45ACP or 9mm For A Kimber Ulta Carry

This is a discussion on 45ACP or 9mm For A Kimber Ulta Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am plan buying a Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II and am inclining toward getting it in 9mm because of my concern about the recoil ...

Thread: 45ACP or 9mm For A Kimber Ulta Carry

I am plan buying a Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II and am inclining toward getting it in 9mm because of my concern about the recoil in 45ACP resulting from the short barrel and light frame. I like to practice with what I carry and don't want my practice sessions to be unpleasant because of the recoil. Do you 1911 fans think, therefore, that I might be better off getting a CDP Compact? Will it have much less recoil because of the 4 inch barrel? There should not be much difference in concealability, correct?

Thanks much for your help on this. I would really like to avoid making what would be a very expensive mistake.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    If you use an IWB holster barrel length does not matter (within reason of course). I feel that a 4" barreled 45 is a joy to shoot. Once you spend a little time with one you will to.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I have two Kimber CDP's...one is an Ultra, the other is the Pro. I prefer the Ultra...
    The Compact has the longer barrel, but the shorter grip...even better for CCW.

I wouldn't trade my Kimber Ultra for anything else. There's no real difference in recoil between my Pro and Ultra (there is a difference, obviously, between 9mm and .45, but the .45 is NOT bad to shoot)...both are more accurate than I am...

OMO, but I think you should go with the Ultra in .45...

Stay armed...can't beat an Ultra...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I am plan buying a Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II and am inclining toward getting it in 9mm because of my concern about the recoil in 45ACP resulting from the short barrel and light frame. I like to practice with what I carry and don't want my practice sessions to be unpleasant because of the recoil. Do you 1911 fans think, therefore, that I might be better off getting a CDP Compact? Will it have much less recoil because of the 4 inch barrel? There should not be much difference in concealability, correct?

Thanks much for your help on this. I would really like to avoid making what would be a very expensive mistake.

Ron

One of my carry guns is a 4" ProCarry Kimber, which has the alloy frame. I find the recoil not objectionable at all with the 4" and lightweight frame of the gun. I've never been a fan of heavy recoil myself and find it has in the past detracted from my accuracy. The little Kimber though is most pleasant to shoot, and I don't have that issue with it. I also own the Kimber Compact with 4" barrel. It is all steel and even better to shoot. The Compact happens to be my favorite handgun of all my collection.

Be advised that 1911's with less than 4" barrels (all makes) have been the subject of a greater number of reliability complaints. The shorter dwell time of the slide means everything has to work in optimum unison to avoid a failure. My recommendation is a minimum 4" on the 1911. Having said that, I do own a Colt Officers ACP with 3.5" barrel that runs great.

Regarding concealability, I find the challenge comes from the grip length and width of the gun. My Kimber Compact is a dream to hide away because of the shorter grip length and lack of thickness in the gun. The 4" barrel is not a factor for me. The gun hides great. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post

Ron
    Hey, why are you still here reading this thread? Get up to the gunshop and get that Ultra in .45...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Hey, why are you still here reading this thread? Get up to the gunshop and get that Ultra in .45...
    Yep, still here. I will be calling you to talk a bit more about the Ultra in .45. I am convinced about getting the gun in .45, but still not sure about whether I should get the CDP in the Ultra or 4 inch barrel Compact model.

I am a bit recoil shy because, although I love my S&W 642 snub nose, it is not the most pleasant gun to practice with.

Talk to you soon. Thanks for all of your help.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

if you're going to spend the money on the kimber get the .45. i shot a 4" .45 before deciding on my carry gun, and the recoil is nothing. it's like putting you palm out and a friend gently shoves back on it. if you use a proper "straight thumbs" grip it all but eliminates felt recoil and allows for pretty fast target acquisition for a follow up.

and i ended up purchasing a springfield xd tactical, full 5" barrel, and it hids just fine in my m-tac. no need to go with a shorter barrel for the sake of concealment. unless you just wear tight pants, the extra inch disappears just as well.

Sponsored Links