CCW Perfect Packing Handguns & ammo

This is a discussion on CCW Perfect Packing Handguns & ammo within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not a poll, but wondering what the rest of you think makes up the CCWPPH & A. I have chosen three for my carry selection. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW Perfect Packing Handguns & ammo

Not a poll, but wondering what the rest of you think makes up the CCWPPH & A. I have chosen three for my carry selection.
    1. Taurus M85 Ti .38 - pocket carry with Gold Dot 135 gr JHP
    2. Kahr CW9 - IWB warm weather carry with Glaser PrB 100 gr
    3. Kahr K9 - OWB cool weather carry with Glaser PrB 100 gr
    I tried several autos including the small 1911's before settling on the Kahr and shot the 40 and 45 versions beforing decieding on the 9mm. I like the smooth DAO trigger and absence of external safeties.

Looks like good carry options that you can mix and match.

I would always suggest carrying more than one gun so 1 & 2 or 1 & 3. New York reload and gun available to right and left hand. IMHO
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    My opinion. Pick one weapon/carry method and stick with it. Train hard, train frequently. When the emergency happens is not the time to try to sync your reaction to what combo you have at that moment.

Second, a BUG (Back up gun) is not a bad idea. Same observations as above apply.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personally i am not much on gimmick ammo such as glasers
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I use those same weps for the same purpose except for #3 I use a XD9SC.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Decent selection of guns (not my taste though). I would not carry Glasers. IMO, you need maximum penetration with decent expansion with your ammo to be effective. The FBI has done extensive research on this, using actual street shootings.

Read page 11 under "Ammunition selection criteria". They suggest minimum 12" penetration.
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

Good choice of weapons in .38 and 9mm. Bad choice of ammo in 9mm.

Use a good quality JHP in 124 - 147 grain for your 9mm pistols. Gold Dot, Golden Saber, Federal HST, etc. Most 9mm "failures to stop" were because of light weight, super fast 115 grain JHP's expanding too early and not penetrating enough. You don't hear of nearly as many "failures" with today's excellent defensive ammo and good shot placement.

I wouldn't trust my life to Glasers in any caliber. You NEED penetration to reach the vitals and stop an attacker.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

If it works for you, go for it. We all like different things; so, you'll always have a different opinion from everyone.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    Good choice of weapons in .38 and 9mm. Bad choice of ammo in 9mm.

Use a good quality JHP in 124 - 147 grain for your 9mm pistols. Gold Dot, Golden Saber, Federal HST, etc. Most 9mm "failures to stop" were because of light weight, super fast 115 grain JHP's expanding too early and not penetrating enough. You don't hear of nearly as many "failures" with today's excellent defensive ammo and good shot placement.

I wouldn't trust my life to Glasers in any caliber. You NEED penetration to reach the vitals and stop an attacker.
    +1

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I only own one on your list, the Kahr K9, but mine is a great carry gun.
    No complaints here.

Carry whatever you like!

Good choices all, I think some here have your Glaser Powerball 100 grain 9mm confused with the Glaser Safety Slug loaded with small birdshot . The Powerball ammo most certainly will reach the vital organs inside a human torso, and do a better job against automobile glass and heavy clothing than the conventional jhp.

I like the Kahr K9 too, however, I suggest you carry 115 grain Corbon DPX + P in it.

Powerball 100 grain 9mm ammo penetrated 10 3/4" in ballistic gelatin and expanded to .58 caliber. FBI minimum for defensive ammo is 12" of penetration.

Cor-Bon's Pow'rball Loads

You pays your money and you takes your chances. I'll stick with proven technology over lightweight gimmick ammo with poor sectional density and less than ideal penetration.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    Powerball 100 grain 9mm ammo penetrated 10 3/4" in ballistic gelatin and expanded to .58 caliber. FBI minimum for defensive ammo is 12" of penetration.

Cor-Bon's Pow'rball Loads

You pays your money and you takes your chances. I'll stick with proven technology over lightweight gimmick ammo with poor sectional density and less than ideal penetration.
    What you say is true, my main point was that the Powerball load will out penetrate the Glaser Safety Slug and perform better against auto glass and clothing than a normal jhp. However as good as the FBI protocols are, I still believe any load that penetrates 10 3/4" in gelatin is going to strike some vital organ depending on shot placement of course. I also feel that the FBI minimum standard is a cover all bases, worse case scenario in which case you had to shoot a 300lb.+ individual and that anything with less than 12" of penetration could very well not reach a vital organ. Most individuals would probably succumb to the Powerball load. I don't mean to sound like I am being defensive, on the contrary I agree with you, and thats why I carry the Remington Golden Saber Bonded 124 grn. +P - just in case I run into that 350lb. bad guy!

I like the Golden Sabres, the problem is they do not like either of my Kahrs. 10 yrd groups of 5-6 inches were not uncommon. The PrB's delivered 2-3 inch groups. The PrB's expended 100% of the time as well and the GS's did not quite match that performance although they performed better than DPX, Magtech and Gold Dot.
    In summation, they group fairly well and shoot to POA at 30 feet. They expand 100% of the time to almost double their orginal diameter. Penetration may not be all everyone wants, ok I understand the point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links