.45 Recommendations

.45 Recommendations

This is a discussion on .45 Recommendations within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have carried 9mm for some time, but am interested in getting a .45ACP for CCW. I have several specific requirements: 1. I don't like ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .45 Recommendations

.45 Recommendations

I have carried 9mm for some time, but am interested in getting a .45ACP for CCW.
    I have several specific requirements:

1. I don't like Glocks. They are good guns, but its a personal thing.
    2. I don't want SAO. I know its irrational, but "cocked and locked" scares me.
    3. I'm left handed so the location of the safety is an issue.
    4. Barrel length of 4" or less (overall less than 7.5"?).
    5. Its for carry, so thinner is better.

I've found several online that look promising.

a. EAA Witness Compact (metal frame). Has user installable ambidextrous safeties. Very reasonable prices. Safety is not a decocker (somewhat scary). Have never actually seen or handled one. No dealer near me has any.

b. S&W 4513. Have handled 4013 and am told they are the same except for the size of the hole. Felt "FAT" to me. I do like S&W 3rd gen. pistols (I have a 3953).

c. Bersa Thunder 45/Firestorm Mini 45. Has ambidextrous safety/decocker. Comments on forums generally very positive. Have not seen or held one. Uses double stack magazine so may have fat grip. Also magazines appear to be nearly impossible to get.

d. Sig P220 Compact. Handled one at local dealer. Felt very comfortable. Has decocker only on left side (right-hand bias), but seemed like it might be usable by lefty with a little practice. I know Sigs are considered to be top quality, but the price is way higher than I wanted to pay.

e. Ruger P345. Saw this at local dealer, had not heard of it before. In bulk, it felt between the 4513 and the P220. In price (new) it was about halfway between the Witness and the P220.

I would appreciate your input on these weapons or others I may have missed. As always, I may use your advice or feel free to totally ignore it .
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

JD
    Administrator
    Don't forget the following.

XD45 Compact
    S&W M&P 4" 45(PDF)
    HK USP Compact

I'd second the XD. It is considered single action only, but with the safety features, I think it is a great gun to carry.

As for what you have listed. Sig's are wonderful guns, and would always recommend them as a good choice.

The Bersa (Firestorm) is a nice gun for the money. Remember, you get what you pay for, so the fit and finish on the Bersa isn't going to be as nice as some of the other higher end guns. I've shot my friends .45 plenty. He only buys Bersa now, so I get to shoot them a lot. Like I said, for the $$$ its a nice gun, but might not last as long as the S&W or the SIG.

Having said all that, try to find an opportunity to shoot any or all of them, and then make your decision based on what feels the best in your hands.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Try a Kahr! Very good guns!

My EDC is a Kahr CW45. It has 500 flawless round through it now, ball and JHP. I paid about $420 for it locally. It weighs about 21 ounces with an empty mag, is very thin, and has a super sweet DA trigger. No safety to mess with, so it would be lefty friendly. It holds 6+1, and you can get Kahr 7 round mags for spares.

If you don't mind a little weight on your belt, the Springfield XD 45 Compact is a sweet little shooter. It's got an ambi mag release. I've got one of those, too. I carry it occasionally, but it is 29 ounces empty with the 10 round mag. It's easy to conceal, because of the short grip. Still, when it comes to comfort (for me), 21 oz. vs. 29 oz. is an easy choice. I can carry the Kahr with 2 spare 7 round mags and have 21 rounds on tap. I love single stack mags, flat and easy to carry.

Good luck!
    Attached Images
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I carry the Sig P245 (no longer being manufactured) , the only difference that I can see between the P245 and the P220 carry is the bevertail , the P220 has one, the P245 doesn't . I love the P245 , it shoots great, is incredibly reliable , never had a malfunction that wasn't my fault, (when I first got it , I failed to fully insert the mag once). I know Sigs cost more , but I personally think they're well worth the money. I'd go with the P220 carry, just my opinion.

I'm a lefty as well. Consider the HK P2000SK. It's a DA/SA, in 9mm, .40 or .357SIG, with truly ambidextrous controls unlike any other (except perhaps the HK USP line). Replaceable backstrap for smaller/larger hands. Pinkie finger extension on the magazines. Comparatively light and small, at roughly the same size as the Glock 26 9mm. Not exactly thin, but it's not that much different than many others on your list.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

+1 on the Kahr, I love mine in 9mm. But if you want to go with the 1911 platform try the Para Ordnance LDA series. I'm not sure if they have any models that come with an ambi safety or not, but I don't believe it's an expensive mod.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Baby Eagle makes a 45, never shot it myself but i carry the .40 and love it! it has the safety/decocker mounted on the slide on both sides so being a lefty wouldn't hurt. it's sa/da and a really great price for such a great gun. may be a little fat?? it's all relative though! if you can get your hands on one to hold or better yet, shoot, i'd definitely throw that gun in the mix.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

I Think the XD is what I would get if budget was a factor!
    For the money the XD is the best platform out there+capacity!!
    My first choice would be HK45c , there is that price thing.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Of the ones you are considering I'd suggest going with the SIG.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

For those who suggested other calibers, my reason for buying another gun is that I've never owned a .45 and would like to.

I agree that Kahrs are good. I have a CW9 and really like it. I guess I would just like something different.

I haven't actually seen an XD compact or subcompact, but the regular XD looks huge.

The Baby Eagle is essentially the same gun as the EAA Witness (polymer version).

If the prices were closer, I would go for the Sig hands down, but its twice the price of the others and I'm afraid that between the cost of the gun and the divorce, I wouldn't have any money left to buy ammo
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I like my taurus pt145

HK45c

Since you are left handed, I'd recommend the new Heckler and Koch HK45c, which allows for the decocker/safety, slide stop and mag release to be put on the right side of the gun for a left handed shooter. The gun meets all the size and trigger style specifications you mentioned.

The Heckler & Koch HK45 Compact:

The HK45C is available in any one of the 10, HK specific variants, including the double-action and single-action Law Enforcement Modification known as the LEM. Left, right and ambidextrous control levers provide safety and/or de-cocking functions and can be fitted to the pistol by simply changing parts.

A unique, internal mechanical recoil reduction system reduces the recoil forces imparted to the weapon and shooter by as much as 30%, improving shooter control during rapid firing.

The HK45C combines the accuracy, modularity, reliability and extended service life that you have come to expect from a company that prides itself for their “No Compromise” slogan. Both models can be fitted with threaded barrels for use with sound suppressors.

Some of the numerous features of the HK45C:

* Slimline grip profiles - Replaceable grip panels
    * Integrated Picatinny rail molded into the polymer frame dust cover
    * Enlarged ambidextrous magazine levers
    * Improved ergonomic control levers (safety and/or decocking)
    * Low-profile, drift adjustable, 3-dot sight
    * Contoured and radiused slide with forward grasping grooves
    * Ambidextrous slide release Black polymer frame
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

The HK is Over $800.00 .
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links