XD Finger Bite?

This is a discussion on XD Finger Bite? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't own, nor do I want a Springer XD, but I like most things about them. They're cheap. You can shoot lead and they're ...

Thread: XD Finger Bite?

XD Finger Bite?

I don't own, nor do I want a Springer XD, but I like most things about them. They're cheap. You can shoot lead and they're are relatively accurate. The ergonomics are, IMO, better than a Grock. Other than being too fat for me to conceal, the only thing I don't like is the finger bite I get from the trigger safety. For some reason, after I shoot <20rds through one, my trigger finger gets real sore; to the point of putting the gun down, or handing it back. Several others in my shooting crew have complained about this, but some owners do not. IME, it is endemic and not caliber, or model specific.

What's the consensus?
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

2. Remove Ads

It seems to be owner specific. For those with that problem, you can take a fine file, and file the trigger safety to fit flush into the trigger. This seems to cure most peoples problem. Another option is to install a slightly weaker spring into the trigger.

Also, there are several trigger kits...springerprecision makes a good one that will lessen the take up and over travel. You can also get the trigger to break at about 4.5# which seems to help, also.

It seems the problem of the trigger safety with certain owners gets compounded by a few things:

Too much finger on the trigger or in-proper grip.

The relatively long trigger pull and the fact that the trigger does not pull straight back, but has a slight arc/pendulum motion to it, causes the amount of finger on the trigger to vary, and can sometimes lead to a 'trigger bite'.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

no problems here. Up to 200 rounds at a time.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    no problems here. Up to 200 rounds at a time.
    Ditto
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    It seems to be owner specific. For those with that problem, you can take a fine file, and file the trigger safety to fit flush into the trigger. This seems to cure most peoples problem. Another option is to install a slightly weaker spring into the trigger.

Also, there are several trigger kits...springerprecision makes a good one that will lessen the take up and over travel. You can also get the trigger to break at about 4.5# which seems to help, also.

It seems the problem of the trigger safety with certain owners gets compounded by a few things:

Too much finger on the trigger or in-proper grip.

The relatively long trigger pull and the fact that the trigger does not pull straight back, but has a slight arc/pendulum motion to it, causes the amount of finger on the trigger to vary, and can sometimes lead to a 'trigger bite'.
    I've heard these mods discussed, and in at least one case, it did seem to mitigate the bite somewhat.

I can't speak for others, but my experiences are neither finger purchase, or grip related. I shoot mostly SA 1911s and so use more of the tip of my trigger finger. On DA, or safe action triggers, I reach in a little more, but never beyond the cuticle of the fingernail.
    The arc of the trigger and it's seemingly short OAL seem to have much to do with the problem I experience.

Good info, thanks.

Proud to be an infidel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Ping View Post
    I don't own, nor do I want a Springer XD, but I like most things about them. They're cheap. . . . . Other than being too fat for me to conceal, the only thing I don't like is the finger bite I get from the trigger safety. . . . What's the consensus?
    Finger bite? It has never crossed my mind when shooting my XD. Have I been missing something?

Cheap? That is a very relative term. The XD and Glock are close to the same price, but have a similar trigger mechanism. The XD may be cheap when compared to some higher end Kimbers or higher end Springfield 1911's, and usually have a different trigger mechanism. When compared to Ruger (also a fine pistol which I own), they are expensive, and when compared to Hi-Point (I also own one and it shoots), they are very expensive.

Isn't the quality of the firearm what counts and not what it costs? If the XD is biting you, you probably can trade it with some else for an equivalent quality pistol where you will not feel a bite.

OR you can pay less and get the Ruger P Series which is double action and does not have the same trigger mechanism for a bite. Likewise for a Sig for which you are not likely to find cheap (will probably get one of those also).

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Ping View Post
    For some reason, after I shoot <20rds through one, my trigger finger gets real sore; to the point of putting the gun down, or handing it back. Several others in my shooting crew have complained about this, but some owners do not. IME, it is endemic and not caliber, or model specific.

What's the consensus?
    I am a recent 40 cal subcompact addict that suffers that unkind bite myself. I have tried repositioning my trigger finger, going less deep, however, I find that a little problematic. I suspect I will massage a little metal off the trigger safety, (which makes me immeasurably nervous) and might consider a trigger job, but for a carry piece, I like the long throw and relatively stiff pull.

I posted a similar question several days ago and found similar responses.

I have run several hundred more rounds through the new toy and I still find that, after repetitive shots, my finger migrates down into the teeth of the beast and gets bit. Ouch.

A work in process, and I will post my progress if you show me yours

Mark

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I have never experienced this finger bite that you speak of...I own two XD's with thousands of rounds through each...no bites...
    maybe it is because I didn't purchase the 'cheap' gun...just kidding
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Ya... I had that also. After 200 rounds I sent it to Springer. I said if it didnt come back comfortable I was going to sell it. Unfortunitly I also invested in a set of Meprolight sights. So now a $500 gun is almost a $900 gun. Good thing I like it now. I also had them smooth out the trigger face. Springer will fix you right up. Only thing I did not care for is the shipping. There and back was almost $100. Next day shipping is required. Other than that the new trigger, high capacity, ultra reliablity and night sights make this a sure keeper. Gotta pay to play as my son says. Money well spent. Good people out at Springer also.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

I've never had finger bite. Just fired 100 rounds on Sunday. Probably close to 2,000 rounds in all.

Also it conceals well with my UBG IWB holster. I have the standard not a tactical nor a subcompact. I know the cheap ,store bought holsters I have did not conceal for cra p but it does quite well with the UBG even under just a T-Shirt.

Never noticed it when I bought my 40SC, but after shooting my 1911 almost exclusively for months and going back to the 40SC and shooting +P, I have to say I did notice a "tiny" amount of bite. Nothing to write home about, but I did feel it.

Thanks for all the experienced responses, guys. It seems that a slight majority knows of whence I speak. I too, have tried elevating my finger position on the trigger, but that only seems to make the trigger press less sure and less predictable. It seems that some work on the trigger pad is in order on these pistols. This would be good feedback for Springfield, as it seems clear that they are completely committed to the platform.

As to whether they are concealable for you, or not, I really don't care. As to whether you are comfortable with the platform, generally, is irrelevant to this thread; since, as I stated, I don't own one and don't want to.

"Cheap," is indeed relative. To me, a handgun costing <$1k, is cheap (inexpensive). YMMV. But, this is also irrelevant.

I am just looking for ways to enjoy shooting a very good, and very popular gun. Many of my students have already chosen them, so I need to find a way to both guide them and tolerate the platform.

Thanks again for your experienced and thoughtful insights.

Proud to be an infidel.

i've had no issues with mine. i guess i can see how it would "bite" if you used more than the pad of your finger tip to pull the trigger, but then you'd be doin' it wrong ;)

I have never had trigger bite with my xd9 nor has anybody else that has fired it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links