Help Choosing a HK

This is a discussion on Help Choosing a HK within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about getting a HK pistol for CC . I am not that familiar with a de cocking lever and the different trigger ...

Thread: Help Choosing a HK

Distinguished Member

Help Choosing a HK

I am thinking about getting a HK pistol for CC . I am not that familiar with a de cocking lever and the different trigger options they offer , like the LEM . I mainly shoot 1911 's , double action revolvers and glocks . Which HK do you like and if you were me would you get the same pistol .
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

USP40c or P2000sk

I have two H&Ks, a full size USP45 and a compact USP40. If I were looking for my first H&K for carry, I'd either get the USP40c or the newer P2000sk model in .40, which is a little smaller than the USP40c. These are both excellent guns, highly reliable and accurate. They are quite lightweight and compact for easy concealment. Here is my USP40c and a Lunde photo of his P2000sk:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    I am thinking about getting a HK pistol for CC . I am not that familiar with a de cocking lever and the different trigger options they offer , like the LEM . I mainly shoot 1911 's , double action revolvers and glocks . Which HK do you like and if you were me would you get the same pistol .
    If you shoot Glocks and DA then the LEM will be slight difference. The P2000SK LEM is as simple to carry as the Glock, in that it has no decock or safety levers. The P2000SK in DA/SA has a simple button style decock and no safety. Either style trigger ae personal preference choices. The pistol itself is easy to control, offers great reliability and accuracy. An excellent CC option.

The USPc is also a good choice, though a bit bigger. It does offer increased magazine capacity and choice of triggers. It has a safety/ decock lever that allows cocked and locked carry if you prefer 1911 style. One advantage the USPc has over the P2000SK is the caliber choice. You can have the USPc in .45acp if desired.

The other CC standout from HK is the P7. These are unique in function in that there are no controls other than the squeeze cock lever on the grip and the trigger. They are wonderfully slim and compact, very pointable and accurate. They have a light SA trigger that many people love. Available in 9mm and .40 caliber, but a bit expensive.

Of those three, all are perfectly good CC guns. Though I don't carry the USPc, it is my favorite range gun. I do carry the P2000SK and have come to think this is one of the best CCW produced. The P7 is truely outstanding but takes a little getting used to. Though a bit heavy, the P7 is the most concealable of the three.

Any HK is a good choice. Good luck.

Lead Moderator
    I tried the p2000 and really liked it. This from someone who has owned a USP since 93'.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I love the USP platform. they just feel right. I carry my compact and the fullsize is on the nightstand. V1 Can be carried, cocked and locked with a decocker. The new HK 45c is a little slimmer. I would hold(shoot if possible) the USPc or the new HK 45c.

GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Some folks like variety, I confess to not being one of them. I've owned a P7k3, 2 P7M8s, a USP 9mm, an SP-89 and a 91. HKs are fine, beautiful guns. They are overpriced (except in the case of the P7s, ironically), parts are generally inaccessible, and the customer service has a generally "iffy" rep.

A DAK offers nothing, save a longer trigger pull, and more intricate lockwork compared to your Glock. Controls are more complex and (IMO) unnecessary given your other choices of 1911 and Glock. I would suggest a second Glock...or 1911. It is, of course, your boat to float.

Thumbs up P2000

I carry a p2000 and love it. It is a version 3 with the decocker and no safety. It conceals well but the 2000sk would be better. I love the .40 round and it gives me 12+1. I carry it with one in the chamber and the hammer down or decocked. This makes the first trigger pull heavey with sa after that. It is very comfortable to shoot and accurate.

You can not go wrong with a HK. Eats everything and go's bang every time.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

I own a H&K P2000 DA/SA in .40cal. You'll find them tad slimmer than the USPc's. The P2000s are limited to 9, 40, & 357. My only compliant about the Hk's, is that the initial DA trigger pull is way more heavy than it has to be. I'm having that worked on now by GrayGuns. But overall quality is top notch. Hard part is deciding which trigger to get. IMO, Sigs DAK is much better than the HK LEM. I didn't particularly care for the LEM trigger, way too much uptake. Big contrast from Glocks & 1911's. Good luck.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

We had a thread a few weeks back, where I think someone said that in stressful encounters the average trigger pull applied is 25lbs. The HK has 12 and 6+ depending on trigger. I bought a Kimber a couple of months ago with a 3lb trigger. For a defensive Handgun it is not as important as for a target gun. Hk are accurate Handguns, so are every make and model we all carry( or we wouldn't). No matter what gun you get it's as good as you are!! The #1 requirement is it must go bang!!
    I rate HK,SIG,glock,and so on.......
    I have never had a failure of any kind with either of my USP's
    I'm not a target shooter , I know it can happen I hear. I like the safety of the USP V1 you can carry it so many way's.
    I would get a HK 45ct The tactical will have the HK match trigger, Or what I carry USPc .40 12+1.
    Which ever model you pick, You will end up the a fighting weapon that don't Quit. All the makers are so close nowadays if you can get it to shoot you can train with it!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I have HKs, the .45 USPf and .40 P2000sk, both with the LEM trigger. Some shooters have a love-hate relationship with the LEM vs. DA/SA. For me, I changed the springs to the "light LEM" configuration (about 5.5 / 4 lb pull) and am very comfortable with both the action and the safety when carried. Try out the LEM as well as the DA/SA versions. Note that on the P2000sk, if purchased as a DA/SA, you cannot change it to a LEM. I bought the LEM version. My fullsize .45 came in DA/SA and I had that converted to the light LEM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    I would get a HK 45ct The tactical will have the HK match trigger
    +1, Get a USP-CT the match trigger is the the best trigger action option they offer and makes a big difference.

I'm not sure (cdwolf may know better) from what I have read on HKpro.com forums. I think the match trigger system is also now being used in the newer model HK45 and HK45c
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

I carry an HK p2000 LEM trigger and love it. I will say I shoot my Sig 226 target much better. The Sig for target is a tack driver. But I am more than pleased with my HK for defensive shooting. I think the LEM trigger is a bit long for target. Well shooting my HK in defensive drills I do just fine. I have never had any problems with The HK or the Sig both have well over 1,000 rounds

My wife has a USP Compact 9mm, it is a very sweet shooter. Other than a ammo related problem it always goes bang.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for your input. I am leaning toward the P2000 and USP Compact in 9mm . I will have to hold one to make up my mind . I couldn't find one to rent .

Any of the below.........
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Links