I might buy an XD

I might buy an XD

This is a discussion on I might buy an XD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to a gun show today. I will start a few threads later as a few interesting things happened. One thing that I did ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I might buy an XD

I went to a gun show today. I will start a few threads later as a few interesting things happened. One thing that I did while I was there was compare the Glock 23 to the XD-40.

I must say, as much as I love my Glock, that the XD just fit better in my hand. I did a side by side comparison and for all practical purposes, the grip of the guns were the same. Same contours, same width, etc. I am not sure exactly why the XD felt better but it did. I am going to have to find someone who has one and fire it and my Glock at the same time as a comparison.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I had a similar experience to yours when looking for a replacement to a Series 70 Commander that I was retiring after years of loyal service. The XD has the same grip shape as the Browning HP and a very similar grip angle to the 1911s. I brought one home myself.

whw
    The XD always felt better to me than the Glock; however, I still carry a Glock because of the perceived difference in recoil.

That said, I think the XD is a great gun, and a natural "pointer" with several features I wish Glock would adopt. Springfield stands behind their product 100%. You can't go wrong with an XD.

whw

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Ahhhh...... the XD bug has bitten you!

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    XD is a quality gun

Got that bug myself for the same reason. Glocks just don't fit my hand right... the XD does. Shoot what works for ya.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

i just ordered a 45 compact today, and im thinking about ordering a 9mm when i pick up the 45. i shot a 45 and 9 that a friend had and liked the way it shot so i will be broke for awhile

I went with a XD, no regrets at all exept which I had the money for a sub-compact for easier concealment than the service model but not a real big deal. I would recommend it.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I did the same thing. Picked up the XD45 compact and my trusty Glock is now a bedside weapon. I would also have a 9mm if they made a 9mm compact. The compact with a 10 round magazine and a Pearce grip extension feels like it was custom made for my hand.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I love my XD, I got a 40 SC about this time last year and have not regretted it once. I'd let you shoot mine but Oregon to Minnesota would be kind of a long trip just to try out a gun.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

i rented 2 glocks--one in .40 and one in .45--to get a feel for the caliber difference before i bought my xd. i learned two things:

-.45 is the way to go
    -glocks feel like a brick with a trigger and i will never buy one. wouldn't turn down a freebee though ;)

Glock and XD are fine pistols. The differences between XD and Glock are SAO and grip safety on the XD. That said, I think that .40 caliber is a lot of muzzle flip for that gun weight.

I've got an XD tactical 5" in .45 ACP that is terrific. It's my nightstand gun with a TLR2 attached.

I owned a Glock 23 and sold it. I'll pick up a Glock 19 soon -- much better caliber for that size gun IMHO.

Distinguished Member
    I like my XD 9 sc, it's the gun I shoot my best with, I just wish it was a bit thinner. I don't carry it every day, but when I hear that "bump in the night" it is the gun I wish I had on the bed.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Xd

I too had the same problem. And ended up with an Xdsc 9mm. They just fit better in my hand the grip angle was better for me with the Xd. And in my neighborhood was cheaper than the glocks. Good luck with what ever gun you get Im sure one will serve you well. Sixgun

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I've got the 9sc and love it. It is easy to shoot, easy to conceal and the accuracy will amaze you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links