The H&K USP -- any caliber

This is a discussion on The H&K USP -- any caliber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay guys, here's another question I got for ya. I hear a lot about the Heckler and Koch USP pistol, whether it be in 9mm, ...

Thread: The H&K USP -- any caliber

Okay guys, here's another question I got for ya. I hear a lot about the Heckler and Koch USP pistol, whether it be in 9mm, 40 cal, or .45 ACP. Reliability is supposed to be the best of the best with them, but some people say that they are way too large for normal, comfortable carry. Is this true? What kind of rig do you carry it in? Once again, feel free to post pics!

I don't own or carry one, but I did get to see and handle and do everything with the .45 ACP version except shoot it. The owner let me dry fire it even. You could carry that in the right holster. It's not that big really. I was impressed; it's a heck of a gun. I couldn't see paying the $1200 he did for it, but I was impressed.

i only paid 800$ for mine so about what a good 1911 cost as im a large fellow i have no porblems carrying it .. one problem you will have is finding a good iwb holster for it Gary Brommland makes one for it though i have yet to order one been packing 1911 instead

Assistant Administrator
    We have some USP owners here and they'll chip in I am sure.

While A USP is not a SIG - they do have some size similarities and I carry daily 16/7 my SIG 226ST - which I choose to be 9mm (tho I could easily have gone the .357SIG/.40 route).

It is in essence a ''full size'' and quite heavy, the ST particularly but with the right rig and cover garment - zero problem - and the weight is easily gotten used to.

I now also have a SIG 220 (.45 acp) which may see carry duty - not quite so heavy but same overall size - again very manageable and not so very different from a USP.

I would say - to about anyone - carry the largest gun you can handle, conceal, and shoot well with. I am not a fan of small pieces for primary carry - that's just me.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I have a USP in .40 . Carry in a Strong 3 slot pancake holster. This is my fall/ winter carry gun. Yes, it is big to CC for summers. It can be done, but due to the size , it isn't comfortable to me IWB. Reliablity is great, had mine since '92. Recoil is mild due to the captured spring in the guide rod. Accuracy is good for a combat gun. The rail sysytem sucks as it is not 1913 spec,as most other guns and almost all light/ laser mounts are. Perhaps the P 2000 might be a better choice for CC. I am considering 1 myself.

Senior Moderator
    I bought a USP 9mm some time ago and it has become one of my favorite guns.

It's already been mentioned about recoil, reliability and accuracy, and I concur. So I thought I'd mention a couple of other things.

If you get the standard trig. configuration, DA/SA, you can carry it C&L or with the hammer down. You can engage the safety first, and then do a press check. You can engage the safety first and then cock the hammer.

One thing that I noticed about the USP 9mm is that it has a little lighter recoil spring than most 9mms. That doesn't mean a lot, but it does mean you can do a one-hand press check without pressing the slide against anything and in fact I can actually rack the slide with one hand and charge the chamber - reliably. Of course that's not too important unless you only have one hand to work with, but it is a nice option.

I really, really like the unique ambi mag release. I like it much better that the thumb push button release. I generally operate it with my trigger finger.

It is a bit wide for me to carry IWB, but so is a Glock. Speaking of Glocks, the full size USP weighs just a bit over one ounce more than a G-17 so it carries light.

I have no trouble carrying it year round in an OWB holster and a tee with light vest in the summer and a jacket, etc. for cooler weather. It is almost exactly the same dimensions as a Sig 226, but maybe a 1/16" wider.

I also have the P2000 and I like it, it's got the same mag release, is a smaller more ergonomic gun, but mine is a LEM version so it's kinda hard to compare my USP to the P2000. But, I do like the safety options on the DA/SA and the way the trigger works. The LEM is a bit heavy on the trigger break and the my USP has a heavy DA trigger and a great SA trigger.

The full-sized 9mm was "too big" for me to "feel" comfortable with, but shooting.......well, the recoil system made it very cap-gunnish-controllable . Great shooter! If I were doing it again, I would go with the (IIRC) Variant 9-C&L only-, Compact, in 9mm

I like the looks of the p-2000 just wish it came in 45 them i might actually try the lem trigger i keep flip flopping back and forth on the Lem but it is intersting..

Lets see the Carry rigs everyone uses for there Hk I want soemthingother than the don hume and g-code i have

I have a USP Compact in 40 Cal. I bought it used and it works flawlessly. If you're looking for one, I would suggest getting the variant 1 system, as it can be carried 'cocked and locked" as the 1911 series 45s or you can use the same lever to de-cock the weapon. It usually carries a 12+i mag in 40 S&W. The 9mm is a bit higher capasity. the 45 USP is a slightly lower capacity.
    The domentions on the USP Compat are exactly the same, no matter what the caliber. Hope this helps you

Get the 45!! I love mine. The best gun I have ever owned. Do what Class3 said, gett he Variant 1.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    I have the USPc in .40S&W. It's the same size as the 9mm compact. The .45 compact is a little bit bigger then the .40 and 9mm.

I've often looked at my USPc and thought that I could definately conceal it with the right rig and clothing choices.

All in all, minus the fact that apparently my front site is too high, I love my USPc.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I own the USPc in .40 and .45. Love the guns, but the triggers are terrible. There are a few sources of trigger jobs for the Compact models that are worth looking into.

I carried my USPc .40 for a few years, but due to the trigger issue (I'll eventually have that modified) I'm now carrying a S&W 1911.

I bought a USP fullsize in .45. It's no relatively bigger than any other full-size service gun. If you can conceal one, you can conceal another.

That said, I got it as a range toy and to have a representative USP in the house for the collection of evil autos.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I have the USP 45.I got it because of capacity and function.I knew others who have them and knew it was one I had to have.it is a fattie to carry and at the moment I use a fobus or a SOB when not in an auto,I would like to try something different,but just for a change.it is my favorite carry. my walther p99 is my favorite small size carry.the USP is well worth the price ($750max)it is well made and trustworthy of CCW.

Sponsored Links