Ruger LCP Initial Impressions

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP Initial Impressions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up the Ruger LCP yesterday, and have messed around with it a bit now: My initial impressions of it are quite favorable so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP Initial Impressions

Ruger LCP Initial Impressions

I picked up the Ruger LCP yesterday, and have messed around with it a bit now:

My initial impressions of it are quite favorable so far - I've run several magazines of 10 different .380 ACP loads through it, and all fed just fine. I have about 250 rounds through it so far. (Why do I have 10 different types of ammo on-hand, you ask? From trying to get a balky Walther PPK dialed in...)

It's about the same size as a Walther TPH, but lighter, and more powerful. It fits in the pocket just fine, and there are a variety of pocket holsters for it available, either generic "small auto" ones, or custom-made ones. It doesn't need much special, I'm using a DeSantis Nemesis for it, which is just about right for my needs. Most Keltec P3AT holsters should work fine, by some strange coincidence...

The sights are dreadful, bordering upon useless if you attempt to use them in the normal manner. I'm going to put some sort of white paint on the front one, and call it a day, this is not a long-distance weapon.

The trigger is about 8 pounds, has a long revolver-like pull, and has some jerky bits during its travel. The final break is very crisp and clean however. The combination of the primitive sights, the size of the weapon, and the trigger make this very much a close-range weapon for me. By comparison, I can print decent groups at 25 yards with the Walter TPH, Walther PPK, or SIG P232, whereas I was getting 6" groups with the LCP. Some part of this is likely an interaction between it being a new gun, the short sight radius, and my new bifocals :-)

It only comes with one magazine, and they don't seem to be really shipping spare magazines yet in any volume.

By comparison to all the other pocket/mouse guns I experiment with: J-frame, PPK, SIG P232, Walther PPS, Walther TPH, Glock 26 - this one is a quantum level smaller - it hides in your pocket with almost no sign or feeling that it is there. It feels more like having a Spyderco Endura in your pocket than a gun. This is truly a toss-in-your-pocket pistol, and gives you 7 shots of .380 ACP ready to go. The main downside for me compared to the others is that it will not be as useful at longer ranges - the Walther TPH, for instance, I'd be perfectly happy carrying hiking as a kit gun for rabbit/squirrel action, this Ruger is much more limited. It also cannot be fired from within the pocket with nearly as good a result as the J-frame.

The LCP has removed any lingering desire I have to pick up a Seecamp or Rohrbaugh - this is small enough for my deep-concealment desires, costs < $300, and seems very reliable and unfussy so far.

If you need/want something very small and concealable, and can accept a .380 ACP, it's well worth checking this little fellow out.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for posting the review! I'll keep my ears open to what folks are saying about them and maybe in a year or so I'll pick one up if things stay positive and Ruger continues to work through their current issues.

Plan B

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Your review seems to be in line with the other range reports. At least the impressions are consistent.

Thanks for the report. If I could ever find one, I am planning on picking one up. That is after I maybe get that XD.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I called every dealer in a 50 mile radius. Not one of them has even seen one, let alone placed an order. I really have a desire to get one. After the bad go around with a Kel Tech that my Uncle and I had this is the normal progression. I hope to get my hands on one before the end of the year.
    God Bless America!!

I was fortunate to put a good number of rounds thru the LCP even before the SHOT show. I was thoroughly impressed. After about 500 or so, the thing still felt good and was not uncomfortable like my P32 KelTec.

Time to seel the P32 and get the LCP

Let us know what it's like a year from now...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Cannot locate one in my usual places I shop,but I can wait till the frenzy is over...

Good write up. Thanks for the review.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    By comparison, I can print decent groups at 25 yards with the Walter TPH, Walther PPK, or SIG P232, whereas I was getting 6" groups with the LCP.
    I'd say you're doing good if you are getting a 6" group at 25yd with any gun with a 8# trigger and a barrel that short. Certainly not from my 2" J-frame .38. I don't think I could do it even from a rest. 75' is a loong way for that type of gun.

I've been wanting to see one of the little Rugers in person also, sounds like a reliable weapon that can be purchased at a reasonable cost. That's good!!

Jim
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

Good to hear some more opinions on the new pistol.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

I am like the rest - waiting for a dealer in my area to receive a shipment of a truly fine pistol. This little jack-a-doodle just may prove to be one of the best pocket pistols ever!

Thanks for the report and keep us posted will you?

Quote Originally Posted by jbailey View Post
    I'd say you're doing good if you are getting a 6" group at 25yd with any gun with a 8# trigger and a barrel that short. Certainly not from my 2" J-frame .38.

I've found J-frames are capable of quite decent groups at 25 yards, if you cheat by pre-staging the Smith trigger.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    thanks for the review...I am sure one will finds its way to my safe in the near future...
    just like stray cats...I have put out some fresh .380 ammo, and a bowl of clean hoppes...I am sure one will show up.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Ruger works for me

Ditto on most of the observatins posted. I stumbled on to one quite by accident at the Cabela's in neighboring Minnesota, bought it immediately (because I've been on four lists for nearly two months without any encouragement) and have run about five different kinds of ammo through it, including Federal HSTs (?) and GDHPs, which are currently my choice for carry ammo.

Very reliable and very impressive compared to the three KT 380s I've tried to make work over the last 2-3 years. I also got rid of a PF9 to help finance the transition. Now, I'm back to a G26 for cold weather and the Ruger for warm weather. I think a G17 with 19 rounds will work for the car and a G23 with 14 rounds will work for home duties. Can't wait for the regional IDPA shoots to have BUGs for the side matches. I'll probably be there testing the Ruger and the Glocks (in the main match).

After sitting on the sidelines since 2005, I finally joined the IDPA and shot the classified (landed in the Sharpshooter division with some timely advice from a friend who is ranked as a Master) on Saturday. Good fun with about 25 other shooters and great practice with handguns in general and a shotgun side match that revealed some deficiencies in my brand new Rem 870 HD 12 gauge.

Enjoy the Ruger and keep working on proficiency with the primary carry guns. I'll keep shooting the G26 in competition even though I get kicked on the long shots.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links