Another Walther Question

Another Walther Question

This is a discussion on Another Walther Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah ok, I'm asking another walther question. It was recently recommended that I get a walther P22 for my wife and kids to use at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Another Walther Question

Another Walther Question

Yeah ok,

I'm asking another walther question.

It was recently recommended that I get a walther P22 for my wife and kids to use at the range. It has that funky interchangeable backstrap and looks like its 9mm counterpart.

This isn't something any of us will use for concealed carry but do any of you guys have any experience with this gun?

Mike

:shuriken:

Administrator

Walther P22

The Walther P22 really took sort of a beating when it first hit the market.
    The gun had a lot of function problems with many types of ammunition....Good News!...it was not the pistols that were defective ~ it was the earlier magazines that were the bummers.
    Make sure that there is an "A" in the magazine serial #s.
    I hope this information helps.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Qk probley hit the fix but my buddie had oen and it had a lot of problems finally dumped it for a Ruger

I've rented one from the local range several times and have used it specifically for introducing people to shooting. I've been thinking of getting one for myself, and probably will right after I pick up a few rifles. I've never had a problem with them and haven't suffered a FTF or FTE yet. (I'm pretty sure I've always used the newer magazines.)

A1C Lickey

Assistant Administrator
    Mike - no first hand experience but feedback has not overall, as I recall - been all that good.

But then QK's mentioned mag issues could have been behind some of that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

QK's right on with this one. Check the Mags for that "A" marking you'll be fine with those

Thanks guys! I'll let you all know how it goes.

Mike

Been seeing a LOT of P22s come in lately. Same issue, mags that may not work, jams a little, etc. Might want to stick with a MkII Ruger

I think we have 5 of them in my family. We have a blast with them. They can be a bit ammo sensitive. find a brand they like and go with it. We have had good luck with the Remington Gold Bullet bulk packs. Also if you are not buying a new one make sure you have the updated magazines.
    Shoot well and be safe

-Don

"The trouble with our liberal friends are not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Long story short: they are made (frame and slide) of pot-metal. Literally what you get from melting down Coke cans and trash-can lids. Long term, the barrel flange will peen the barrel hood, and you won't be in alignment anymore. Refinishing, by default, must be of the "Krylon-special" variety(baking finishes-Teflon, Duracoat, Gunkote, etc- will result in a bubbled, warped frame/slide). I had a major go-round with S&W over service I felt I should receive on a $400 pistol, and ended up eating half of the initial cost and getting a Ruger. I'm no fan of Ruger's policies, but for the price of the P22 "Target(not!)", you can get a stainless MkII, 22/45, or new MkIII.

I will never again do business with Smith; after much arguing, finally being told, "Well, this isn't a top-of-the-line pistol. It's just yer basic starter....." For 4 bills?!?! KMA!!!
    whoppo likes this.

....." For 4 bills?!?! KMA!!!
    Lmaooooooooo I couldn't agree with that more. But this is the first time I have heard anybody complain about smiths policies.

Mike

I have one-

When I got it, I bought 7-8 different packs of different .22 ammo. Mine likes Remington Target ammo, and CCI stingers. That's all. Anything else will jam with varrying consistency. Some every other shot, some every 30 rounds or so. With the Remington, I can say with confidence that I have not had a jam in over 2,000 shots.

It is a great little plinker. Before my 642, I used to carry it as a pocket gun/ coat gun. I love mine.

I also like that it has the same setup as my P99.
    Ex-MA Hole on THR and TFL, too.

I also have a p22 Walther and it's carbine the G22 I like them both for plinking and for trouble some critters . merlin45k

Quote Originally Posted by LPguy
    This isn't something any of us will use for concealed carry but do any of you guys have any experience with this gun?
    Ammo picky in the ones I've fired. So's my Sig Mosquito. Use jacketed or copper-washed ammo.

I'm more partial to the Mosquito for kids and women seem to love it. It's one of my primary training tools for folks and even the big bore people love it.

The P22 is almost too small and it's not a target gun. Think of it as a combat pistol trainer/range toy.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I have a P22, bought it to get my Wife into doing some shooting. Jam-o-matic (tried ~5 different brands/types of ammo) and it has the -A mags! S&W says use CCI Green label ammo, right - $8+ for a box for plinking ammo is ridiculous.

A friend also has one and says that Wal-Mart Remington bulk pack works flawlessly in his. It better, as it the last attempt before selling the gun. Continuous malfunction drills are NOT the way to get a rookie started in shooting, and I find it damn aggravating as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links