Jamming, Colt MK IV Series 80 Officer's

This is a discussion on Jamming, Colt MK IV Series 80 Officer's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I just got back from the range and I have found an issue with my Colt MK IV Series 80 Officer's .45 ACP. It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jamming, Colt MK IV Series 80 Officer's

Well, I just got back from the range and I have found an issue with my Colt MK IV Series 80 Officer's .45 ACP.

It shoots Winchester white box for target flawlessly but the hollow points for defense I get alot of FTF Jams
    What I have tryed so far is:

Federal Personal Defense Ammunition 45 ACP 185 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point ( Jamed, but to be fair this lighter 185 grain also jammed my USP Compact Tactical .45)

Speer Gold Dot Ammunition 45 ACP 230 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point (Jamed)

Federal Premium Personal Defense Ammunition 45 ACP 230 Grain Hydra-Shok Jacketed Hollow Point( Jamed)

I then switched again to a target practice ammo
    Magtech Ammunition 45 ACP 230 Grain Fully Metal Coated Round Nose ( flawless no jams same as the white box from wally world)

Any ideas on a personal defense ammo to try next for such picky colt Officer's?

Thanks
    Craiger
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Sounds like you need to take it to a Gunsmith for a Throating and Ramp Polishing job.

Then check you magazines. The magazines are the weak link of any "bottomfeeder". After that try your defensive loads again for at least 200 Rounds. You shouldn't have any failures. If you do, fix the problem and start over at Round 1.

Good luck, Biker.

I bought a Colt Officer .45 back in 83 and can't remember ever having any FTF or hiccups with it with any type of ammo I fired. Damn fine work horse as side arms go!

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Sounds like you need to take it to a Gunsmith for a Throating and Ramp Polishing job.

Then check you magazines. The magazines are the weak link of any "bottomfeeder". After that try your defensive loads again for at least 200 Rounds. You shouldn't have any failures. If you do, fix the problem and start over at Round 1.

Good luck, Biker.
    Exactly what I'd suggest. Before I went the gunsmith route, I'd try using a metal polish (like Simichrome) to polish the feed ramp and barrel throat. I'd also polish the roof of the barrel. Start with Q-tips, and go to a Dremel tool only if you've got prior experience with polishing gun parts. You don't want to take too much material off.

A set of magazines from Wilson Combat may help; a cheaper alternative would be to order a magazine spring and follower from them for testing.

Good and correct suggestions thus far. One defensive round that you may want to try is the Federal EFMJ - that's Expanding Full Metal Jacket. They make .45's in two bullet weights, a 185 gr and a 200 gr. The 200 gr is a little harder to find, but when you do it is usually in 50 rd boxes as opposed to the 20 rd stuff most of the manufacturers try to foist on you. If your gun feeds the FMJ's well, then this may be a good alternative - but you should still follow the other suggestions, especially with a gun you are staking your life on.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I hate for anyone to got thru all this trouble.....sell it to me for 100 bucks and let the headache be mine.......
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I suggest looking at Corbons Pow'RBall load, also along with the EFMJ already mentioned.

Thanks everyone,
    I just odered a few Wilson Combat officer's mags and I'm dropping the colt off at the gun smith's later today for ramp polishing, I think he said it was already throated previously but he is also looking into that as well. I'm giving him a few 20 round boxes of the ammo I had FTF issues and asking him to tune to work with those if he can if not we will try the other sugestions in this thread.
    So for the next few days I carry my USP-CT that always puts smile on my face anyway

Great sugestions thanks again for your help in pointing me in the right direction, I will let you know how it turns out after my next range day.

Unless you're REALLY experienced and confident with a Dremel, I'd say keep it the heck away from your barrel and frame ramp. SOOO many 1911-type pistols get royally jacked up from armchair throat jobs w/ a Dremel.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Unless you're REALLY experienced and confident with a Dremel, I'd say keep it the heck away from your barrel and frame ramp. SOOO many 1911-type pistols get royally jacked up from armchair throat jobs w/ a Dremel.

-JT
    I thought the same thing (No Dremel for me) My gunsmith over at Windham armorer builds realy nice line of tactical 1911's for LE departments, I trust him do a much better job then I can ever do.

I wouldn't get in such a hurry yet. First, what kinda jam ? Look at your extractor. Make sure it is in tune before you start making permanent changes to the gun.

Check this first...

Extractor Tuning Tips

Check it, tune it, test it then report back.

Nice link Sarge... I bookmarked it. Thanks
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

All is well in the world again

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    Nice link Sarge... I bookmarked it. Thanks

I agree, thanks Sarge.
    Well, it looks like it was mostly the the mags failing me.
    The gunsmith stuck in a nice new Wilson Combat officer's 7 round mag fired great everything we fed it, he polished the ramp and just for good measure we tested again, all is well in the world again

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Craiger

That doesn't surprise me to hear about the magazines causing the FTFs. Seems that when I have had trouble getting a bottom feeder to work properly, 99 times out of a 100 it was always the dadburn magazine.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Glad to hear its up and running now . Especially on the " mini" 1911s think mags first , then move to the next cheapest ( and next most likely imho ) part , an improperly configured/tuned extractor. Most of the mini's are throated from the factory just fine to feed hp , however with less slide mass you have both less inertia and a higher slide speed . This means the action has less ability to overcome little problems ( via less inertia ) and when things go wrong they go wrong faster ( via higher slide speed ) . They can sure be finicky, and even ones that work well can go south suddenly if you are not pretty consistent with cleaning , lube , and spring replacement . At least that is the price i have found on the little ones having owned them since about 81 or 82 when i bought my first one ( a detonics which i no longer own due to the wife taking it from me its her carry gun ).
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links