XD vs 1911 for Carry

XD vs 1911 for Carry

This is a discussion on XD vs 1911 for Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My OCD is kicking in, and I only have about 7 handguns, so it's time to start looking. I have two 1911 full size guns, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XD vs 1911 for Carry

XD vs 1911 for Carry

My OCD is kicking in, and I only have about 7 handguns, so it's time to start looking. I have two 1911 full size guns, and love them, but I must admit that they're a bit cumbersome to conceal full time. I've heard so much about the XD that I've started to look at them for a CCW.

Problem is, I can't find any information on the WIDTH of the gun. I can see why Springfield wouldn't post that info if it's not flattering, but I don't see anything about it when I Google it or search forums. The 1911 is 1.28 inches wide, if memory serves. Anyone know how wide the XD is (both .45 and .40)?

Also, seems that from perusing the Springfield site, there is no such animal as a 3" XD in .45, right? Saw up to a .40 in 3", then it's 4" or 5" only from what I could gather. Seems that the low cap magazine would conceal better on all models of XD, but would solicit user experience on that.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    I have a 1911 New Agent which is essentially a 1911 with a trench site instead of sights that stick up for a carry. The CT laser is the widest part, it has an officers grip with a 3in barrel. I usually keep it in the wallet pocket of my cargo pants with a piece of plastic outside of it. I keep the hook side of velcro against the pocket so the plastic doesn't move when I grab the gun. Works prettry well, gives me a trusty 1911 with the obligatory Stopping Power in a small enough weapon to conceal. By the way it "Seems" to have less kick than full grown 1911's I have used. I also have a 2 x single stack mag pouch that looks like a wallet in my left back pocket. :) The most anyone has ever asked is why do I have 2 wallets. I tell them "It is in case someone tries to steal the first one." :)
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Slabsides45 View Post
    My OCD is kicking in, and I only have about 7 handguns, so it's time to start looking. I have two 1911 full size guns, and love them, but I must admit that they're a bit cumbersome to conceal full time. I've heard so much about the XD that I've started to look at them for a CCW.

Problem is, I can't find any information on the WIDTH of the gun. I can see why Springfield wouldn't post that info if it's not flattering, but I don't see anything about it when I Google it or search forums. The 1911 is 1.28 inches wide, if memory serves. Anyone know how wide the XD is (both .45 and .40)?

Also, seems that from perusing the Springfield site, there is no such animal as a 3" XD in .45, right? Saw up to a .40 in 3", then it's 4" or 5" only from what I could gather. Seems that the low cap magazine would conceal better on all models of XD, but would solicit user experience on that.

I have 1911's and XD45 Service and prefer to carry the 1911. The weight is about the same being the XD holds 13+1 and my 1911's hold 7+1. For CCW the XD's width and grip length make it hard to conceal. I prefer to carry a 1911 and with the right belt and holster combination I find it easy to carry and conceal.
    Vic
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II
    Kimber Custom II
    Glock 23, Sig Sauer P225, Kel-Tec PF-9
    Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. SUN TZU THE ART OF WAR

I'd like to have a smaller carry. Have a RIA already (Tactical 5") that I've had great luck with, so maybe I'll see about one of their Commander size-what is that, 4"? Anyone tried one of these?

I Have shot the 4" .45 XD quite a bit.I Don't own one but it's about the same width as my USPc which is my EDC. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a VMII and you can conceal anything with a holster that good!
    I'm getting some trigger time with my Kimber,but haven't carried it yet.
    I'm use to thick guns, the platform and capacity has put the XD .45 close to the top of my want list!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thin profile

I believe that the width of a CCW gun is one of the most important factors in easy concealment. It is hard to beat a 1911 in the width category, especially if you use "thinline" grip panels like those that come stock on the Colt New Agent. A typical 1911 has a slide that is 0.90 inches thick from flat to flat, and with thin grip panels the grip will be about 1.02 inches at the thickest point. So it is very easy to conceal a 1911 inside the waistband and have it lie very flat against your side.

Most polymer frame guns, like the Springfield XD or corresponding Glocks, H&Ks, etc. have thicker slides and grips than a 1911, ranging from 1.0 to 1.25 inches thick. The typical double stack magazine on these guns makes the grip thickness significant, even though there are no separate grip panels screwed onto the gun.

So if best concealment is a factor for you, the 1911 has a lot going for it. Of course, it doesn't have the ammo capacity of some of the more modern designs, if that matters to you.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

ree
    Slide width on an XD 45 is 1.22 (the 9/40 are about 1.20").

I've got the 4" compact model and carry with the 10-round mag and it conceals fine. Pretty much every holster I've tried does a good job pulling the butt in tight.

The slide length isn't an issue for me to carry. Even if the 45 came in a 3" sub-compact model, I'd stick with the 4" model.

The only challenge with concealing an XD will be the blocky rear corners of the slide. Since the slide is rectangular, it'll poke out a little into your cover garment pretty much wherever you wear your gun. The 1911 has it beat in this respect.

I have a kimber 1911 5" and a XD service .40 and I love them both, but I am having problems adapting my grip back to the XD - my thumb finds no place to rest! lol More range time I guess... Just thought I would point that out.

They both conceal pretty well, but the 1911 has the XD beat IMO.

So, is there any significant difference in the .45 XD and the .40 or 9mm? I really like my .45 bullets, just sold on them, I suppose. Stuck in my ways...maybe.

My calipers say the slide on my Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 is 0.910" thick. Thickest part is where the safety sticks out of the frame, which measures 1.120".

I've shot XD's at the range before and I like they way they shoot, and the lighter weight would certainly be an advantage - but nobody's going to claim that it's thinner or less bulky than a 1911 - it's not.

Have you tried a lightweight Officer's model 1911? That could be the answer to your problem...

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

You might want to look at the CCO version of the 1911. I have a 1911 CCO - Concealed Carry Officers model. Its a Commander 4 1/4" barrel/slide with the shorter officers frame. So I have the single stack width of a 1911 with a shorter grip. The magazine holds seven rounds and because of the shorter length of the grip it conceals very well. Colt made a Gunsite CCO thats a nice shooter. I have one thats built by Cylinder and Slide. These are harder to find 1911's but IMHO worth it. Weight wise they are still on the heavy side. Mine with the steel frame weighs in at 31 oz. With my Sparks VMII I can carry it comfortably all day.

I have a RIA 1911 compact I carry as my primary,It's accurate and concealable 3 1/2" barrel and 7 round mags
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I alternate carry between a Kimber 4in with Aluminum frame and an XD9 sub-compact depending on what I'm wearing. Both conceal fine for me. The big deal is the the 1911's max width is just in the middle of the butt, the blockier XD has same width pretty much the whole length of the butt. Don't have the numbers, but the 1911 is also slimmer in the slide. That all makes the 1911 seem skinnier.

Been looking tonight, mostly at Kimber's Ultra lines, as I've been well pleased by my current 5" CDP II. Just don't wanna part with 1K for the 3" size right now, so looking at all options. Any suggested 1911's y'all own with the 3" barrel?

got my xd .45 and a tape measure in my hand right now, and i'm looking at about 1 and 1/8" at the fattest part of the slide. mine hides just fine in a comptac m-tac, or at least it will once i replace those damn c-clips with the slimmer standard c-tac clips, and i've got the compact tactical model--shortened grip with full 5" barrel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links