New 642 owner - Page 2

New 642 owner

This is a discussion on New 642 owner within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ctr Removing the lock is not too difficult. It will void the warranty, but who cares. There are good directions out on ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 642 owner

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Removing the lock is not too difficult. It will void the warranty, but who cares. There are good directions out on the internet with pictures, but here are the cliff notes.

Remove the grips, cylinder, crane arm, and side plate, Remove the hammer spring and hammer. Remove the safety locking plate and screw from the frame. Take a small screwdriver (eye glasses size) and push the U shaped piece toward the front of the revolver while similtaniously apply pressure to the trigger lock from the outside of the frame (the trigger lock key servers this purpose well). The lock will pop out. Now use the screwdriver to pull the U shaped piece and spring out being careful not to damage the small spring. Reinstall the hammer and hammer spring, and close it all up. ** Take care not to force any parts when removing the safety lock.

You really don't have to do all that. Remove the hammer, take a small screwdriver as you recommended, above, and gently pry and lift the Lock Arm out. LEAVE the coiled spring, cam, cam retaining clip (U-shaped) etc. intact.

IOW, just remove the Lock Arm.

You can then reinstall it later if you want to sell the gun with lock. That way you're not left with an ugly hole, and it appears the same. You disable the locking mechanism by removing the Lock Arm solely. The Lock Arm has the word 'Locked' on it but you don't see it until after removal of it, nothwithstanding it is internal hammer. The word 'Locked' faces the far side of the frame and that's why you don't initially see it, AFAIK.

Don't file down anything. They won't sell to you a new Lock Arm as it REQUIRES factory installation, you're stuck with the one you have, unless you return the firearm to them for a new Lock Arm, and that would be costly re shipping and labor.

I had a very premature broken trigger stud. Returned gun to Smith under warranty with loose parts, including Lock Arm, that I had removed in doing an inspection of the internals. I did not have any problem getting a warranty repair under that scenario, and I don't see where you are competent to say that removal of the lock, arguably a storage, not safety device, will necessarily void the warranty. Unless you are management for S&W, you cannot make such a statement. Of course, they had to provide me with a new frame, and that issue never arose. I am not disputing that there may be a warranty issue, just that you made such a conclusion, which may not be correct.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rumblefish View Post
    I did not have any problem getting a warranty repair under that scenario, and I don't see where you are competent to say that removal of the lock, arguably a storage, not safety device, will necessarily void the warranty. Unless you are management for S&W, you cannot make such a statement. I am not disputing that there may be a warranty issue, just that you made such a conclusion, which may not be correct.
    Rumblefish, an aptly named handle! I never claimed to represent S&W or work for S&W. Now, rtfm please. From the warranty...

"Defects or malfunctions resulting from careless handling, UNAUTHORIZED ADJUSTMENTS OR MODIFICATIONS made or attempted by anyone other than a qualified gunsmith following Smith & Wesson authorized procedures, or beyond the disassmbly instructions in this manual."

I don't believe S&W, or a manufacturer of any product would care to repair a product within the warranty period if the internal mechanism of the product is altered by the customer. Your example of a broken firearm through regular use is a testament to the excellent customer service provided by S&W, not the acceptability or legal right to do so. S&W or any manufactured could have refused the repair and been within their rights to do so. My point, don't expect the manufactured to repair any product that has been modified. If, in your case, the manfacturer does make the warranty repair, its a strong testament to their customer service, but should not be expected.

Opinions are like apples and oranges. We can agree to disagree.
    Last edited by ctr; April 27th, 2008 at 05:36 PM. Reason: add more

Well, I know where my stimulus check is going...
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Very nice, congrats! You will love carrying your new 642. Mine is my constant companion.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links