troubles deciding...

This is a discussion on troubles deciding... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to get another gun, I'm wanting something small. I was thinking about waiting for an LCP or P380, or getting a like a ...

Thread: troubles deciding...

troubles deciding...

I want to get another gun, I'm wanting something small. I was thinking about waiting for an LCP or P380, or getting a like a S&W 442. Not quite sure which, seems like the 442 hurts to shoot, I wonder which is easier to shoot and which is more accurate, 442? or or a small auto?

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Well neither is going to win a 25yd bullseye contest.

Very few guns are inaccurate, some people just shoot different styles better.

I find my Colt Mustangs in .380 to be more fun to shoot, but I grouped better with a S&W 642 that I had for a short time.

But I think that if the chips were down, I think I'd rather have a 642/442 loaded with some good +P rounds than the .380.

Now if I were to compare a 642/442 with say a KelTec P3AT, I'd say that the 642 was more fun to shoot. Although there are some things to make each more enjoyable, I'd take an unmodified 642 over an unmodified P3AT any day of the week.

The bottom line is that small guns are usually harder to control. And which will be more accurate depends on more variables than just the make and model of the gun.

Comment on 442 vs. small auto

In my opinion the small auto is generally easier to shoot well than an airweight .38 revolver like the S&W 442. I have a S&W 642, the stainless version of the 442, and while it is a lightweight, easily concealable gun, it is difficult to shoot well. The trigger pull is about 10 pounds and the sights are minimal. It is difficult to pull the heavy trigger while holding the lightweight gun steady on target. And the gun has a sharp recoil because of its light weight, especially with .38 +P ammo.

I also have a 9mm Kahr MK9, which is about the same size dimensionally but heavier (24 ounces, all steel), and it is very easy to shoot well because it has a smooth DAO trigger of about 7 pounds and excellent sights. It handles 9mm recoil quite well because of the weight.

While the 642 is fine for contact shooting at an attacker right on top of you, the MK9 is far superior if you want to take an aimed shot at some distance.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by porsche4786 View Post
    I want to get another gun, I'm wanting something small. I was thinking about waiting for an LCP or P380, or getting a like a S&W 442. Not quite sure which, seems like the 442 hurts to shoot, I wonder which is easier to shoot and which is more accurate, 442? or or a small auto?
    If your 442 hurts to shoot, try a lighter load for practice...if you are already using a 'light' load, the P-3AT is not going to feel much better...and the P-3AT is NOT A fun gun at the range...

Of the two, I'd go with the S&W...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for the replys, I'm leaning towards a 442. Maybe get a LCP or P380 when the demand goes down.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Have you considered a steel J frame like the 36, 60 or 649? The extra weight tames the recoil.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    Have you considered a steel J frame like the 36, 60 or 649? The extra weight tames the recoil.
    I wanted something that was pretty light to carry so I was looking at the lighter ones. I ended up going to the gun shop today and looked around for quite a while. Finally decided to go with the 642. They didn't stock the 442, and the guy said that the 442 was more prone to rusting on the barrel and on the cylinder since it's steel, unlike the 642 is stainless.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Comparing the KT .380 and a 442 or 642, which I have, the KT P3AT is much more punishing to shoot. It's strength is that it is very small and light, plus holds 7 rounds.
    If I had only one of the two for all types of carry it would be the 642. However, I find anything larger than the KT to large and heavy for front pocket carry. That is not shared by a large number of folks here.

Regards,
    Jerry

i have the 642 and its great to carry...with +P's it isnt great to shoot but not that bad either...my hubby bought it as my first ever handgun with laser grips and all but i liked his 1911 so he took me shopping..i still shoot and carry the snubby and it sleeps beside me every night and goes into my conceal purse when i leave as well as the ccw i have on my person....i think u will love it to carry and shoot both especially with laser grips and get the trigger worked on and it makes a world of difference with the lighter pull

whw
    A large percentage of people that carry guns, have the 642/442 in the rotation on a frequent basis. Go to the Smith and Wesson forum and do a search on the 642 club.

My first purchase of a "small" gun would be a 642. You will carry it when all the others are left at home.

whw

I have a S&W 638 Airweight, I really like it. It's nice to be able to have the option to shoot single action for accuracy at a distance, and still have the hammer shrouded to keep the gun from snagging when drawn from a pocket.
    Attached Images
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Administrator
    It's the age old story of not being able to have your cake and eat it too.
    The lighter a gun is to carry - the more felt recoil it is going to have.
    Ounce per Ounce a semi-auto is going to be easier to shoot because a percentage of the recoil energy is getting eaten up to operate the slide.

Concerning "felt" recoil - much depends on the recoil sensitivity of the individual.
    Proper grip selection really helps tame recoil.
    What IS sharp recoil anyway? And in perspective...How BAD and unbearable is it really?
    The gun kicks and...some kick decently hard but, it's not exactly like you're hacking your fingers off with a machete or anything like that.
    A lot of felt recoil and its perception is more mental than physical.
    Just my personal opinion on that.

If it physically hurts to shoot 50 rounds of HOT ammo then don't. Shoot 25 rounds of HOT and then switch to something milder and more enjoyable to shoot.
    You'll never need to shoot 25 or more Hot-Hot defensive rounds in any SD scenario (I hope) so why worry about it.

Links