Defensive Carry banner

Speed Strips vs Speed Loaders

9K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  bluelineman 
#1 ·
So I am looking at getting a revolver, right now I am leaning towards a Ruger SP101. I have never owned a revolver before and am not sure which would be more efficient/practical for reload. I know what a speed loader is and how it works. I am not sure what you do with a speed strip though. To me they just look like a rubber strip that holds shells, but I could be very wrong about that. Any input is appreciated.

#3 ·
I am waiting for my permit to come in, then I will be purchasing a J frame smith. I have performed drills with both, and actually prefer the speed strip. If you open the cylinder and slide your right hand through the frame where the cylinder, used to be; then use your left hand to insert two bullets at a time into the cylinder. Pull the strip away from the brass, rotate cylinder with your right hand, and repeat. Tried finding a video, but no luck so far.

#4 ·
Many more years ago than I care to admit, I was a Deputy Sheriff in WI using a revolver. I tried both speed strips and speedloaders. I found both to be slower than using belt loops and pulling and inserting two rounds at a time with my right hand (I'm left-handed). YMMV!

#5 ·
To me they just look like a rubber strip that holds shells, but I could be very wrong about that. Any input is appreciated.
You're about right. Speedstrips hold all 6 rounds and are a pretty convenient, comfortable way to keep them together. Not all that speedy to reload though......at least not in my inexpert hands.

A speedloader OTOH, with a little practice, is very quick to reload, but bulkier to carry.

As with most things in life, each represents a compromise and you need to decide which is more important to you. Where I to carry a wheelgun more often, I'd carry a speedstrip. For me, the convenience factor out-weighs the likelihood that my life would ever depend on a couple of seconds difference in reload time. But heck, I don't even carry a 2d mag for the K9 all that often.......so you may feel differently.

#6 ·
I have been carrying a speed loader,lol, and I found I have to carry my keys on my belt. Lol, otherwise when you pull your keys out of your pocket, your speed loader goes flying....get some weird looks that way!

#7 ·
Speedloaders occassionaly find a place in the car, but speed strips are always in the pocket. The speedstrips are much easier to carry.

I load 2 rounds on one end, and 3 rounds on the other end, leaving a space in the middle. When loading the smaller j frame, I find it easier to have the space in the middle - the strip end does not jam into the frame that way. Your experience may vary.

#9 ·
This is a frequently asked question around here.

You should acquaint yourself with the :search: tool.

Use these parameters, for starters.

Bianchi speed strips.

Speed strips.

Speed loaders.

#10 ·
Speed strips are sure easier to carry

I have both speedloaders and speed strips for the 3 snubby revolvers I have used for carry. I agree with those above who say the speedloader is faster but bulky and hard to carry. If you practice, however, the speed strip is not bad for reloading if you do two rounds at a time.

But I would not want to be standing in the open with somebody shooting at me while using either one of these devices. You would be a sitting duck for the several seconds it would take to reload. I think that once you empty your 5 or 6 shot revolver and the fight is still going on, you had better find some good cover before starting your reload with a speedloader or speedstrip.

#12 ·
If you practic with speed strips, they aren't a whole lot slower than a speed loader...I often find the speed loader will hang up at times anyway and not drop the rounds cleanly...with 2 on one end and 3 on the other, and some practice, you'd be surprised how good you can get with the strip...of course, like others have said, if you have time to reload a snubbie, you could be running...I cut the soft tab off the end, without it, it fits in my watch pocket without showing...

#16 ·
I use both.

For my "Primary" I carry two Speedloaders. For my BUG I carry one Speed-Strip and one Speedloader. I don't find them difficult to carry.

The Speedloader is faster, but the Speed-Strip allows me to "top off" when I've only shot a couple of rounds and need to get my gun back up and running with a full load.

Biker :urla9ub:

#17 ·
I found an old cell phone holder I was no longer using that holds my speed loader as though it were made for it. Snaps unto my belt and no one can tell that it is not a cell phone in it.

Ron

#21 ·
I looked at Bianchi's website a while ago. The only offer the speed strips in 357/38 & only in 6 shot configuration. I have not been able to find anyone else that makes them. Hey, 6 shots outta 7 ain't bad.
Not to "derail" the thread, but I only load my Speed Strip with five rounds. Two, none, three. This makes gripping it when you are shaking and sweating much easier.

Biker :urla9ub:

#22 ·
+1 for what Biker said!

#23 ·
I use both in different situation. Speed loaders are faster to use but are a bit bulky...Bianchi speed strips conceal great but may take you more time to reload....
Most of the time in a defensive situation, you will not need to reload anyway, but nice piece of mind to have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.