Based on my thoughts, which Seecamp would you Buy and Why?

This is a discussion on Based on my thoughts, which Seecamp would you Buy and Why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am struggling with the decision on which Seecamp model to purchase, the .32 or .380. I have read similar threads and weighed the pros/cons ...

View Poll Results: Based on my thoughts, which Seecamp would you buy?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seecamp .32 acp

5 16.13%
  • Seecamp .380 acp

26 83.87%

Thread: Based on my thoughts, which Seecamp would you Buy and Why?

Based on my thoughts, which Seecamp would you Buy and Why?

I am struggling with the decision on which Seecamp model to purchase, the .32 or .380. I have read similar threads and weighed the pros/cons of each model but still seem to be indecisive. Obviously there are other important factors like Price and Wait Time, but I am not concerned with those at this point. Here are my thoughts.

The .32acp
    PRO - Lower recoil & therefore probably more accurate & quicker follow up shots as opposed to the .380.
    CON - Why would I carry a .32 as a CCW, knowing that I could carry a .380 at no additional increase in terms of size or weight?[/B]

The .380acp
    PRO - A larger caliber and possibly a more effective SD round in a gun the exact same size.
    CON - The recoil is harsh but is it severe enough to negatively effect follow up shots by making them slower and less accurate??

Regardless of which I choose, the decision is soley based on the fact that If I ever were to use the gun, it would be a last resort, very close proximity situation. Keeping the distance in mind, here is the dilema?

On one hand I feel that at such a close distance, the .32 would be sufficient. Point blank range has to up the anty in terms of stopping power and the fact that I will unload the gun if possible.

On the other hand, why on earth would I carry the .32, when I can have the .380 at the exact size and weight ad no of rounds? Why not give yourself any extra advantage possible since it would be a life or death situation?

Obvioulsy, I want to the most effective option, and I don't care if its the .32 or the .380, I am just trying to make an educated decision.

Based on that information, which model would you pick and why. Thanks for helping!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'd buy the 32 as they are less expensive and easier to find and the only pro to the 380 is less than debatable.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just as you said, why would you carry a .32 when you can a .380. IMHO the .380 is the LEAST I will carry for PD. And at point blank range as you state, one doesn't have to worry about sight re-alignment time, no such thing. Just point and keep pulling.

bae
    I'd get the Ruger LCP in .380.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd buy the 32 as they are less expensive and easier to find and the only pro to the 380 is less than debatable.
    +1, I'm not positive but I think you get an extra round to boot.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I would buy a .32 they are half the price of a .380. The wait for a .32 is far less.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    +1, I'm not positive but I think you get an extra round to boot.
    Magazine capacity is the same, 6+1.
    L.W. Seecamp Co. - Products

I carry a LWS32, an old one that has become trusted and I'm very comfortable with it. If I were looking to replace it, or buying for the first time I'd probably want the .380. Having said that, I also think the .32 is perfectly adequate for the intended purpose of this gun.

My suggestion to you is that you purchase the .32 now and find out if the Seecamp is what you really want. They are relatively easy to sell if you don't. If you like the .32 then you can put a deposit on the .380 and start saving during the year it will take to get one.

I voted .380, but the actual answer is both.

I own and carry an LWS32, and have an LWS380 on order (custom serial number SEMPERF1 ) which will become my primary when it arrives. My wife will likely commandeer the .32 as her BUG at that time.

Neither are really range guns, so the added recoil of the .380 doesn't concern me given the close up and personal scenario for which either gun is designed.

I'd do the same again. Buy the .32 now, and order a .380. One year wait, but if you end up not liking the .380 you'll be able to sell it immediately at a HUGE premium.

I hear a lot of people saying that they don't think there's much of a difference between the ballistics of the 2, but the bottom line is still that the .380 has a 50% heavier bullet travelling at the same velocity as that of the .32. That means more energy and penetration......and that's good.

JW, the barrel is only about 1.5" long. .380 won't offer you any appreciable increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    JW, the barrel is only about 1.5" long. .380 won't offer you any appreciable increase.
    May I ask how you come to that conclusion?

If you check the balistics tables, you find that both come out of the same length barrel at very close to the same velocity. Doesn't matter what the barrel length is, as long as it's the same for each the end velocity will be very similar.

The .380 is throwing a projectile that's about 50% heavier than that of the .32 on average. Since kinetic energy is a function of mass and velocity (1/2 of the product of mass and the square of the velocity) as long as the velocity between the 2 is comparable, the one with the larger mass will generate greater energy.

Example directly from the Guns and Ammo balistics table:

.32 60gr JHP at 1000 fps = 133 ftlbs energy
    .380 90gr JHP at 1000 fps = 200 ftlbs energy (50% increase over the .32)

Whether that's a significant difference in a SD scenario or not, might be subject to debate......but if there's any incremental advantage to be wrung out of a little pocket gun, I sure as heck will take it!

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I've got a LWS .380 on order also and plan to stay with my decision. I've read that Larry Seecamp carries a .32 though and have been wondering why he chose it over a .380? Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    May I ask how you come to that conclusion?

If you check the balistics tables, you find that both come out of the same length barrel at very close to the same velocity. Doesn't matter what the barrel length is, as long as it's the same for each the end velocity will be very similar.
    Actually it does. Loads are built for average barrel lengths, typically 3.5 or 4-6"(and the spec barrel may not reflect the average barrel on a carry gun). Slower powders perform better in longer barrels. I looked for specs on the Seecamps, but couldn't readily find them. Perhaps Larry something on hand...? I didn't go into it, but I believe some of the impetus for the .380 was the wider variety of loads. Neither .380 nor .32 approach the numbers of a modest 9mm; actual wounding is very subjective and relative (effect on the recipient).

Either way, I can't give credence to an $800 .380 for carry. If you use it, its gone. (Not everyone has the same budget, either...) Possibly/probably for good. For the same money, you could have two .32s so that you have something for Mongo's friends after the cops cart Mongo and your Seecamp away.

Links