.45 Recommendations - Page 2

.45 Recommendations

This is a discussion on .45 Recommendations within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an XD-45 Service. I have carried it concealed, tucked under a dress shirt. It conceals just fine. I have sent it off for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have an XD-45 Service. I have carried it concealed, tucked under a dress shirt. It conceals just fine. I have sent it off for a "grip chop" to make it the size of an XD-45 Compact. That will make it even easier. I tuck in everything, and then with my fingers holding the cuffs of my shirt, I raise both hands high above my head. That's enough slack in my shirt to conceal the XD-45 in Service length grip. With a cover garment, a decent IWB, and it's gone...

If I didn't have the XD-45, I'd likely have a S&W M&P 45. I have the M&P 9c, and like it very much. I carry it much more then my 45, because of the weight.

The Kahr PM-45 is likely the most concealable 45 you can get, that's not just a chopped 1911.

The XD has an ambi mag release.
    The M&P is reversible in like a minute.
    Either can be ordered with an ambi thumb safety, or not.

Unless concealability is a huge issue (as in you need a VERY compact .45) I'd go with the Sig or HK. If price is an issue, as it frequently is, the XD series has a remarkably solid .45. As always, I'd suggest handling some of the suggested guns in person and taking some of the guesswork out of your new purchase.

Good luck!
    People do not lack strength; they lack will. Victor Hugo

PX4 .45 is going for great prices now the hype from their release in December has died down. Can be found for under $450 NIB, all three backstraps and three mags (+ night sights if LEO package).
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

I'd take the Sig.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Kimber CDP ultra carry ambi safety but they're right around a grand. I just traded off my xd compact, it hid very well with the flush 10 round mag, but my hands are to wide for it, great gun for the buck, traded if for a Sig, not DAK or anything like that, and it's really easy to drop back to DA using my left index finger had to practice and figure it out, now its great. My other is a kimber ultra ten but they quit making those. thats my .02
    oh and I'm also a lefty

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I carry a xd and love it and having th high cap makes it great.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

I have owned quite a lot of different brand of firearms, as I am willing to give almost anything a try. But after all my firearm ownership, I prefer the Sig above all others. For me it's better in every category.

BTW, I carry a full size Sig 220R Equinox.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    I haven't actually seen an XD compact or subcompact, but the regular XD looks huge.
    This is the best I can do since we're not neighbors. xd45 service

If the prices were closer, I would go for the Sig hands down
    How much time would it take to raise another $500? Is that ok for your needs? That would be my approach ($.02).

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Ck the M&P45.$540. less the rebate ( $50. + 2 mags ) net cost $404.
    Rebate good till 4/30/08

Product #109306.
    approx 28oz-empty mag
    ambi mag release
    no mag safety
    no internal lock
    no thumb safety
    safety= keep finger off trigger
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    The XD 45 is nowhere near as big as it looks in pictures. Try it out at least.

I have the 4" service model in black. It is one of the most well balanced handguns I have ever had in my hands.

However, the HK 45 was very comfortable and it was definitely smaller and carried a lot fewer rounds. Its also a heck of a lot more money.

whw
    Take a serious look at one of the Para LDA's. You get a thin 1911 frame and light double action trigger. It is a good firearm.

whw

i just bought the xd .45 compact tactical, the model with the shortened grip but the full sized 5" barrel. it looks huge in my hand, but i'm 6'-1", 200 lbs with a 34" waist and it disappears in a comptac m-tac at about 3:00 position under a large t-shirt. here:

You may want to give Sig a call and see if they have a projected release date for the P239 SAS in 45. It was announced at the 2008 shot show and should make an outstanding carry gun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    You may want to give Sig a call and see if they have a projected release date for the P239 SAS in 45. It was announced at the 2008 shot show and should make an outstanding carry gun.

Hoss
    Hoss:

Hope that you aren't holding your breath on this one. There is no such beast, and there won't be in the future. What you read was the result of an over-zealous gun scribe mis-quoting something he heard at SHOT. Sig already makes a compact .45 - The P220 Compact, which is really the old P245 with a beavertail frame.

What is coming soon, and may be worth waiting for, is the .45 version of the P250.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Hoss:

Hope that you aren't holding your breath on this one. There is no such beast, and there won't be in the future. What you read was the result of an over-zealous gun scribe mis-quoting something he heard at SHOT. Sig already makes a compact .45 - The P220 Compact, which is really the old P245 with a beavertail frame.

What is coming soon, and may be worth waiting for, is the .45 version of the P250.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Nope, I wasn't waiting for it as I recently purchased the P239SAS in 40 but it's good to know about the erroneous report. The photo on Gunblast still carries the caption "Sig's new P239SAS compact.45." Wondered why I couldn't find any info on Sig's web site.

Sig does offer the 220 Compact in a SAS model but it still has that awful beavertail. Seems odd to offer a "dehorned" pistol with that beavertail still intact. I have a P245 and like the profile of it much better than the 220 Compact.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links