Anyone else carry a COP?

Anyone else carry a COP?

This is a discussion on Anyone else carry a COP? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I'm going to be in a tight spot, movie theater seat, etc.; I carry my COP rather than my full size 1911. Small 4 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone else carry a COP?

When I'm going to be in a tight spot, movie theater seat, etc.; I carry my COP rather than my full size 1911. Small 4 barrel stainless derringer made in the early 80's. Worthless at 25 yards, but deadly at 10-15 feet. Carry it with 38 Special +P Hydra-Shoks in a COP holster. Small, all rounded edges, very little imprint at all.

Just curious if any other Forum members carry one.

pcctex

Lead Moderator
    Pics?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

1943 - 2009
    This is the C.O.P. (Compact Off-Duty Police) .357 Magnum derringer, no longer produced.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

That looks like an excellent belly gun.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Wow.. that's a neat concept.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    had one years ago , it was a fine " boat anchor " but since it would barely keep all 4 rounds on a b27 target at 10 yards with two of them keyholed i couldnt wait to get rid of it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    ...but since it would barely keep all 4 rounds on a b27 target at 10 yards...
    See, I have to say that I wouldn't consider this a drawback for a gun like that. I wouldn't even bother test firing it at 10 yards. If I could keep the shots center-of-mass at 10 feet, that would be good enough for me.

See, I have to say that I wouldn't consider this a drawback for a gun like that. I wouldn't even bother test firing it at 10 yards. If I could keep the shots center-of-mass at 10 feet, that would be good enough for me.
    Well each of us have different expectations from a defensive handgun .

I tend to keep in mind that each shot fired will strike something or someone downrange ,and i prefer to choose what/whom so i require pretty accurate pistols. 7 yards is 21 ft which is the absolute closest you should allow a threat with a knife before shooting them ( and that counts on some shot placement to be effective ) . 10 yards isnt much of a buffer zone time wise if someone attacks . I know for a fact that under the stress of a gunfight my accuracy goes way down from what it is on the range so i want the most accurate pistol i can have suitable for ccw since i dont want the pistols inhearant/practical accuracy to work any more against me than it has to . Shots that do not hit the attacker are a threat to anyone/anything downrange as well as a threat to yourself since they take time and do nothing to detur the attack .
    The cop is an interesting gun and would be worthwhile to have as a curiosity for a collection i suppose if one were so inclined but it is not a viable defensive firearm for me .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

I remember them. I know they didn't stay in business too long.

Here's a link I found. Sounds like they might be gaining some traction with collectors.

Personally, I can think of a bunch of guns I'd rather trust my life to that have better capacity and about the same footprint.....but honestly, for a last ditch belly gun, it sure looks like it'll do the job. It does have a bit of a neat factor though!

ArniesAirsoft: Marushin COP 357 review

I have one and won't carry it. The trigger sucks. The accuracy may be okay, but it is so difficult to shoot well, I won't carry it. There are just so many better options with more capacity and/or firepower. It is also very heavy for what it has to offer.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

There has been one of these Cops at local pawn shop for quite some time. It always catches my eye (I love oddball stuff anyway) but thankfully hasnt caught my wallet!!

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    So does it take 4 pulls of the trigger to empty the gun or would the BATFE consider that a machine gun (all 4 at once)?

It has a strange rotery hammer/striker that fires each barrel in a clockwise direction iirc . One roughly 22lb pull per shot.

Administrator
    Yep, they are kinda collectible these days.
    Quality control was sporatic on them way back when - some worked well & others had function problems.
    Remember that replacement parts availability will be a real problem if anything ever breaks on it.
    If you have a good one. Take care of it as it will increase in value.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    I always thought that it had a bit of "cool factor" to it.

Sure,there are lighter guns, with better triggers and more capacity and even a smaller package, but those guns dont have the "look" that that one does.

and...
    not everyone has one...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links