Looks like it is going to be an XD in 9mm

This is a discussion on Looks like it is going to be an XD in 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really need to win the lottery. Hey I bought a ticket, but until it comes in... I was actively researching the XD40. Then I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like it is going to be an XD in 9mm

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Looks like it is going to be an XD in 9mm

I really need to win the lottery. Hey I bought a ticket, but until it comes in...

I was actively researching the XD40. Then I was thinking, if I am going to get another gun, why not make it a .45. So I did a search on the caliber. What I read was very enlightening.

Seems like there is a whole bunch of you that really prefers the 9mm for a variety of reasons. Some for cost, some for less recoil, some don't feel that there is much ballistic difference in modern ammunition and shot placement is much more important. Therefore with a 9mm's higher capacity and less recoil, one can put more well placed shots in the BG.

I am a small guy so a gun with less recoil is actually an advantage. Not much of a size difference in the XD in .40, .45 or 9mm. Finally since I sometimes do not carry a spare magazine, I would rather have the higher capacity.

So with that all said, I think I am going to get the XD in 9mm.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

EW3
    The XD9 is a really great gun. It was the first one I ever bought and is still my favorite, 8 guns later. I held the Glock 19 and hated how it felt in my hand, then tried the XD9 Service, which is equivilent to the G19, and the XD just felt great.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Thumbs up Good choice

That's my carry gun. Pleasure to shoot and never had a problem with it.

You won't be disappointed, I promise you that. What size are you looking at?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I have the G19, XD40 and put a conversion barrel into the XD40 so it is in essence an XD9 - The jury is still out on which I prefer.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

xd-9

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    The XD9 is a really great gun. It was the first one I ever bought and is still my favorite, 8 guns later. I held the Glock 19 and hated how it felt in my hand, then tried the XD9 Service, which is equivilent to the G19, and the XD just felt great.
    i agree, ialso enjoyed shooting the xd. sorry i traded it in.
    back a few yrs.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I carry an xd9 subcompact daily, and I love every bit of it. Great gun very easy to shoot. On the days that I get bored, I sometimes strap on the good ole 1911 but for me the 9mm works great.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    You won't be disappointed, I promise you that. What size are you looking at?
    When I do things, I kinda go hog wild. It is good I don't have a wife to reign me in sometimes, but if I buy one, I will probably get three. A subcompact for carry, a 4" for HD and a tactical for IPSC matches. (I am also thinking, depending on the election, it may just be harder to get them, so buy now, buy often.)
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I will say you cannot make a wrong choice no matter which XD you get. At the present I have two XD45 Compacts, one each in 4" and 5", and an XD40 Tactical. I have also put a fair amount of ammo thru both a rental XD40SC and XD9SC at the range.

With any luck later this week I'll be adding an XD9 to the group, though it will cost me one of the XD45s. However instead of getting an XD9SC, though I'm getting it primarily for warm weather CCW, I will probably get the XD9 Service and then have Rich at Canyon Creek do a grip chop on it to give me an XD9 Compact. That way I'll have a gun which is easy to conceal but with the longer sight radius for shooting at longer distances at the range. And which won't be quite as expensive to shoot as my 45.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    When I do things, I kinda go hog wild. It is good I don't have a wife to reign me in sometimes, but if I buy one, I will probably get three. A subcompact for carry, a 4" for HD and a tactical for IPSC matches. (I am also thinking, depending on the election, it may just be harder to get them, so buy now, buy often.)
    I have a friend with a family of XDs, and if I hadn't gone Glock earlier in life I'd be there!

The main reason for my post is to second the idea that the XD Tactical 9 is an excellent choice for USPSA Production. By the way, Canyon Creek is the gold standard for XD trigger work for competition.

Enjoy the XD.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

if you're gonna get 3, get at least ONE .45. if your looking to shoot matches, i'd get the tactical in 9mm (cheaper for all that practice), and i'd probably get the SC in 9mm as well, just because the higher bore axis on the xd may make the .40 in such a small package a little punchy if you're susceptible to recoil. but get the 4" in .45--you'll love it. there's really very little perceived recoil in my 5" .45, i couldn't imagine a 4" being very bad at all.

XD9sc

I have two XDs. My first was a 4" Service model, and later I bought a XD9sc with factory night sights. While I carry and really like the XD9sc I think you are right in thinking that a chopped grip Service model will make the perfect carry pistol. I thought for several years that Springfield would produce such a model. That feeling was reinforced when a friend let me shoot his new XD45 compact. That pistol fit my hand better than the sub-compact and did not need a Pierce extension. Good thinking in my opinion. Please let us know how this works out for you.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

My carry gun is an XD 9 SC. Three reasons I chose it are (1) the higher capacity magazine (10+1 instead of 7 +1in a 1911) , (2) cheaper ammo = more range time, and (3) the wife can handle the recoil better than a .45. When I'm not carrying, my XD lives in a Gun Vault, and she can get to it as quickly as I can should the proverbial fecal-matter strike the whirling wind device...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

I used to shoot .45s and .40s and even .44 magnums. I broke my wrist years ago in a traffic accident and now in my late forties, Arthur Itis visits me frequently. Switching to 9mm now makes shooting sessions pleasant once more and even more economical to boot.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I use an xd9 for alot of different shoot, and really like it....i find it hard to conceal, but love the 17 round capacity and the excellent point and shoot ability
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links