Gonna start a project CC pistol

This is a discussion on Gonna start a project CC pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I bought this Llama full size pseudo 1911 for $125.00. Had less than 150 rounds through it when I bought it; now has ...

Thread: Gonna start a project CC pistol

Gonna start a project CC pistol

Hey all,

I bought this Llama full size pseudo 1911 for $125.00. Had less than 150 rounds through it when I bought it; now has >500 with no discernable wear. Doesn't like 230Gr Hydra Shoks, but eats Gold Dots wwithout missing a beat.
    Has been in my Beltster for more than a month. It has worn holes in several undershirts because every edge is like a knife. Dunno if it's because it's an inexpensive pistol or what, but I'm gonna spend the weekend with the Dremmel and some jewlers files and try to transform this into a comfortable carry piece. Figure if I screw it up, I'll only be out the $125.00. Not taking this lightly, but it's less to lose than my Kimber or my Para Warthog.

Some "Before" Pics:

I'll post up pics of my progress if anybody is interested. Lemme know.

Steve
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

2. Remove Ads

I'm just curious exactly which surfaces you're going to work on. Sounds interesting to me.

Assistant Administrator
    san antone - if your main work is ''de-sharpening'' external sharpnesses then go ahead - but avoid internals like hammer, disconnector and sear.

Your only problem will be how to refinish any bright edges. From pics looks like blued so - could well be judicious use of cold blue will do the trick - and then keep things protected by a good rub of RIG or CLP etc.

Feedback is mandated
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The serrated areas on the slide (front and back), the edges of the hammer, the rear site edges, whole arc of the muzzle end of the slide, and the lower edges of the bottom of the slide just above the dovetail safety.

They munch my clothes like a rasp.

Interesting project. I too am interested to see what you do about the finish. Are you just going to have to buff it a little bit I guess to take the edge off, or is this going to be pretty radical?

Assistant Administrator
    May I suggest - ''judicious'' removal of those edges.

In a Dremel - fit a cloth mop and impregnate that with some polishing compound - even toothpaste will do - or Simichrome.

Use that until by feel, the rasping aspect is decreased or removed - may take a while. Forget about bluing removal - just keep polishing until it feels better then cold blue to touch up with Oxpho, 44/40 or any good cold blue.

Cheaper guns do seem to have a finish problem sometimes but a patient approach should yield a good result.
    Chris - P95

It's a cheap gun, so I'm probably gonna go a little stupid on it with the edge removal. Won't remove any mating surfaces except for the last 2 or 3mm of the rear of the slide. This is more of an experiment to see what I can do with it. Absolutely unfriendly for carry with its' edges as sharp as thay are currently.
    Don't really trust it for everyday carry so I carried my Springfield V10 in my PagerPal this last month I carried this in my Beltster.

MIGHT try to polish on the feed ramp to see if I can make it eat the Hydra Shoks, 'cause currently it FTF at least two of every three. Who knows- this may be beyond my abilities. Hate to have this thing blow up in my hand.

Assistant Administrator
    Feed ramp polish is IMO always a good move - can't go wrong.

Check mag's too - make sure feed lips suit.
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by san antone rr
    It's a cheap gun, so I'm probably gonna go a little stupid on it with the edge removal. Won't remove any mating surfaces except for the last 2 or 3mm of the rear of the slide. This is more of an experiment to see what I can do with it. Absolutely unfriendly for carry with its' edges as sharp as thay are currently.
    Don't really trust it for everyday carry so I carried my Springfield V10 in my PagerPal this last month I carried this in my Beltster.

MIGHT try to polish on the feed ramp to see if I can make it eat the Hydra Shoks, 'cause currently it FTF at least two of every three. Who knows- this may be beyond my abilities. Hate to have this thing blow up in my hand.
    Yeah, it may be a cheap gun, but as you said it works without a problem. I would suggest having it professionally dehorned by a smith and anything else done you feel you need. This may run you 300.00 for dehorning, having the ramp polished and anything else. I will set a limit at 300.00. Why set out to damage a good pistol.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Like I said, I'd nevr carry this as my primary, and I'd like to see what I can do with the files and Dremmel, so I'm gonna play. Even the best gunsmiths gotta start somewhere

Well and I wouldn't pay for any kind of work on a $125 gun either. That's just me though.

Lead Moderator
    I do a lot of smith work myself. But wouldn't try to dehorn even a cheap gun. too hard to keep the lines running straight and true. And I have access to a machine shop.

If you do try it out since you need to reblue try Blue wonder reblue kit i havent had a chance to use it yet but couple people i know say it is cat meow for home blueing

Links