series. I know our Buyer hasn't purchased any more new Walther p22s for the time being. I'm sure we'll just sell em off, and be done with em.
    Too high price, to too little quality. (well since Smith got their fingers in to the pie)

Assistant Administrator
    Since Rob mentioned the Phoenix HP-22 I'll just comment briefly. I bought one on a whim three years ago as it was so cheap - the version in a case with long and short barrels.

Must say for what it is, it's a fun plinker tho not sure how many 1,000's it'd take before expiring LOL. Only actual prob I had was the mag release - it sorta came un-riveted. I could not be bothered to send it back so did an in house repair, to re peen the bar and button back together - it still survives.

As per the pic - I keep the longer barrel on - it increases accuracy a lot and concealability ain't a factor as it ain't a carry piece!!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have to chime in on this one. Sorry this is my first visit to this forum. I recently purchased a P22 for my girlfriend. I love the thing it is great. With not only her grip but ammo we originally had she had alot of stove pipes. I really didn't have a problem a few jams here and there but not big. I know alot of .22 lr rifles that jam from time to time. Last week at the range she was constently having problems. So what I did was I bought a box of everything for this gun for her and instead of me testing it because my grip doesn't change I had her go through a mag of every different kind.

Green Tag CCI worked the best
    Federal Premium Gold Metal Second
    CCI Velocitor third

No problems with any of these ammo types so the rating is on how she liked them. Being an unbiased source because of not knowing the differences and cost and brands. I know I have pre conceved notions about different types of ammo.

all other types and brands failed.

I do have to say the worst was the CCI Stinger it may be her grip but she had 3 cases out of ten not eject fast enough and they got smashed in the action.

So next weekend when we go out I am getting her a few boxes of Green Tag the wierd thing is it's cheaper at Sportsmens then on the internet.

I have heard people say it's not that acurate. I am not at all very good at shooting I mean with my XD40 service I have 2" max group at 15 yards so not that good at all but I group the P22 just about the same so I know it's me not the gun. We had clays set up at about 50 to 75 yards for the rifles and I was plinking them with the P22 so that is my opinion.

Thanks for listening.

heard it was a mag problem. go the the ruger mk 2 or mk 3.

My p22 runs about anything but the walmart special lead cast rounds. Anything jacketed runs great through it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links